• This topic has 209 replies, 45 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by mt.
Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 210 total)
  • Vuelta, possible spoiler.
  • MrOvershoot

higgo – Member

Was that the day I was stood on the Col du Ranfolly and watched Landis’ magnificent ride into Morzine?

Ahh was that Mr Sweaty 😉

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

This stage 17 sort of reminded me of stage 17 in the 2006 TDF

Was that the day I was stood on the Col du Ranfolly and watched Landis’ magnificent ride into Morzine?

Was that the day we rode chatel bike park, then raced down the emnpty road from avoriaz watching the tour coming up the valley, managed to get on the finish line, Munqe Chick stood on the pillion seat of a press bike, and watched Landis’ magnificent ride into Morzine? 😀 8)

rOcKeTdOg

A champion salutes Dirty Bertie’s methods
    [Img]http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/001/171/901/OB-IO190_02land_G_20100520005635_display_image.jpg?1312895853[/img]

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

I watched yesterday partly in amazement but with a very large part of me thinking “just after a rest day” 🙁
    I think the lifetime ban for a 2nd offence makes a lot of sense.

alex222
    Free Member

You know if it bothers to the point where you can’t enjoy watching it because you think that they might be doping you could always try not watching it and not commenting on it?

Junkyard
    Free Member

or the cyclists could try not cheating and not doping due to public pressure /fans reaction.

or a known clean rider [ Wigo or cuddles] could win and we would all be happy

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

You are not wrong alex222, I shall not bother with the rest of it. Shame really

I may still comment though ;-), although most of these posts that turn into are they, aren’t they tend to end up going in the same circles so I try to stick to only 1 or 2 comments per thread.

One day perhaps we will know, perhaps drug testing will catch up with the dopers (although I doubt it, the money is in the wrong hands) & retrospective testing will make all clear.

Until then
    Millar, seems to be doing the best he can without making too many enemies, enjoyed his book
    Armstrong, used to be a fan about 10 years ago. His book made him easy to admire although difficult to like. Looks like he has got his comeuppance not worth stripping him of his titles though, who would you give them to? Just put an asterisk next to the results and say dirty race.
    Walsh/Kimmage, glad they have been proved right
    Contador got off easy with his backdated suspension wish I could believe in him as he has a great style but after yesterday I cant
    Vino – god help us all
    etc etc

mt
    Free Member

alex222 – Member
    You know if it bothers to the point where you can’t enjoy watching it because you think that they might be doping you could always try not watching it and not commenting on it?

It does bother me but I am enjoying it. Great racing in the same way that the Idurain, Pantani, Armstrong races were often great. Now though I know more and what to suspect. Shame to read others defending the cheating though. What’s worse it that pretty much a whole countries cycle fans are prepared to allow cheating as a normal activity. I suspect all Spanish sports people are cheating given the way things happen there, footy, tennis the lot.

bikebouy
    Free Member

“Yeah but, yeah but.. like yeah but..”

Whose that girl off that show, sits on a skool desk and swings her feet..

Well those that rattle on about drugs n stuff sound like this..

Yesterday was an exceptional piece of riding by Bertie and Valverde, they were tactically adept, driven and masterful riders on a mission.
    The fact that they had helpers from other teams underpins the respect they have from other riders and that can not be denied. The shere joy on Berties face as he crossed the line was one of THE moments in cycling. The interview post win with him showed how knackered he really was/is and his emotion showed through.

I rate them all, I admire them all.

Now, whine away in your own little whiney worlds “yeah but.. no but.. yeah but..

Then ride 50ks of that stage yourself… You know, just to put your skills into perspective, Like.

Lifer
    Free Member

bikebouy – Member
    “Yeah but, yeah but.. like yeah but..”

Whose that girl off that show, sits on a skool desk and swings her feet..

Well those that rattle on about drugs n stuff sound like this..

How so?

tinsy
    Free Member

I am with bikebouy…

Junkyard
    Free Member

You know, just to put your skills into perspective, Like

why ? is anyone doubting that those professional athletes are better than us…seems a rather pointless point to make and it has no bearing on anything.

If it helps Bolt can run faster than me but if he gets convicted of drugs [ I doubt he will tbh] I can surely comment on his past and future performances particularily if he still denies it.

