Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • Was I doing something wrong?
  • yunki
    Free Member

wrong

crikey
    Free Member

The sensible, adult thing to do would be to call round to those flats underneath and apologise, and explain that you are new and English….

j_me
    Free Member

Your lucky it was a Sunday, any other day and you would have probably got a kicking 😉

simondbarnes

Glad you’re not a neighbour of mine.

molgrips
    Free Member

and to get upset because people say you are wrong goes a long way to explaining why you’d do something so insensitive to others in the first place I guess

Jesus Christ.

I wanted to know WHY people thought exactly I was doing something wrong, because I presumably missed something since I thought it’d be ok. Why is that being insensitive? If I was absolutely sure I was being unreasonable I’d have posted a rant, not a question, wouldn’t I?

You’re in a different country with a different way of doing things, you’re going to suffer a huge amount if you think that you can teach the whole German population to learn to live to your rules, norms and ideas

Hello? What? You’re imagining things. They scolded me, I stopped. How am I trying to teach them anything? And thanks for patronising about being in a foreign country.

If you can’t see why washing a bike on a balcony is not either good manners or considerate, then you really do need to have a word with yourself. If you did it above me, I’d be shouting too, it’s taking the piss big time IMO

WHY?!

I’m a very good neighbour. If I wasn’t, I’d have carried on. I made a mistake and altered my behaviour. I want to know why it was a bad thing! If I was a bad neighbour I’d have carried on and not cared about it, no?

The sensible, adult thing to do would be to call round to those flats underneath and apologise, and explain that you are new and English

Yeah I would but my German’s not so good.

donsimon
    Free Member

And thanks for patronising about being in a foreign country.

De nada.
    But you are showing signs of ignorance here and I thought you might need it spelling out.

derp
    Free Member

I’m a very good neighbour.

Evidently not…..hence the shouting.

molgrips
    Free Member

But you are showing signs of ignorance here and I thought you might need it spelling out.

Hmm. Specific rules about waste water perhaps I could have used, but generic stuff about ‘you’re not at home now sonny’ is not very useful.

molgrips
    Free Member

Evidently not…..hence the shouting.

One mis-understanding does not make a bad person does it?

allthepies
    Free Member

I’d imagine the balcony drain is for rainwater runoff, not an outlet for all and sundry to start pouring discarded waste water down 🙂

donsimon
    Free Member

One mis-understanding does not make a bad person does it?

So I wasn’t being patronising then? 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

If it’s a German custom specifically not to let water pass someone else’s window, then I didn’t know about it.

CashCowell
    Free Member

I’d hope there are some punitive measures that your neighbours can take advantage of to prevent such anti-social behaviour in the future.

crikey
    Free Member

Yeah I would but my German’s not so good.

Don’t play the dumbo foreigner card, get round there, phrase book in hand and do your best; it will prove that you are a good neighbour and will earn you many brownie points with the other folk.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

WHY?!

BECAUSE YOU’RE SHOWERING EVERYONE IN CRAPPY WATER YOU BLEEDIN EEJIT!!!!

I’m a very good neighbour.

Maybe you are, but it seems you’re rather socially inept!

No offence intended, just the truth. YOU asked the question and expected everyone to back you up, then copped a strop when we don’t! 🙂

yunki
    Free Member

stroppolopogus..

when you live in a block of flats there are a million and one noises that you get used to over time.. any noise that is not regular or is out of place is picked up instantly..

such as (perhaps) the sound of water cascading from the fourth floor water spout without natural cause..

especially if it’s grubby water.. from the daft english fellows bicycle..
    ‘why does he wash it up there!!? It could splash.. or a gust could catch it..

has he no decency!? Why does he not wash it down at ground level!? where there is not so much likelihood of offending people!!? has he no manners!?

he has obviously not lived in a tower block before if he has logically reasoned that it is ok to pour ones effluents onto the ground below..

and he’s doing it on a flippin’ sunday..

arse’

hora
    Free Member

I find exposing myself works wonders. The Germans just assume I’m one of them heading down to the beach.

Stoner
    Free Member

I’d hope there are some punitive measures that your neighbours can take advantage of to prevent such anti-social behaviour in the future.

