Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Virus in bundled software – AAAAGGGGHHHH!
  • blurty

Bought an Assus laptop from John Lewis. The bundled software must have had a trojan virus as added extra. Removing it has been a real pain.

What has disappointed me is that the McAfee software did not eliminate the virus as it emerged, (and anyway, I thought the security software built into Windows 8.1 was as good as the 3rd party offerings.)

Advice needed: Should I remove McAfee and just rely on the built-in Windows security features?

leffeboy

Advice needed: Should I remove McAfee and just rely on the built-in Windows security features?

always

The bundled software must have had a trojan virus as added extra. Removing it has been a real pain.

What was the virus?

allthepies
    Free Member

That’s bad!

I’d use just the MS anti-virus with regular malwarebytes scans personally.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So after telling us have you told Asus? They would probably like to know so at least they can check it out.
    At what point did you find the trojan? Was it before you connected to the internet and before you put anything onto the machine?

and yes remove mcaffee,mcnorton,mcavg or anything else like that.

Drac

What has disappointed me is that the McAfee software did not eliminate the virus as it emerged,

McAfee is bloat where it’s as bad as a Virus.

blurty

I haven’t got a note of the Trojan name here at work, it emerged as the propriety Asus crap (picture editor, cloud storage etc etc) was unpacking itself, The machine was connected to the internet but I hadn’t started downloading any other software etc.

I sent an email to Asus at the weekend. No reply yet.

Drac

So was it’s a virus or was it Asus bloating your PC?

leffeboy

So it may not have been an actual trojan/virus but rather McAfee just reporting suspicious behavior due to Asus sending stuff home during startup. That seems more likely really

edit:oooo, Drac is so fast

blurty

The symptom was that, on opening a new page/ link, the web browser was redirected to pages advertising all manner of shite (anti-virus software, pills, holidays etc etc).

I ran a full scan using the McAfee crap and it found 6 viruses.

Disappointing that it didn’t isolate them as they emerged.

leffeboy

if it was just a browser redirect then it may just be how the home/new tab page is set up in your browser. McAfee detecting 6 viruses is more of a problem though, it would be interesting to know what they were.

molgrips
    Free Member

The browser redirect think is probably not a virus technically, so could have been missed. Serious problem for Asus. Personally I’d give John Lewis a call too, they will be helpful.

Potdog
    Free Member

Was it definitely a new machine. Box hadn’t been opened before? Just wondered if it was possible that it had been sold and returned after being used for a short time without being cleaned up properly?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Quite a few things show up as Trojans / advertising malware which aren’t really viruses. I used to use AVG anti-virus always found that the best, even the free one. Bundled anti-virus is just another company trying to sell you stuff you don’t need.

mogrim

The only time I’ve ever had a virus on a Windows machine was one that I had just bought – IIRC it was the last one in stock, and I’m guessing that someone in the store had been using it before sale.

I spent a few hours trying to sort it out, but in the end I did a clean Windows install – if your new laptop came with recovery disks (and you don’t plan on returning it) I’d recommend doing the same.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Virus in bundled software – AAAAGGGGHHHH!’ is closed to new replies.