Home Forums Chat Forum Was there a Freestyle Libre thread on here?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Was there a Freestyle Libre thread on here?
  • kormoran
    Free Member

Did I imagine it or was there a thread a while back? I had a vague recollection of one but after searching I can find mentions of them but not a specific thread

fossy

There was, but any questions ?  Son had been on one for a long time (self funded by us then NHS), but has got a closed loop system now (thank god) – amazing movement in treatment from 10 years ago when he was diagnosed.

Beagleboy

Happy to help with any questions as well. 30+ years a Type 1 and have been wearing Libre sensors since 2019. Fantastic things.

kormoran
    Free Member

Thanks, yes after a round of tests at my gp I’ve got a libre 3 on my arm. I’m not diabetic, but I had some peculiar symptoms that suggested I could be hence the sensor. It’s pretty damn impressive!

My glucose levels are within the normal range but I’ve found that modifying my diet has stopped some horrible dips that left me in a black hole. That has amounted to basically smaller and less sweet breakfasts, regular snacks like almonds and more water. I’m also reconsidering oat milk as it is bloody spikey.

I’m wondering how else to try and smooth things out, and also why I get some repeated big spikes in the night when I’m asleep? That seems odd, it seems to be after a carby evening meal

I have to say seeing what different foods does to your glucose levels has been a total eye opener. I reckon a lot of people would be less inclined to shovel in the crap if they could too!

fossy

The dips are a worry, ie low glucose – exercise or general dips for un-known reasons.   Otherwise the keep a log what happens.

Spikes are easy, sugars of all sorts.

PS have you had any illness recently ?

fossy

Just explain your ‘normal’ diet you had on a regular day ?

kormoran
    Free Member

I had an unknown virus around July, possibly COVID. I tested negative several times but I think I was over it during the testing period and I was in a post viral stage ie fatigue.

I have been keeping a diary on paper and on the sensor.

kormoran
    Free Member

Typically I would have a cup of tea around 7am. Breakfast at 930/10 muesli+granola+bit of fruit+ yoghurt. 1pm Lunch probably 2 toast with either marmite or cheese, slice of homemade cake and cup of tea. 3pm afternoon brew and cake. 730 dinner, probably homemade pasta, veg, cheese, tofu/fish. 9pm brew.

I since dropped the granola and fruit, swapped cake for almonds and drunk more water

J-R

Have a listen to this Zoe podcast on blood glucose control, what causes spikes and dips in normal people and how to control them by the things you eat (like nuts):

Flaperon

I tried one out of curiosity to see what nights out of bed do to my blood sugar control (answer: not pretty), but would hate to wear one full time. They don’t work on skinny people and the filament irritated the muscle on the back of my arm.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.