Annex poland?

derp
    Free Member

Don’t play the dumbo foreigner card, get round there, phrase book in hand and do your best; it will prove that you are a good neighbour and will earn you many brownie points with the other folk.

Could just use Google translate, print of a short note and pop it under their doors. Sorted.

Maybe attach a mint as well….have to be something thin though. After 8 probably.

molgrips
    Free Member

BECAUSE YOU’RE SHOWERING EVERYONE IN CRAPPY WATER YOU BLEEDIN EEJIT!!!!

But no water went on anyone or anyone’s property. Really, it was well clear of everything.

but it seems you’re rather socially inept!

That’s not under debate 🙂

YOU asked the question and expected everyone to back you up

Certainly not! I was wondering if anyone thought that water piercing their airspace was intrinsically a bad thing. Water going on your or your things, yes. Passing your window, no.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Was I doing something wrong?

To answer your question, or rather point you in the direction of getting a satisfactory answer, can I suggest you try asking your neighbours. I’m sure they will speak perfect English.

crikey
    Free Member

Es tut mir leid.

Ich wusch mein Fahrrad und verursachte ein Problem. Ich bin neu und ich war nicht meine Absicht jemand zu beleidigen.

Wieder einmal.

Es tut mir leid.

I am sorry.

I washed my bike and caused a problem. I am new and I did not mean to offend anyone.

Once again.

I am sorry.

That’s my best google translate effort….

crikey
    Free Member

That’s not under debate

Only because it’s bleedin’ obvious. You’ve cocked up, go make it better.

allthepies
    Free Member

Actually reads, “Did you enjoy my urine waterfall cascading down from my balcony ?”

CashCowell
    Free Member

Lordy! It’s the possibilty that has got them upset… they’re trying to make you conform to the accepted standards of the apartment block.

Sod ’em. Do your own thing, but don’t blame any of us if you become a pariah.

yunki
    Free Member

try parcelling your turds up and lobbing them out of your window into a dogmuck bin out in the street following your same logic..

molgrips
    Free Member

Turds is not the same as ever so slightly dirty water. At least mine aren’t. Stop being silly.

I’ve realised that I am actually far more stressed about two things that have really upset me here in Germany.

1) They recently overturned the law (effectively) with regards cyclepaths which means they are not necessarily mandatory, however many drivers don’t seem to know this. I’ve been beeped at shouted at a few times for doing nothing more than riding along a straight country road. So now I can’t cycle without either having to bimble along cycle paths with all their associated problems or worry about who I’m p*ssing off.

2) All the grass areas nearby are covered in dog poo so we can’t let our 2yo daughter run about and play properly cos she’ll end up standing in it.

5thElefant
    Free Member

2) All the grass areas nearby are covered in dog poo so we can’t let our 2yo daughter run about and play properly cos she’ll end up standing in it.

Just hose her down on the balcony?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Slaps forehead at the irony of that ^^^^ post 🙄

molgrips
    Free Member

Heh. The balcony is now a bit dirty and I am scared to clean it off in case more water spills out of the drain.

Oh wait – brainwave! I can tie a bucket to the railing and lower it down to collect water from the spout..

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Old tale – Young Jockanese army wife is in a shop in Germany, her kid’s having a tantrum and won’t shut up. So she does as you did in those days, and wallops him one around the head!

German Frau in the queue looks on horrified, and shouts out, “You must not do that! In Germany we do not beat our children”.

Wee wifey replies, “Aye, that may be right but at least in Scotland we don’t gas our Fu**king Jews!, So I guess thats us quits…”

😆

Kevevs
    Free Member

I repeat “ask them”. the people you are supposedly pissing off will have more information and a better point of view than STW. Go argue with them!

yetirose
    Free Member

got to say it but above other things DONT MENTION THE WAR. 🙂

donsimon
    Free Member

I repeat “ask them”. the people you are supposedly pissing off will have more information and a better point of view than STW. Go argue with them!

+1 and don’t forget, don’t mention the war!

molgrips
    Free Member

An argument won’t go well. Best to let it go I think.

Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Was I doing something wrong?’ is closed to new replies.