It will alwayts be viwed as suspicious because he has cheated

alex222
    Free Member

How so?

“Yeah I enjoy cyclng but I can’t help but comment on the fact that something that has gone on forever and will continue to go on is erm going on, yeah I know Lance said he wasn’t doping so much that I believed him at the time but now because of the doubt in my mind I have to wail on him regardless of how much I admired him five years ago.. like Millar yeah he says he is clean now but I believe him because he has writen a book and everything..”

Like that really.

Back on track Contador; flipping animal. An attack that devastated the GC and turned the entire race on its head with 4 more stages to go. Just incredible.

tinsy
    Free Member

What the ticker told me during the race was how much help he was getting from his pal, what the TV showed me was he was just brilliant, it was also a tactical masterclass.

Solo
    Free Member

I’m gonna try some of those ^^ Live coverage links later.

alex222
    Free Member

steephill.tv is where it’s at. Watch the in Flemish.

tinsy
    Free Member

Lucky buggers, I just cant get any of the TV things to work here… The tour was OK I just paid for eurosport, Vuelta coverage isnt quite as good.

Solo
    A bit later on this site will have about 6 different live streaming links to try. The eurosport ticker is about the best, at least it seems betteer than the official Vuelta site.
    http://www.cyclingfans.com/node/6513

Solo
    Free Member

Cheers.

mogrim

…What’s worse it that pretty much a whole countries cycle fans are prepared to allow cheating as a normal activity. I suspect all Spanish sports people are cheating given the way things happen there, footy, tennis the lot.

Except they’re not, and your posts are basically racism – you’re generalising a whole country’s behaviour, and it’s both ill-informed and unpleasant to read.

Junkyard
    Free Member

you canot compare millar to contador or LA
    he admited he cheated, was repentant, fessed up and helped the authorities. Thye have never admitted they did anythign wrong.
    If two poeole do a wrong and one shrugs their shoulders and denies it and the other owns up, says they are sorry, and does all the right thing it would be daft to treat them both the same.
    It also makes it much less likely that the later will offend again as they have “reformed”.
    It is not a guarantee granted [ nothing is – wiggo could cheat but I cannot see it happening] but I fail to see how you cannot see the difference between them tbh.

bikebouy
    Free Member

You’ll not provoke me into whining about drugs nor backing up any of your whiney points you are desperatly trying to make.
    You live in your whiney sceptical drugs world all you like.

You’ll need more will and determination to provoke me into your wheeeny arguments which diminish daily. I suggest you grab some of that will and determination Bertie and Valverde showed yesterday, then apply it to your riding.

True Grit was shown by all riders yesterday, that was not denied. Ask anyone in the peloton today about yesterday and I will be astonished to hear anyone of them say “yeah, it was ok, bit of a wheeze really”

I thought this years Vuelta was going to be too hard for them, I still do, all those mountain stages and mountain top finishes.. just going to kill them off. I see it as too hard. It’s proving some exceptional racing and bringing out some very savvy tactic..

Bring on the Poncheurs.

alex222
    Free Member

you canot compare millar to contador or LA

Yes you can

taxi25
    Free Member

alex222 +1 no make that +100.
    Another thread turned into the same people banging on about drugs. We all know about the problems , but if you can’t enjoy whats infront of you just walk away.

mogrim

Yes you can

No you can’t, one’s British and the others are dirty foreign types. Same as Saint Tommy Simpson, and that junkie Pantani.

alex222
    Free Member

No you can’t, one’s British and the others are dirty foreign types. Same as Saint Tommy Simpson, and that junkie Pantani.

Don’t forget he said sorry Jesus and then wrote a book

bikebouy
    Free Member

double post.. ooop’s

brakes
    Free Member

consummate professional

who tainted his entire past and future career and all his brilliant achievements by breaking the rules and cheating in an era of the sport where people are trying desperately to eradicate doping.
    give it a rest bikebouy, you’re deluded.

mt
    Free Member

mogrim – Member

I’m right regarding the Spanish authorities attitude to testing and convictions for doping. Their Prime Minister made clear that Contador would not be serving a ban when his positive was confirmed. The countries authorties over rode the police to shut down investigations into blood doping that implicated over 200 athletes including tennis player and footballers. Those that are found guilty doping are cheered in the streets. Is that racist? you seem to be an expert on that issue so it can be your call. You can’t get away from the fact that the Vuelta is being lead by two brilliant riders who are known cheats but you prefer those to see that than honesty.

