Viewing 7 posts - 81 through 87 (of 87 total)
  • Voodoo Wazoo upgrades
  • dahedd
    Free Member

Going to bounce this old thread back up to the top.

Has anyone taken their steel front forks off and replaced them with suspension? I’ve been torn between going for a Carbon front end or Suspension, the last few rides out using the Voodoo instead of my Stumpie have killed my back and shoulders, all singletrack steep and bumpy.

So i reckon it could be upgrade time after my birthday (though im very conscious of going mad on what was a £500 bike)

I’ve a few questions if you don’t mind folks.

1. would a carbon fork be easier on my arms, back?

2. How heavy is the stock steel fork ? The Renegade forks im tempted to get are 2.1kg so i assume it’ll make the bike even heavier but might ease the pain on the local stuff.

3. Tapered Steerer, so i`ll need a new headset ? Recommendations ?

4. Bolt through axle so i’ll need to chat my mate who is the local FBS mech to rebuilt my front wheel with new hub. Hope ? DT Swiss ?

Cheers in advance folks.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I’m getting the ~1.5Kg default fork replaced with a carbon On One (~650g including bung) this weekend all being well, now that the Hope Integral headset has arrived at LBS.

When LBS took the default headset apart, they said there was no identification on it to know what crown race they could safely install on the carbon fork and leave the existing one on the alloy fork.

They suggested removing default headset to keep with alloy fork and get a new headset including crown race to fit on carbon forks. I decided to go with the more expensive Hope, thinking they will will be trouble free for longer than something like an FSA.

So all being well, I can remove the RDS to FDS convertor off the 29er wheels soon and get the On One RDS fat wheel ready for action. 8)

The “chewy” carbon Knucleball bars make a big difference over rough ground, I suspect carbon forks will further enhance that.

dahedd
    Free Member

The first thing I changed was the handle bars on your recommendation and its certainly improved the handling, so much so I fancy getting a set for the old full sus my wife rides.

My local Fat bike enthusiast is telling me not to go with suspension but I’m finding it hard going on some of the stuff I normally ride on my Stumpie. The Planet X forks are certainly the cheapest way (£100) to go mind you.

edit… NoBody, which Hope headset did you go with ? and if I stick with the original Voodoo wheels will I need to brake converter ?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

The cheapest overall upgrade I know of is still http://www.carboncycles.cc/?s=0&c=105&p=1780&tb=001 for a carbon set of straight steerer, FDS forks, that the default FDS Wazoo wheel will work with.

There are headsets out there that will allow straight steerer head tubes to run tapered forks, going on this old article, which sounds like a real possibility for the Wazoo http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/new-headset-allows-use-of-tapered-steerers-in-some-1-1-8in-head-tubes-25275/

If you bought a tapered fork, such as slimjim78’s Bluto in the classified, you would need a front wheel that had a 150mm hub, the cheapest option I know of would be http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WBOOEELF/on-one-emmental-fat-rim-on-el-guapo-fat-hubs (although it does not say if the 150mm front is FDS like the Bluto), or online you could build a Hope Fatsno hub front wheel for ~£200 before British Cycling discount at http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/hope-custom-mtb-disc-front-wheel/rp-prod63716 , or maybe your LBS can do you a deal to build something up.

RDS hubs that will fit the On One carbon fork are getting harder to find, I really wish now I had bought one of those Hope Pro 2 EVO Fatsno hubs that CRC had for ~£40 last summer as a spare. They only have the FDS version now, I was lucky to grab a complete RDS front wheel from PX last summer for £34.

I think it was http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/hope-integral-semi-integrated-zs44-headset/rp-prod18084 that my LBS ordered up for me from Hope, it’s getting fitted tomorrow with the carbon fork to pick up tomorrow afternoon (all being well).

dahedd
    Free Member

I’m chatting to my mate who is the bike mech, he totally rejigged my Stumpjumper for me recently. He’s definately more inclined towards the On-One fork like you have. Do i need the spacer from Triton if i want to use the standard Wazoo wheels for now ??. Must remember to get more spacers if it raises up the front end.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Sadly, the Front Disc Spaced default Wazoo wheels cannot use an adapter to fit the Rear Disc Spaced carbon On One fork.

The adapter i bought from Triton makes RDS wheels fit an FDS fork, like the default Wazoo fork.

You need to find an RDS hub or complete wheel to use with the RDS carbon On One fork. Or have a chat with kayak23 on here, about using a lathe the reduce your brake mount bolt sections by 4.8mm. 😉

Maybe contact PlanetX to clarify if their any of their 135mm hub fat wheels will fit their carbon fork disc spacing.

dahedd
    Free Member

Oh well that buggers that then. I’ll have a look at the eXotic fork instead. Hopefully that’ll work.

Might have to link my mate into this thread, get his, advice as I’ll no doubt be pestering him when I’m putting it together.

Viewing 7 posts - 81 through 87 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Voodoo Wazoo upgrades’ is closed to new replies.