Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • VW emissions scandal: time to buy?
  • teddy
    Free Member

Read in the paper about the increased (nonsensical) depreciation of the vw diesels.
    Just wondering if now would be a good time to buy before they return to normal prices or are there more revelations to come

brooess
    Free Member

Well they had their credit rating downgraded which will make it less profitable/harder for them to give credit to their customers to buy their cars… they might try to increase prices to cover the extra cost

breadcrumb

I’d be tempted to buy some VW shares, they’re bound to get as low as they’ll ever be soon.

Stoner
    Free Member

I made enough to cover the cost of a new bike backing BP after the deep horizon bottom.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Short other makers – a problem unique to VW, really?

Not sure about buying VW quite yet as there is probably much more to come out, but might be a sensible time to buy the cars. Still bloody good cars….???

rickmeister

Agreed, we all know that no one really gets Oem mpg so no surprises really….

The are in the main, good cars across the vag group.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Hmmm, just looked up the chart €97, could be a cheeky punt in the offing….

colp

Probably totally unrelated but the price of a fully loaded T6 4motion kombi bought through HappyNewVan shot up by about 4K this week.

bearnecessities

I’d thought similar about some novice share purchasing, but don’t know enough about processes and guessed I’d get pleasured with enough fees to make it not worth the risk.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Plenty of people lost a hell of a lot of money buying bank shares in early 2008 on the basis they’d bounce back. VW could go a hell of a lot lower, it’s still very unclear what the level of fines could be in the US.

OP to be honest I’ve not followed the level of VW diesel depreciation so far but there are many who won’t buy again. Also I would imagine legally if you buy now you’ll get no payout in any compensation deal as you are buying in the knowledge that the tests were cheated.

@tmh VW bottomed at €30 in 2008 so why is the company a buy a treble that value today ? A buy for the bery brave at best I’d say.

juanking

During times of adversity its always worth monitoring share prices. Stoner, big gamble that one, things got very very close.

Stoner
    Free Member

aye, 50% return was a fair gamble price.

bearnecessities

Yeah, but the banks will bounce back..eventually. As will VW. I’m no market analyst, but in a few years I’d bet (with shares!) it’ll all be forgotten.

It’s just whether there’s another short term dip to go yet, to be benefited from 🙂

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Good tip Jambas, only a passing thought – but banks were great after the crash and some lovely yields around still too!

Almost 2x.money in UBS but forgot to sell 🙁 Still a 4% divi now

jambalaya
    Free Member

Thm, your post made me check the history 🙂 I got whipsawed all over the place in the banks, re-taught me a lesson about how distracting pa positions are to the day job. The bear case for VW is quite strong, Unknown downside (punitive fines, fix vehicles, compensation claims), falling credit rating impacting their ability to finance new car purchases, permanent damage to the brand, permanent shift away from diesel (all those €’s invested in research past and present, ability to refocus production to petrol). Diesel engines where seen as a big company strength, not so now.?????

zomg

There are probably worse bets around: the German taxpayer’s going to bail them out even after diesel is taxed to oblivion and back.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@zomg indeed a possibility but at what price, €10 a share ? The Germans where also highly critical of the rescue/recapitalisation of Peugeot the French government arranged with the Chinese, very messy.

trail_rat
    Free Member

It was never time to buy a vw ….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The only big potential issue was highlighted in the states around compulsory fixes, if they have to make the car legal what happens to the performance and economy? Not sure on the UK legal position but it could make a good car with faked emissions a dud.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘VW emissions scandal: time to buy?’ is closed to new replies.