Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 182 total)
  • Washing up bowls in sinks. Why?
  • nickc

Cos you bloomin should be wasting all that clean water.

This method uses no more water than filling a bowl, and then refilling it again a couple of times after it’s dirty from dishes. Unless you never empty and refill your washing up bowl, in which case the last few items you’re “washing” are in water so dirty you may as well not bother.

You can try all the reasons you like, but compared to either dishwasher or under a running tap, it’s a useless way to “clean” anything.

when the washing up gets chucked in.

If you put all the washing up straight into the bowl, you’ve just made the water dirty, so nothing is being cleaned properly and you’re cracking the sink and crockery.

Lets not get started on separate taps for hot and cold…

jimdubleyou

Not died of botulism yet, and have sparkling clean dishes from a single bowl of water.

argee

The benefits outweigh the negatives for me, our bowl can also be used to then clean floors and so on, it can be used as a portable sick capturing device and many other uses, proper multitool.

ajantom

Recycling that needs washing (cat food tins, etc.) goes in the plastic bowl.
    Everything else goes straight in the DW.

When the bowl is fullish I rinse the recycling. Means the sink isn’t full of manky tins, and I can take the bowl out if I need to soak a pan or something.

nickc

and have sparkling clean dishes from a single bowl of water.

Willing to bet money that while they may look clean, they’re not.

our bowl can also be used to then clean floors

Wash the floor and then wash the dishes you’re going to cook and eat from? I’m going to have to stop now, this thread is making me nauseous

pondo

turn on tap, add fairy to sponge, wash item, rinse off soap, put on rack..no cracking of mugs (it never leaves your hands) no cracking of sink (item never leaves your hands) repeat to finish…

Noted with interest – I’ve always been slightly concerned about just how clean the last few items are.

jimdubleyou

Willing to bet money that while they may look clean, they’re not.

They will be clean (i.e. free from organic matter etc).

They might not be completely sanitised*, which for most people isn’t a big deal.

*btw, this is the same as giving them a wipe with a soapy dishcloth.

nickc

*btw, this is the same as giving them a wipe with a soapy dishcloth.

But then get rinsed under a running tap afterwards. Your dishes have more bacteria on them than mine after washing. Fact. One day, that might come back with a vengeance

steve_b77
    Free Member

Another point, what are kids meant to have a puke bowl by their beds, eh, bet ya didn’t think of that one!!

argee

Some of this reminds me of a place i worked where the cleaner used the same rag for everything, unfortunately we had the toilet next to the kitchenette, you could smell when she’d cleaned it and nobody would be using that for the rest of the day!

jimdubleyou

Your dishes have more bacteria on them than mine after washing. Fact

Double blind tested in a Petri dish fact or internet fact?

TBF, we do use the sanitise / rinse method on chicken chopping boards / other high risk items.

One day, that might come back with a vengeance

One day, your lack of resistance to basic bacteria might come back with a vengeance.

You’ve still used more water than me for no discernible benefit.

cheese@4p

Anyways, each to their own innit. I like my pot sink and plastic bowl, I like my glassware and crockery and I like washing up by hand, listening to the radio and looking out the window.
    The key to efficient washing up, however you do it, is to get rid of most of the food residue from pans, plates etc as soon as you can buy rinsing and/or using a spatula before it has the chance to dry on.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

sweet jesus

of course we have a bowl, it’s the EDC of kitchen centric water tools

as noted, the bowl itself can be cleaned

nickc

Some of this reminds me of a place i worked where the cleaner used the same rag for everything,

Don’t ever go to China where the toilet is often “in” the kitchen in older buildings, and veg is often left to soak next to the loo…and that Chinese loos are squatters…just no.

Double blind tested in a Petri dish fact or internet fact?

I reckon if I could be bothered to Google it, I’ll bet some-one has done a study.

You’ve still used more water than me for no discernible benefit.

I’ve used about the same amount of water to get things cleaner than you have, and given that you do this method with “high risk” stuff you knows it as well….

Paradiso
    Free Member

It saves water and energy. Wash the dishes, then tip water from bowl into a bucket to wash bike, which has been stting outside covered in Rhino Goo.

kayak23

This running water versus bowl thing isn’t a problem for me with my cleverly designed hybrid approach to washing up.

I turn on the hot, squirt of Fairy in the bowl, fill bowl to about 23mm, then turn the tap right down.

I then wash everything in the soapyness and then rinse it under the slow running water before putting it on the rack.

It’s rare that the bowl fills before I’m finished washing up.

I also like looking out of the window and listening to the radio as above.

nickc

fill bowl to about 23mm

because 24mm would be flagrant and conspicuous over-consumption, right? 😂

stumpy01

It never ceases to amaze me how ‘right’ some people are on here, and because other people do things a different way, they are ‘wrong’.

Point scoring over washing up bowls vs dishwashers…..lol.

FWIW some stuff shouldn’t go in a dishwasher….wooden objects, items with certain type of print/patterns, a lot of non-stick/anodised stuff recommends not putting in dishwasher, plastic objects get stained/tainted, sharp knives that you don’t want to go blunt etc.

nickc

Point scoring over washing up bowls vs dishwashers…..lol.

Or just gently taking the piss out of each other over nothing consequential…I doubt @jimdubleyou or anyone else is frothing any more than I am….

revs1972
    Free Member

I’m assuming that with TJ’s background in nursing one could eat out of his sink with little risk to health. I would be loathe to do the same in anyone else’s.

Not casting any aspersions on TJ but don’t assume all health professionals follow their own rules. A couple of them I know live in veritable shit pits and lead chaotic lives 😂.

martinhutch

fill bowl to about 23mm

Bit vague.

revs1972
    Free Member

And why do people leave sharp knives blade up in the drainer ?
    My wife does it, probably learned from her mother who does the same thing !!

stumpy01

Ah yes. Domestic chore bantz. Got it. Sorry, dunno why I needed it explaining to me.

