• This topic has 51 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Daffy.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • VW T5 campervan – going from 19″ wheels to standard … thoughts?
  • Aus
    Free Member

OK, so we made the plunge and got a fab T5 Transporter LWB van, HiLo poptop – loving it. The previous owner, a VW fanboi in the extreme(!) had put on some BBS 19″ alloys, running 245 40 19 front and 265 40 19 rears. Tyres are in v good nick, and rims immaculate. I’ve no complaints about noise/the ride comfort etc. but haven’t driven many vans.

We’re tending to camp most weeks in farmer’s pop-up sites, so plenty of ropey roads and firlds. Again, no complaints re the tyres. The van height is about 1.8m (it has a Fiamma roll out awning).

So it’s got a bit of a bad-boy look that I don’t necessarily love, but I do wonder if low profile/wider tyres = a little

– noisier?
    – harsher ride?
    – not so good on grass?
    – tyres much more expensive

So wondering if I should return the wheels to standard? Plenty on ebay at £200-300 and assume I can sell mine so no cost out.

Is it a straight replacement?

Pros and cons?

Many thanks

spooky_b329

I’d definitely go standard wheels higher profile tyres. You should get good money for the wheels and tyres, I sold 3 of my Iveco ones with tyres and they paid for 4 new alloys.

You could go for some mild all terrain tyres which also help make the road handling less crashy if you go to a higher profile and will help on muddy sites, just don’t go for silly mud tyres if you want to be able to stop safely in wet weather! Make sure you get C rated/Light Truck/8 ply commercial tyres.

From our campsite last week, the two vans before us only got a few metres in before being towed out backwards but we were fine 🙂

bsims
    Free Member

Some 16/17s will be better in every way except looking like you’ve nicked some wheels from a bigger vehicle. When you have matching front and rear widths it will handle corner properly again.

Also you don’t have to get very wheels – check the offset in the manual and get some you like the look of.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

1.8m high. Crikey

Aus
    Free Member

Oooops … 1.93m high. Fits under barriers comfortably at the moment

Mister-P
    Free Member

I did this. Went from 19″ to VW Thunder alloys in 17″. Bought on Ebay with new tyres for about £250. I much prefer the ride and the van looks a bit more grown up and less scene whore. I’d recommend it.

surfer
    Free Member

I took the originals off my T6 and put 20 inch ones on. They look good and the ride is no worse than the original ones with narrow tyres but the economy is noticeably worse. Not sure I would go this big again. Are the originals alloy ones just smaller? Mine was a commercial van so just the stock steel ones which look really rubbish.

Van

trail_rat
    Free Member

The only thing worse than massive wheels is massive wheels with an arch gap you could smuggle people in.

So either air bag it.

Or fit wheels that suit the vehicle

surfer
    Free Member

I suppose “suit the vehicle” is a bit subjective really @trail_rat

trail_rat
    Free Member

Well big wheels on stock vehicle regardless of model often looks like they skipped leg day.

surfer
    Free Member

Opinions are like arseholes

phil5556

I’d either put 17” Thunder (or whatever the new version is, might be Davenports) or 18” Sportlines.

I bet the 17s are reasonably cheap as people will be taking them off and putting 19” things on.

And then fit some Michelin Cross Climates or similar.

But if you like what you have and it drives fine then keep them.

Is it a straight replacement?

Yes. All T5/T6s are the same stud pattern so anything from any year of van or made for the van should fit. You might need different bolts.

hot_fiat

Our two Caravelles have had numerous rim/tyre sizes. The first had 20” stilautos it looked beautiful, but rode like a BMW m-sport special (as if someone had replaced the springs with rocks). The cheap ditchfinders it came with were replaced by pretty expensive Goodyear winters in 275/40z20s. Ride immediately improved, as did noise.

After the blue orthogonal turd had set itself on fire for the second time and lunched its head gasket, we replaced it with a brand new standard velle. This came with 255/45z18 Pirelli ditchfinders. These were both noisier and crashier then the big Goodyears. Thankfully (I think), they wore out in 7000 miles and were replaced with the same sized Michelin pilot sport 4s. Again, going up in quality of tyre made the ride better and quieter.

