• This topic has 209 replies, 45 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by mt.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 210 total)
  • Vuelta, possible spoiler.
  • tinsy
    Free Member

I don’t ride on the road, I have watched the Tour for maybe 4-5 years & get very excited about it, but have not really watched or taken and interest in other road races, but what with Froome looking for a win I have been watching the Vuelta, & what a race it is.

Contador & Rodriguez are really duelling it out, how they get up each day & race like that is unbeleivable.

Froome still holding a 4th spot but that Valverde is really going for it, he can run with Contador & Rodriguez but just cant quite match the ups in tempo.

Its a thrilling battle.

If your not watching it you should be.

Sawyer
    Free Member

I’ve been enjoying it, good racing.

Yesterdays finish was ridiculous. 24% in places.

Junkyard
    Free Member

thiose boys at the front are strong as oxes

Awesome riding

The winner took 6 mins for the last km yesterday iirc 😯

RealMan
    Free Member

I haven’t caught every stage, and every stage I miss I regret. There’s been some fantastic battles going on.

franki
    Free Member

It’s been a real battle this year. Some great attacking riding.
    The last climb yesterday was pure evil! I’ve never seen pro riders so low geared and going so slowly. An absolute killer!!! 😈

tinsy
    Free Member

At one point I thought that Italian guy Dario that won it was going to get off and give up, he was only 500m from the line at the time!

mt
    Free Member

“Contador & Rodriguez are really duelling it out, how they get up each day & race like that is unbeleivable.”

If it looks unbelievable then it usually is. There are two known and unrepentant dopers in the race, the race is in Spain where the Prime Minister supports dopers and the cycling governing body is not to interested unless forced into testing. Need anymore info to cast dought on the performance? Sorry to be negative.

captain-slow
    Free Member

mtyes contador and valverde have served drugs bans and I would rather they were never allowed to race again, but rodriguez has never been implicated in drugs issues to my knowledge and has been a consistent top ten grand tour finisher for a few years now. hoping he wins and is never implicated in drugs scandals…

p.s.have to feel for froomedog – broken man after the year he has had

brakes
    Free Member

to complete the loop on your conspiracy mt, you should mention that the course has been laid out to favour the Spanish riders.

I still have a distant and diminishing hope that Froome has something in him… but I’d like to see Purito win – he’s a class act.

Lifer
    Free Member

I’m all for Purito, loving the way he lets Bertie mess about then just cruises alongside in that nonchalent “Still here, what’s next?” kind of way.

Feel sorry for Froome, great performance in the Tour has led to unreasonable expectations in the Vuelta.

tinsy
    Free Member

That TT route was something else, it certainly didn’t favour the usual TT experts, but you couldn’t say it was suited to anyone except the brave & the good in equal measure, not any particular nationality.

I too would like to see Froome make a bit of a comeback into the race, but it will be against all odds now.

mt
    Free Member

Froome had no chance from the start, he’s not Spanish for a start. Also he is not from a country that has a complient governing body.
    Should he have had the cheek to be in the lead all the Spanish riders would have worked against him.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m all for Purito, loving the way he lets Bertie mess about then just cruises alongside in that nonchalent “Still here, what’s next?” kind of way.

Exactly.

Contador looking increasingly worried in each evening’s interview.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

It’s good but I’m not a massive fan of the time bonus system.

alex222
    Free Member

unrepentant dopers

We like dopers who say sorry whilst baking out of a room and bowing just like whats his name again? Oh yeah Millar. He soooo sowwy; pweeeeez let him wide again he say sowwy lots and lots and he be nice now he pwomise.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

It was an awesomely ‘unbelievable’ spectacle watching Conta-epo-dor and that other bloke duelling up the mountain the other day. Looked like fun – they were doing an interval sprint session up a massive mountain climb and then casually exchanging comments sitting in the saddle in between reps. Great TV, but not entirely human. 😐

Same old, same old… 🙄

Lifer
    Free Member

alex222 – Member

“unrepentant dopers”

We like dopers who say sorry whilst baking out of a room and bowing just like whats his name again? Oh yeah Millar. He soooo sowwy; pweeeeez let him wide again he say sowwy lots and lots and he be nice now he pwomise.

