Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • VW t5 Transporter engine chipping
  • wobbliscott
    Free Member

Looking at a T5 camper conversion. The van it is based on has a 2.0ltr TDi engine at 102 (or 104?) bhp. Thought i’ve not driven it yet this sounds a bit wheezy to me, especially when loaded up. I’ve seen a few on the classified that claim to have been chipped upto 140bhp. What are these re-mapped engines like? Are they effectively the same engine or do the 102 bhp engines differ slot (e.g. smaller turbo).

Not bothered about performance or ‘making progress’ – its a van, but would just like a bit of poke for when i’m pulling out of junctions or driving up steep hills, especially when loaded upto the gunnells.

Cheers.

vorlich
    Free Member

I recently bought a Transit Custom, it’s 150 ish PS, I could maybe tolerate the 125, but 100 would be grim, so I reckon you’re right to be looking for more power/torque.

i_like_food

Not sure what the difference between a chip and a remap (assume a chip is a physical thing whereas a remap is changing the software?).

We had our 1.9 T5 remapped from 96 to 130bhp (both those numbers are dredged up from memory so may be complete s#*t). It made a massive difference to how easy it was to drive and reduced fuel use… not sure how but perhaps as I didn’t need to rev the crap out of it to make it move.

If it’s out of warranty I’d definitely do it although chatting to a mate of mine apparently there are good and not so good remappers out there so maybe ask on the T5 facebook page for a recommendation close to you?

colp

You want a proper rolling road remap.
    Check out Pendle Performance

benjamins11
    Free Member

My understanding that all of the T5 2 ltr TDI engines are essentially the same even down to the turbo – so ripe for big gains on a remap. Mines currently 84bhp and I cant wait to get it remapped.

Neb

My 2.0l T5 was remapped by Pendle performance, it made a massive difference!

84bhp to 164bhp.

h4muf
    Free Member

Mines gone from 102 to 140 and its nippy!

lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

Yeah I second colp on the remap. A chip is a one size fits all jobby, it may give you what you want but maybe not. A proper tune by someone who knows that particular engine type is just in a different league.

Tuning boxes, don’t, just don’t.

aP
    Free Member

The 102 gearbox isn’t rated beyond 150ish, and I believe that the intercooler would need to be updated if you take them too far. We’re thinking of mildly pushing our 102 to 130ish which would just give a bit more usability. We have done 80mph runs down to Italy and been over the Alps and the Dolomites in it so it’s quite ok now, it’d just give a bit more for motorway overtaking etc.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

thanks. I need to take it for a test drive. Not sure how heavy the pop top and all the camper gubbins comes in at, but coming from a 160bhp SMax I suppose its bound to feel not quite as spritely. Not too fussed about overall performance so long as it can cruise comfortably at normal motorway speeds (70mph and 80mph when in France) and I can actually pull out of a junction at more than a snails pace.

My experience of engine remaps are not particularly great – not mine personally but people I know. Granted i’m talking performance cars probably pushed to the max. for glory rolling road runs in the pursuit of pub bragging rights. Seen my fair share of exploding turbo’s, con rods poking out of engine casings and other similarly expensive failures when people have just pushed things too far.

mikedabear
    Free Member

Yeah as others have said. The best way is to have a rolling road remap. Then the improvement is right across the rev range. This will improve fuel economy, smoothness in acceleration, Torque and top speed.

mikedabear
    Free Member

My experience of engine remaps are not particularly great – not mine personally but people I know. Granted i’m talking performance cars probably pushed to the max. for glory rolling road runs in the pursuit of pub bragging rights. Seen my fair share of exploding turbo’s, con rods poking out of engine casings and other similarly expensive failures when people have just pushed things too far.

You can have an economy remap. Still a massive improvement.

IHN

I’ve got the standard 104hp 1.9in my T5 camper. It’s perfectly fine cruising along motorways at 80 and climbing alpine and Scottish mountain passes. I wouldn’t bother.

Neb

I think the 5 speed gearbox is rated to 380lb/ft torque, so the remap doesn’t go over 360lb/ft.

Drives nice, more efficient than when it was 84bhp and I can overtake now which is a bonus!

I do miss a 6th gear when on the motorway tho!

cnud
    Free Member

Had my T5 mapped from 130 to 169 it’s great fun however the stub and driveshafts are not really up to the job

whytesky
    Free Member

I drive T5 T30 with the 102 engine and 5 speed gearbox. It’s pretty much fully laden all the time.

It’s obviously not fast but there’s enough power to pull it along most of the time. The exception is long steep hills – it’ll start to slow down.

Word of warning – it’s just had a replacement gearbox. 3 years 3 months old and 82,000 miles. Always serviced according to schedule. 4th and 5th gear shredded themselves. Technician said it was the sixth one they’ve had in within the last month. They also had a new gearbox in stock. Not exactly reassuring!

pahoehoe
    Free Member

pendle performance have good reputation. i’m about to get my 102 done to 130-140bhp. those extra 30 hp are the difference on the a30 hills to and from cornwall.

mattbee

Penske upped my 1.9 to 136 (on TH Performance’s rolling road) & it was like a different van. So much easier to drive.

Pridds

Got my Octavia sorted by Shark based in Mansfield. Good company the cars been great since. They do remaps for transporters but depends which one you have

http://www.sharkperformance.co.uk/volkswagen/transporter/transporter-t5/1-9-tdi-105-bhp-6/remaps-4127/volkswagen-transporter-t5-105bhp-stage-1-remap

redstripe
    Free Member

I had my t5 remapped from 130 to 170bhp so not too excessive but it did make a big difference – obviously quicker, great for overtaking and up hills now but also smoother and more economical, the latter of which I can’t seem to get my head around. The chap who did it said it was because you don’t thrash it as much and the engine is working less hard, or something like that. If down near the south coast I can recommend them.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘VW t5 Transporter engine chipping’ is closed to new replies.