For winter duties we’ve some 17” alloys that take 235/55 17 Goodyear ultragrips. These are noticeably quieter and better riding than the 18s.

It also depends on what chassis your camper is built on. The velles are generally a t30 while many campers will be on a t32. The shock, spring and bush performance is very different.

Aus
    Free Member

Well here it is – my motivation to possibly change is partly to remove the bad-boy look (if there is one?!), and the potential benefit of handling/noise/expense … but so far I’m not unhappy with the performance aspects (altho haven’t a comparison to benchmark against)

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2mirJGC]IMG_20210803_153457655[/url] by aus23, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2mirJFv]IMG_20210816_175443737[/url] by aus23, on Flickr

jimw
    Free Member

I would go for standard wheels with the highest profile available, so would that be 17’s?. It might be worth checking to see which tyre size is the most economical, if 18’s are more common for the dimensions and load rating they may well be cheaper, slightly odd sizes are expensive. For example my partner’s Polo has an uncommon 16” profile and load rating which means her tyres are about £20 more expensive for the same type and make of tyre than my Golf which has a very common 18” profile.
    Oh, and black wheels look naff, IMHO of course

john_l
    Free Member

Banded steels would be a nice alternative.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Red van looks to have been lowered ?

Certainly managing to pull those wheels off without massive wheel well gaps.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Opinions are like arseholes

You say that, but I’ve yet to see an opinion driving around in a van with stupid alloys 😉

wobbliscott
    Free Member

When I got my van it came with 21″ wheels with some silly profile and something like 265 wide or something daft. Ride quality was awful. In quick order I replaced with 18″ wheels – the ones that are the standard 18″ wheel and tyre size for T5’s and the ride was greatly improved. Also upgrade the suspension too, a little lower – something like 20mm, with Eibach springs and Bilstein dampers. think the kit was £400 or something. But he combo of those two things transformed its driving into a much more pleasant experience.

phil5556

Red van looks to have been lowered ?

Certainly managing to pull those wheels off without massive wheel well gaps.

Yeah looks alright as it is, that’s not what I expected it to look like from the description 🙂

Sportline or Black Devonports on that if you really want to change them.

(I don’t think black wheels look naff 🙂)

revs1972
    Free Member

Keep them as is, it draws the eye away from that sun visor 😉😁

halifaxpete

Done similar on my Caddy, gone from 9″ wide 18’s down to 16″ steels (banded out though). The extra sidewall improves the ride no end.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

You say that, but I’ve yet to see an opinion driving around in a van with stupid alloys

🤣

timbog160

@Aus good looking van.

Interested to hear that different tyres can improve ride quality – my T6 came with 20” wheels which are pretty painful on the 3rd world roads of Kirklees, especially when combined with very low suspension. Have raised the ride height a bit and that’s deffo helped, but may try a tyre change before a wheel change…

Interestingly I’ve also put H&R roll bars on and that’s helped too…

bigblackshed

TBH that looks OK. And I don’t particularly like black wheels. But that has been lowered by quite a bit, I’d hazard a guess at something like 80mm. Putting standard wheels back on might make it look very odd.

If it was mine it would either be have the wheels refinished in a dark gloss grey or fit banded steel rims with a colour scheme that works with the body colour. The addition of centre caps on the banded steels will also break up the big black blob of wheel and tyre that you have now.

Whatever you do will not take away from the fact it’s a scene van. Either embrace it or buy a Renault Traffic.

Aus
    Free Member

Thanks all, v helpful.

Sounds like going back to std might be a good move, but also appreciate the ‘looks OK’ for some (I was feeling a bit blingy in it!).

Checking out how much lowering has gone on.

(And sun screen has been removed altho the mounting plate that is fixed to the van is none to0 pretty, so may go back!).

Bottom line is, me, Mrs A and esp the dogs are loving the actual camper-vanning activity, and the layout of the van is brilliant for us plus the pups, and the ride/tyres haven’t proved a problem yet …

Aus
    Free Member

@bigblackshed, lowered 70mm. Will that cause issues with standard e.g. 17″ wheels?

alpin
    Free Member

Stick a cheap, rusty set of these on it…. Some Hammerite if you’re feeling flush.