Alternatively, it’s easier to accept people returning after a ban if they’re open about what they have done and are willing to work with the authorities to try and stop it happening again.

tracknicko
    Free Member

Alternatively, it’s easier to accept people returning after a ban if they’re open about what they have done and are willing to work with the authorities to try and stop it happening again.

indeed. so presumably having banged on about the ‘Omerta’ and so on for months and months now, Millar is taking a lead role in commenting on Lance, and the remaining overseers of that period (your Riis’s Bruneels and so on) and indeed our recent loss of Mr Schleck…

Isn’t he?

oh no hang on, he now has his gob firmly shut, as he has a ride for the time being, and could do without rocking the boat.

i’m sorry but i really don’t buy the repentant bit. repentance is stopping what you are doing, putting your hands up, and trying to live a better life.

not getting busted for doping, only at that point stopping doping, and writing a book about what a rotter you’ve been, only to slip (relatively) quietly back into the pro (and apparently doped up to the hilt) peleton…

FuzzyWuzzy

Yeah it’s been a great Vuelta so far this year. In a way it’s good to see Froome cracking as should allay some of the doping suspicion (mostly coming out of France & Spain). Would be nice to see Sky in a position to drive things on in the mountains to though as although it’s exciting the Saxo Bank high tempo followed by Contador attacking and Purito responding and Valverde staying in touch was getting a little repetitive. It’s also good to see Contador’s attacks not being so ridiculously strong & sustained (even if he’d say that’s due to lack of race conditioning rather than lack of drugs).
    Only really one big test left now and unless Purito gets sick I can’t see him cracking now, still tense enough to make it worth watching though.

TiRed

It’s good but I’m not a massive fan of the time bonus system.

I’ve enjoyed the racing, and the last uphill finish was great. But I have to agree that the time bonus does not for a good outcome make. Surely the fastest man should win overall? See last year’s result. They’ve reduced them this year, possibly again next?

On an unrelated note: The Tour of Britain will be climbing some nice steep sections across Dartmoor. 20-25% out of Dartmeet 😈

Lifer
    Free Member

tracknicko – Member
    so presumably having banged on about the ‘Omerta’ and so on for months and months now, Millar is taking a lead role in commenting on Lance

Commenting on the FDA investigation last year:

“I can’t say definitively if Lance doped or not,” he added. “Yes, there are all the stories and rumours but I certainly never saw him dope with my own eyes.

“If he did dope, after all he has said and done, it would be unforgivable. His performances on the Tour were extraordinary but he is unlike anybody you will ever meet. He is a force of nature.

“But I have always thought that he could have done more against doping. He was in a position to make a difference and to help his sport but I never saw any evidence of that.”

What more can he add to that now? Unless he’s been in a priviledged position and has seen the evidence against LA?

ormondroyd
    Free Member

Millar is taking a lead role in commenting on Lance, and the remaining overseers of that period (your Riis’s Bruneels and so on) and indeed our recent loss of Mr Schleck…

Isn’t he?

oh no hang on, he now has his gob firmly shut, as he has a ride for the time being, and could do without rocking the boat.

Not entirely correct

He’s stated…

And I do have an opinion on Lance that I’ll talk/write about it in the near future, like everybody I’m trying to digest it fully.
    It’s so big that I can’t simply respond immediately, especially on Twitter, I need a lot more than 140 characters.

He’s also criticised Liggett for his interview. “For me he is not the “Voice of Cycling”.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

i’m sorry but i really don’t buy the repentant bit. repentance is stopping what you are doing, putting your hands up, and trying to live a better life

Which is exactly what he did. Admitted it, gave evidence to the French police, did his suspension and came back starting a team with an explicit anti-doping policy. Jeez what more could he have done? Given up cycling? Would that have made you happy?

