Home Forums Chat Forum Watch for an 18th. Any suggestions around £300?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • Watch for an 18th. Any suggestions around £300?
  • rockhopper70

Looking for advice from the STW watch experts.  Son is 18 in a couple of weeks and we don’t have a mega budget. He quite likes a watch but we are looking about a 10th of what his wish list is!
    So, maximum £300, any pointers? Not digital, kind of “blingy” but not too in your face.
    Thanks

salad_dodger

Kids don’t wear watches any more. Have you considered a nice pen?

thekingisdead
    Free Member

A seiko of style / budget to suit.
    It’s very hard to go wrong with a seiko, imo.
    i own 3. 1 modern and 2 from the 70’s

kilo

Seiko 5, there’s some nice ones at the top end of your budget

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/seiko/seiko-5-sports-field-gmt-black-dial-ssk023-new-free-shipping–id32761756.htm#gref

Beaten by 43 seconds!!!

tuboflard

I know nothing about watches so take this with a liberal pinch of salt. The wife has just got back from Las Vegas and was somehow persuaded to buy one of these;

https://www.swatch.com/en-gb/bioceramic-moonswatch.html

I actually quite like it and it’s within budget. I can’t offer any more than that I’m afraid.

Edit. She didn’t buy Mission to Uranus.

vinnyeh
    mattyfez

You’re basicaly looking at a ‘fasion watch’ with a standard quartz movement, and there is nothing wrong with that… as they are very reliable.

Does it need to be waterproof?

Or will it be more of a dress watch?

rockhopper70

Seiko link isn’t working.
    As for salad dodgers suggestion,  he would use a nice pen even less.

Tiboy

my 18th was a Tissot PR100, still going strong as my dress watch 20 year later…

Wally

I went through this and the conclusion was what you think is a nice watch is very different to what your child thinks is. Take time and let them chose. Be prepared for it being a Armani, Michael Kors, Tommy Hilfiger, Lacoste or Hugo Boss.

For £300 in sale I would get a Citizen Ecodrive Titanium 300m BN0118-12L

kilo

It was for the SSK023, bit top end of budget but looks quite nice.

lunge

I got a Tissot PR 200 for my 18th, I don’t wear it much but it definitely gets some wrist time.
    I’d be looking at a Seiko 5 of some kind for that budget, they last well, look good and Arne so are a great choice.

jimw
    Free Member

I would choose a solar watch of a make of your choice. Was given a Titanium Citizen chronograph 22 years ago, it is my daily alarm still and has never had to have a battery change

igm
    kormoran
    Free Member

Crikey I feel old. My 18th was a tag Heuer formula 1, the original one. It was 79.95 in Selfridges.

Mate worked in a jeweller and got me the stainless bracelet for 30 quid when the rubber strap died

rockhopper70

Wally, he absolutely doesn’t want a fashion watch, they’ve already been ruled out in no uncertain terms!

I received a seiko Kinetic For my 30th, love that watch. But makes me feel old thinking it is 24 years old!

Robz
    Free Member

Tissot PRX?

voodoo_chile
    Free Member

Steinhart …nice German divers

matt_outandabout

Has he suggested what style of watch he likes? I’ve bought two for 18th birthdays – one I really liked, one I wouldn’t wear….

rockhopper70

Skeleton apparently, with a steel bracelet.

rOcKeTdOg

my 18th was a Tissot PR100, still going strong as my dress watch 20 year later…

Dress watch? Is it the 19th century where you go out?

In all seriousness, do people have different watches for different occasions?

matt_outandabout

I am hoping for one of these for my birthday – but then I’m 50 in a few weeks, not 18…

Expedition North® Field Mechanical 38mm Eco-Friendly Leather Strap Watch

simondbarnes

The 220 page long watch thread would suggest that they do.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

We got my son and Orient bracelet, can’t remember exactly which one but he’s happy with it. He was wearing it last night with his suit, he was guest of honour at his old schools sports awards night.

IHN

Came here to say Seiko diver, beaten to it by IGM

IHN

Yeah, you could wait for Kryton’s impending fire sale and pick up a bargain, but get in line :-)

jamiemcf

My wife got me a Tissot pr100 when we got married. Not break the bank pricey but I still wear it 11 years in.

I didn’t want a cluttered multi dial face. It’s nice and simple.

I got the black face, sometimes think the blue would have been good.

mattyfez

I think diver style watches are brash, fat and ugly.

What sort of asthetic do they want?

Kryton57

On that note, I think this titanium, 200m, sapphire auto timex is pretty special for £310, and probably closer to his years:

Expedition North® Titanium Automatic 41mm Recycled Fabric Strap Watch

trail_rat
    Free Member

Yes . I’ve a Garmin fenix for day to day as having to carry my phone to know the time seems wasteful. .

If I have my suit on or my kilt. I wear a Seiko bought for my 18th by grandparents.

rOcKeTdOg

What a privileged world we live in.

Cougar

I would get a Citizen Ecodrive

As would I (and indeed I did).  But I’m not 18.

I thought the yoot of today couldn’t read analogue clock faces?  Plenty can’t.

IHN

What a privileged world we live in.

Just you wait until to find out how many people on here have more than one bike, and how much they paid for them.

bikesandboots

10th of what his wish list is

What’s on his wish list? We could suggest options that are on the same theme.

rockhopper70

Philips Fatique?
    Richard Mile?

So far, he’s erring on that Seiko presage cocktail model.

finbar
    Free Member

I’m with @tuboflard, Omega MoonSwatch is a great shout. You can pick a colour/planet that will appeal to your son too.

(Or just get the Mission to Neptune, which is the rarest & coolest)

Kryton57

Omega MoonSwatch

Aesthetically for a teenager perhaps, but it’s derided as being a cheap plastic cash grab by Swatch, please don’t.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.