I shall carry on enjoying the race but I’ll know that it’s just as dirty as ever in parts.

alex222
    Free Member

who’s honesty?

tracknicko
    Free Member

Vuelta is being lead by two brilliant riders who are known cheats but you prefer those to see that than honesty.

this is my fundamental point.

berty and valverde are ‘known cheats’

millar is a fully repentant lad doing his best, and no doubt cheered all the way to his TdF win.

didn’t hear all you lads giving it the big ‘i’m gonna turn my TV off, i just can’t believe what i’m watching’ on that day..

mogrim

I’m right regarding the Spanish authorities attitude to testing and convictions for doping. Their Prime Minister made clear that Contador would not be serving a ban when his positive was confirmed. The countries authorties over rode the police to shut down investigations into blood doping that implicated over 200 athletes including tennis player and footballers. Those that are found guilty doping are cheered in the streets. Is that racist? you seem to be an expert on that issue so it can be your call. You can’t get away from the fact that the Vuelta is being lead by two brilliant riders who are known cheats but you prefer those to see that than honesty.

Where to start? (And I’m not convinced it’s worthwhile, either…)

* The Prime Minister supported Contador, it’s true – but said nothing about no ban, rather that there was no case for civil authorities.

* The end of Operacion Puerto affected riders of other nationalities, not just Spanish. Again, there’s a big difference between civil and sporting authorities, and as much as the UCI or whatever might like to rule the roost, at the end of the day they have less authority than the local judges.

* Contador is indeed cheered. There were also signs, in Spanish, taking the piss out of him and his doping. Spanish fans aren’t some uniform mass, with just one opinion.

And yes, both Valverde and Contador have been suspended in the past for drug use. They have cheated in competition. There’s no evidence they are cheating this time round, and I think they’d be massively stupid to do so. I also think a lifetime ban for the first offence is overly harsh, for a second offence definitely. They’ve done their time, why shouldn’t I support them now?

brakes
    Free Member

They’ve done their time, why shouldn’t I support them now?

because it is human nature to have suspicions about people who have cheated in the past, especially when they are unrepentant.
    but you know this already.

alex222
    Free Member

especially when they are unrepentant.

If they say sorry there is absolutely no reason to question them any more. No sir. Not ever; especially the British ones who say sorry.

mt
    Free Member

Hello Mogrim,

Lets not get all arsey about it but just so you know. 🙂

The Spanish PM told the the cycling authorties and it was reported in the press and on tv that Contador was not getting a ban. They had announced he would be getting a year as the drug was injested by accident, thats when the PM stepped in with his comment.

I never mentioned the origins of the Puerto athletes, just what countries police conducted the raid. My view is that there was a lot more at stake than a few cyclists.

You are correct there is no evidence that Contador and Valverde are cheating at this time. So I’ll carry on watching enjoying the race but keep the cynical cap on just in case what seems unbelieveable turns out to be. : 🙁

Junkyard
    Free Member

Yes you can

Well you can compare chalk and cheese if you wish but it makes no sense for the reasons brakes and many others have mentioned.
    To suggest racism is the reason for this is unfounded and shows the strength of your argument

I dont support Millar due to nationality but due to his response.

If they say sorry there is absolutely no reason to question them any more. No sir. Not ever; especially the British ones who say sorry.

Straw man argument

mt
    Free Member

Alex222

The Honesty thing, from the convited dopers. They don’t have to go all Miller about it though.

Lifer
    Free Member

alex222 – Member
    “especially when they are unrepentant.”

So they don’t get tested/have a biological passport anymore?

brakes
    Free Member

I didn’t say that.

Solo
    Free Member

Couldn’t you start a new thread for the bickering and just chat about the race here ?. I think that was the OP’s intention.
    😕

brakes
    Free Member

we’re just filling time until today’s stage gets going…

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 210 total)

The topic ‘Vuelta, possible spoiler.’ is closed to new replies.