Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Want to build a single speed – need advice.
  • dickydownes
    Free Member

I have a small budget so is it best to buy a complete bike and upgrade as you go along meaning possibly getting a mediocre frame and similar parts or buying a good frame only and trying to source parts separately?

I do like the idea of building a project.

In terms of putting something together where should you spend the money and where can you skimp without really noticing?

Edric64
    Free Member

Buy the best frame its the important bit ,second hand is good I got an 853 inbred for £40 not single speed specific I just use a singulator and gradually built it up cost me about £600 altogether

dickydownes
    Free Member

Singulator? -what’s that?

Edric64
    Free Member

Like a rear mech but fixed in place it takes up the slack chain on vertical dropout frames

Muke
    Free Member

If you want off the shelf I would buy a Trek Marlin and just change the fork and brakes when they break/money allows. Whats your budget ?

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/trek-marlin-29-ss-mountain-bike-id64533.html

Duffer
    Free Member

I too enjoy building a bike. You get to choose which parts you use, and get a real sense of achievement.

However, you’ll always pay more by building it yourself.

With regard to buying quality; scrimp on the gears 😉

dickydownes
    Free Member

Budget is an immediate budget of £250, but can drip feed in more money during the year.

Bucko

Keep an eye on the classifieds, I bought a SS Inbred for just over £200 from a guy on here. Some of the components were pretty basic but I’ve upgraded the worst of them by further classified hunting.

Bregante

How tall are you? I’ve got a 90s steel Kona singlespeed in the garage that I can let go for £150. Needs some fettling but its a lovely ride.

dickydownes
    Free Member

I’m 5’10” or thereabouts.

Bregante

Well it’s an 18″ I think. I’m 6’1 and it’s a tad small for me.

dickydownes
    Free Member

Any pics? More details about it? Email in profile.

dickydownes
    Free Member

I have seen an INbred 29er for sale – a good start?

birdo
    Free Member

Have you checked out the vitus SS on CRC

kevhl
    Free Member

I’d be looking to take up bregante on the Kona… I’m about to build my mid 90s one into a singlespeed, although mines been setup for disks. They still ride great!

Bregante

I’ll try to sort out some pics for you in the morning if you like. Whereabouts are you?

dickydownes
    Free Member

Leeds.

Bregante

Manchester here. Will try to get some pics in the morning and mail them to you

mattjg
    Free Member

I have seen an INbred 29er for sale – a good start?

Yes, I have 2 buddies with those & they rate them.

SS/29 is a good combo..

dickydownes
    Free Member

The Inbred I saw is just the frame. Any thoughts on a carbon fork?

mattjg
    Free Member

Niners if you can afford them, but on your budget you can’t.

I believe these are Exotics he got at a good price via classifieds: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/my-first-29er-2#post-5045268

& look for user Cheezpleez he has a steel Swift fork on an 29 Inbred and rides it good.

I now have a Niner I got second hand, I had a Swift and a 26er ‘2 poles’ carbon, the Niners are clearly better IMO, but expensive. The ‘2 poles’ could best be describe as ‘twangy’, they didn’t really do damping.

mattjg
    Free Member

Also I’m going to commit SS heresy here and say don’t dismiss sus forks. I’ve been riding sus forks recently, after several months on rigid, it works a lot better than I expected.

Keef
    Free Member

mattjg – Member
    Also I’m going to commit SS heresy here and say don’t dismiss sus forks. I’ve been riding sus forks recently, after several months on rigid, it works a lot better than I expected.

stone him,stone him now ! 😉

tomhoward

Another heathen here. I built mine (inbred 26er with rebas) as I would a geared bike, just with out the, erm, gears.

Bloody brilliant it is….

I tried to do it on a budget, really I did, but now it’s finished, I realise the frame is one of he cheapest bits on the bike 😳

Get it built as cheap as you can, but accept you will want to keep upgrading!

northernerindevon

I did it the ‘frame then build it up as I could afford to’ way – having said that it wasn’t planned; saw Orange R8 853 frame in blue and white going cheap and it was a ‘have to have it’ moment. Mines built up with 100mm Fox forks and some blingy bits and I fookin’ loves it… Get the best frame you can and upgrade as you go… Coming from a carbon FS 30 speed it was a revelation in simplicity! Love them both equally now…

mattjg
    Free Member

Sounds to me like we’re needing a “show me your suspended singlespeeds thread”, anyone going to do the honours?

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Want to build a single speed – need advice.’ is closed to new replies.