Millar’s behaviour has been completely different to other drugs cheats like Vinokourov, Valverde and steak-boy who refuse to admit anything, refuse to discuss it and presumably continue to dope once they return from suspension if they think they can get away with it.

tracknicko
    Free Member

Well the story seems to be more about systematic abuse of the rider/governing body relationship. I.e. the position of the UCI and possible buyouts from doped teams etc… plus the remaining DS’ in the squads these days…

in terms of the ‘with my own eyes’ bit… given what Hamilton is about to publish (today) it would seem quite odd if people in the pro peleton didn’t know more.

ergo i expect he (and others) do know more, but is keeping (relatively) quiet.

i just think that for an apparently massive force in the anti doping side of things, and such a repentant soul, using lines such as:

I certainly never saw him dope with my own eyes,

and…

His performances on the Tour were extraordinary but he is unlike anybody you will ever meet. He is a force of nature.

seem a bit of a cop out.

tracknicko
    Free Member

look i’m sorry but all this reads like:

‘poor english lad forced into doping by horrible team pressures, comes back, clean as a whistle and fights again’

and

‘dirty foreigners doped up to the eyeballs, back in the peleton and no doubt doping again’

tracknicko
    Free Member

He’s stated…

And I do have an opinion on Lance that I’ll talk/write about it in the near future, like everybody I’m trying to digest it fully.
    It’s so big that I can’t simply respond immediately, especially on Twitter, I need a lot more than 140 characters.

that’s basically ‘no comment’ in my book.

He’s also criticised Liggett for his interview. “For me he is not the “Voice of Cycling”.

not sure that’s much of a statement.

Which is exactly what he did. Admitted it, gave evidence to the French police, did his suspension and came back starting a team with an explicit anti-doping policy. Jeez what more could he have done? Given up cycling? Would that have made you happy?

pretty sure he got busted? rather than wandering in to the police station all hands up…

also not sure he started an anti doping team? he first came back to a (dirty cheating – probably) spanish team.

then joined slipstream with J Vaughters, the ex doper from the Lance era…

cynic-al
    Free Member

It’s exciting for sure but a bit of a one trick “finish up the steepest hill we can find” pony – I’d prefer a bit more balance.

no_eyed_deer – Member

It was an awesomely ‘unbelievable’ spectacle watching Conta-epo-dor and that other bloke duelling up the mountain the other day. Looked like fun – they were doing an interval sprint session up a massive mountain climb and then casually exchanging comments sitting in the saddle in between reps. Great TV, but not entirely human.

Same old, same old…

Same old same old…whining about former dopers?

Any athlete in front must be on drugs?

🙄

Lifer
    Free Member

tracknicko – Member
    i just think that for an apparently massive force in the anti doping side of things, and such a repentant soul, using lines such as:

I certainly never saw him dope with my own eyes,

and…

His performances on the Tour were extraordinary but he is unlike anybody you will ever meet. He is a force of nature.

seem a bit of a cop out.

Clutching at straws a bit aren’t you?

So are you saying he’s lying? And you left off a few bits in those quotes:

If he did dope, after all he has said and done, it would be unforgivable. His performances on the Tour were extraordinary but he is unlike anybody you will ever meet. He is a force of nature.”

“But I have always thought that he could have done more against doping. He was in a position to make a difference and to help his sport but I never saw any evidence of that.”

tracknicko
    Free Member

yeh but he’s winning AND foreign. DEFINITELY on drugs.

tracknicko
    Free Member

Clutching at straws a bit aren’t you?

So are you saying he’s lying? And you left off a few bits in those quotes:

“If he did dope, after all he has said and done, it would be unforgivable. His performances on the Tour were extraordinary but he is unlike anybody you will ever meet. He is a force of nature.”

i don’t understand your point? how am i clutching at straws?

i left out those bits and to be frank they’re even more wooly than the bits i did quote…

im not saying he’s lying. im saying if he is vehemently anti doping and working hard to eradicate it in all its forms, saying those things above isn’t really enough… is it?

alex222
    Free Member

He’s stated…

And I do have an opinion on Lance that I’ll talk/write about it in the near future, like everybody I’m trying to digest it fully compile enough material to write another book so that my retirement is that bit more comfortable.

By the way I don’t think he shouldn’t write a book. Every one wants money to retire. I just wish people would stop looking through rose tinted glasses at why he is writing books and returning to cycling. He is not trying to set things straight he is feathering his on nest.