Ran mine year round with Michelin all season tyres. Better ride than the “summer” alloys.

Atomizer

I went from 20″ to 17″ VW original wheels – so much better ride quality on rough roads, especially noticeable with people in the back.
    Also the speedo reads right now!
    Not bothered about the loss of bling.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I really like those steels, especially banded, but they don’t suit every van. They would look awful on my stock height Sportline styled silver wagon.

bigblackshed

@Aus

The lowering on standard wheels shouldn’t be a problem, as long as the standard wheels and tyres are the same diameter as the after market wheels and tyres you have now.

It might just look a bit odd. As standard the gap between the tyre and the wheelarch is fairly even, when big wheels and low profile tyres are put on at standard ride height the proportions can look odd. They always look better when they are lowered a bit on big wheels, don’t know why.

Have a look on eBay or Autotrader at numpties attempts at “scene vans”. Generally poorly converted plasters vans with a bit of carpet glued to the walls, a fly tipped sofa bed, and some cheap nasty alloys thrown on.

You might end up doing more work than changing wheels to make it look right. If of course you’re bothered about that. A work colleague has steadily converted his van into a very, very tidy camper. All done properly, all quality kit. The last things done were lowering it and putting black steel rims on. The van is all black, with black wheels. It looks like it’s got 4 spare wheels on it. I really don’t like the look of it, but he does. He doesn’t have to look at it when he’s driving it.

johnhighfield
    Free Member

I’ve got 19” Range Rover Alloys on my T5, that were on it when I bought it, and 255×50 R19 types & it’s a very comfortable ride. It’s lowered 40mm on H&R springs & the wheels fill the arches nicely. The fronts do rub a little on full-lock but that has never been an issue. I could put some spacers on but haven’t really felt the need.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

I’ve got 19” Range Rover Alloys on my T5, that were on it when I bought it, and 255×50 R19 types & it’s a very comfortable ride

Reading these posts is making me feel quite anxious!!

Fitting incorrect wheels to vehicles is deadly, Range Rover wheels are made for range rovers not T5 vans !!

Is anyone aware of the offsets and backspace ??

Let alone your insurance company telling you to do one if you have any type of accident.

Stick with what’s made for the vehicle and make sure you have the correct offset.

Safety before bling !!!

Aus
    Free Member

Again, thanks all, much appreciated. Reckon I’ll look for a set of VW 16’s or 17’s secondhand, ideally with good tyres and have a go …

trail_rat
    Free Member

Fitting incorrect wheels to vehicles is deadly, Range Rover wheels are made for range rovers not T5 vans !!

Could also be perfectly safe depending on what the wheels are actually off…..what they are fitted to and how they are fitted.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I’d probably go for the 17’s and get them banded. I think your van with that much drop is going to look weird with stock wheels (even more so with 16’s).

Almost like you’ve run out of money mid conversion and can’t afford the big boy alloys, but everything else is done.

Either that or put some stock springs back on it too to bring the ride height up normal.

NZCol

On all the VW vans I had eventually settled in std 17” wheels with the factory -30mm springs and updated roll bars. This was on the California so the multivan chassis abs setup. The Transporter is different but never got on with big wheels and rubber band tyres.

P20

It should improve the ride because of the taller tyre sidewall. I bought some VW Clayton 16” with used tyres from Leighton vans on ebay for £220ish. 17” are a bit more. I bought them for the winter wheels. Both summer and winter  are 16”

jimw
    Free Member

Let alone your insurance company telling you to do one if you have any type of accident.

This is a valid point. When I bought some wheels to put winter tyres on, the insurance company were very interested in whether they were genuine VW alloys with the correct dimensions or not. They are and so was no problem and indeed there was no premium change.I would guess as long as they were aware of the type and agreed to cover the fitment you would be in the clear, but not informing the company leaves you open to potential problems

phil5556

VW 16’s or

Be aware that if yours is a T32 the 16s won’t fit over the brakes I don’t think.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘VW T5 campervan – going from 19″ wheels to standard … thoughts?’ is closed to new replies.