😉😂

jimdubleyou

Domestic chore bantz.

Dunno what you’re all on about, I just chuck it all in the dishwasher anyway, plates, crystal glass, wooden chopping blocks, sharp knives etc

🤣

molgrips
    Free Member

If you put all the washing up straight into the bowl, you’ve just made the water dirty, so nothing is being cleaned properly

Yeah it is. That’s what soap is for.

But anyway. Bacterial exposure is good for you in all but a few cases. They all keep each other in check and you’re much less likely to get ill.

cheese@4p

I seem to remember that some of you also clean bike parts in the dishwasher too?

nickc

Ah yes. Domestic chore bantz.

come for the bikes, stay for the lifestyle advice…It’s the Singletrack way

nickc

Bacterial exposure is good for you in all but a few cases

yeah true dat, but quite a few of the “all but a few cases” are the ones that lurk in kitchens.

Tue story.

Once dated a woman who worked for one of the larger chicken processing companies. they did a survey (with Asda) about peoples cooking/prep habits with raw chicken. a surprising amount of people are washing chicken before cooking it, hence the rise in the “cook in the bag” chickens you see on supermarket shelves now, as an attempt to help limit the spread of campylobacter.

ransos
    Free Member

It’s 2021 and it still amazes me that some folk either don’t have a dishwasher, or those that do still wash anything (based on it fitting) by hand.

I appreciate it’s difficult to think outside of your STW-heaven middle-class (soap) bubble, but not everyone owns their own home and not everyone has room in their kitchen.

Before I had my own place, I used a bowl simply because stuff gets broken far less often IME.

mmannerr

I was taught by grandma to use two bowls – one for washing and second one for rinsing – but then again there was no sink at all. And to sort the dishes so that no food remains on plates when washing them.
    They lived on farm and had running water installed just in the late 80s.

molgrips
    Free Member

yeah true dat, but quite a few of the “all but a few cases” are the ones that lurk in kitchens

Yes, I’m pretty lax with being clean but I don’t mess about with chicken.

slowoldman

Well apparently my washing up technique is filthy, my food tastes of Fairy and I should probably be dead by now. Oh and it’s a long time since I visited but I’m pretty sure my relatives in Germany used to wash up in a sink.

ThePilot
    Free Member

I use one because I have a hole in my sink.
    I don’t know why but I thought it was a good idea to bang a bag of frozen jointed chicken against it to break it up for my dog.
    Unfortunately, I did not succeed in breaking up the chicken but I did succeed in putting a big hole in the side of my sink.
    I wash up in the bowl and tip the water into the second half sink.
    I can’t ever imagine using one otherwise.
    As others have said, there is mouldy sludge on the underside of the bowl and on the sink.
    I’ve had a half-hearted attempt to get a plumber but not managed. Unfortunately, it’s an odd size so I am looking at £200 for the sink only.
    Damn expensive chicken that.

db

Camping yes
    Home no

The sinks at campsites are normally HUGE so it helps, plus we don’t have a sink built into our van so always carry a couple of washing up bowls with us.

toemul
    Free Member

Lovely effort argee….. I hope. 😬

Cougar

In the old house, I had a washing-up bowl. The reason? The kitchen was a tiny late-1800s mid-terrace affair and every inch of space was a premium. Living on my own meant I generated dirty dishes &c slowly so it made little sense to do a sinkful of washing up twice a day. Using a bowl meant that I could rinse off plates down the gap between bowl and sink, then put them in bowl until I got around to washing them rather than tying up valuable worktop space. I could also lift out the bowl temporarily if I needed the sink for something else.

Fast-forward to today. I have a considerably bigger kitchen, a sink with a separate mini-sink drainage thing, a partner who’s taken over washing-up detail, and no bowl. I also have half the amount of intact crockery that I had 12 months ago. This week’s casualty was my favourite crystal glass which I’m told spontaneously cracked when it was placed in the sink, despite me washing it without incident for probably two decades prior and it now sporting what looks very much like impact damage on the rim where the crack starts. Sigh.

breadcrumb

We used to have a bowl in our old metal sink for all the above reasons.

We don’t have one in our new porcelain/ceramic sink but we have a mesh on the bottom that helps not bash the sink too badly and let’s the dirt settle to the bottom.

I don’t really get this unhygienic argument, that’s more a user error than because your using a bowl.

piemonster

Well apparently my washing up technique is filthy, my food tastes of Fairy and I should probably be dead by now. Oh and it’s a long time since I visited but I’m pretty sure my relatives in Germany used to wash up in a sink.,

Perhaps you are dead, and perhaps this is actually purgatory.

Which frankly, would be a reasonable explanation for everything else.

Cougar

It’s 2021 and it still amazes me that some folk either don’t have a dishwasher,

As above, I never had the room. I do now, but it’ll take some major rearranging to accommodate it. I might fix it with a new kitchen at some point.

Lets not get started on separate taps for hot and cold…

You know there’s a reason for that? Historically, the hot water wasn’t a particularly clean supply, so they were kept separate to avoid contaminating the otherwise drinkable cold supply.

And why do people leave sharp knives blade up in the drainer ?

My OH has been a mum for 20-odd years so ‘safety first’ is second nature to her. It’s taken me months to finally persuade her not to jam my sharp, expensive knives point-first into a metal drainer.

kerley
    Free Member

For those bowl users, what colour is your bathroom suite – avocado or peach?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 182 total)

The topic ‘Washing up bowls in sinks. Why?’ is closed to new replies.