Which is exactly what he did. Admitted it, gave evidence to the French police, did his suspension and came back starting a team with an explicit anti-doping policy

So they say they explicitly don’t dope. I am trying to think of some other teams that ‘explicitly didn’t dope’ in the past. I just can’t think of them off the top of my head it is difficult to remember the names of one team in particular and indeed one rider in particular that explicitly didn’t dope.

Back on track the Vuelta is possibly the most disgustingly awesome road race ever. Hearts exploding from chests kind of awesome.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

pretty sure he got busted? rather than wandering in to the police station all hands up…

also not sure he started an anti doping team? he first came back to a (dirty cheating – probably) spanish team.

then joined slipstream with J Vaughters, the ex doper from the Lance era

Sure he was arrested then complied fully- complied so fully that the French judge in the case against the Cofidis dopers questioned why Millar should even be in court given the amount of co-operation he’d given.

Yes he came back briefly with Saunier Duval and yes he had suspicions some of their riders were doping, however it was the only team that would have him.

He was a key part in building the Garmin team and has a stake in it. I think their approach in being prepared to work with ex-dopers is probably a bit more realistic than say Sky’s position and gives riders who’s doped some hope of rehabilitaiton if they want to take it.

tinsy
    Free Member

Back on track the Vuelta is possibly the most disgustingly awesome road race ever. Hearts exploding from chests kind of awesome.

This one or are they all like this?

I might just be a roadie at heart. 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

Millar’s behaviour has been completely different to other drugs cheats like Vinokourov, Valverde and steak-boy who refuse to admit anything, refuse to discuss it and presumably continue to dope once they return from suspension if they think they can get away with it.

THIS

‘poor english lad forced into doping by horrible team pressures, comes back, clean as a whistle and fights again’

He has changed nationality now has he? English and British are not interchangeable terms but your attention to detail is as good as your analysis

i left out those bits and to be frank they’re even more wooly than the bits i did quote…

😕

But I have always thought that he could have done more against doping. He was in a position to make a difference and to help his sport but I never saw any evidence of that.”

Seems pretty clear he thinks LA could and should have done more…how exactly could he make it more explicit for you ? CAPS LOCKING THE QUOTE?

alex222
    Free Member

complied so fully that the French judge in the case against the Cofidis dopers questioned why Millar should even be in court given the amount of co-operation he’d given.

So he grassed every one up to reduce his own punishment. Kudos indeed. What a brave brave hero of the sport.

tracknicko
    Free Member

Ok i’m obviously not getting anywhere here.

English and British are not interchangeable terms but your attention to detail is as good as your analysis

slow hand clap for that one. thanks. a slip of the tongue if you will, and now my analysis is worthless? brilliant.

and again.

I have always thought that he could have done more against doping.

is NOT a strong anti-doping outburst, or any specific comment on the recent Lance developments, the DS’s still in the sport, the silence of every other current pro, or anything else… which is what i was originally referring to.

tinsy
    Free Member

Would you like to start a thread about drugs in cycling or just bore me to death with your own personal opinions on it here?

tracknicko
    Free Member

apologies for having an opinion on a discussion forum.

in the event of you actually starting to die, you could always stop reading.

tinsy
    Free Member

Or you could have that discussion on a thread relating to it?

Personally I am all for drugs, my personal favourite was ecstasy but I am fairly certain it did not help my performance, albeit perhaps it did enhance my desire to dance a lot and cop off with weird women.

alex222
    Free Member

Tinsy in fairness it was MT who came along and wailed on the Vuelta calling Rodriguez, Valverde and Contador Doping cheats and saying it is a crap race because the Spaniards do nothing about dopers. So really you have him to thank for hijacking your thread. It is a big subject at the moment and subsequently I and others have had to put their ores in as it is such a polarising subject. Sorry.

Personally I am all for drugs, my personal favourite was ecstasy but I am fairly certain it did not help my performance, albeit perhaps it did enhance my desire to dance a lot and cop off with weird women.

I agree.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 210 total)

The topic ‘Vuelta, possible spoiler.’ is closed to new replies.