• This topic has 40 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Video game for my 11 year old boy
  • deserter
    Free Member

So after a couple of days explaining that lap dances and prostitutes aren’t appropriate for the little fella we went on YouTube to look at all the new games etc, it seemed like everything was a M rating and the only reason we could see for that was the frequent use of F bombs, so my question is what games can you turn the foul language off or which ones a fairly appropriate anyway

He loved uncharted so I was going to go for tomb raider but that had lots of swearing in the footage we saw also

Thanks in advance

tootallpaul

Dunno of any games where the dialogue can be filtered- I would imagine that would be very hard to achive.

And as you say, The new Tomb Raider is very adult in many aspects.

How about the new Rayman game- it is amazing. Or will that be a little “childish” for an eleven year old?

bails

Just cause 2?

Daniel
    Free Member

My boys play the Lego games – Harry Potter, Batman and Star Wars. Driving games and they love Minecraft

anonymouse
    Free Member

Puppeteer has been getting good press. And Rayman Legends is being raved about.

zilog6128

This was my favourite game when I was 11. HTH

deserter
    Free Member

I suggested Rayman to him
    he used to play all the lego games but seems to have gone off them

he is going through a transition at the moment where he doesn’t really play with toys anymore and just skateboards so he’s become a bit difficult to buy for,

Call of Duty black ops had a filter on it so i was wondering if others had followed suit

we only ever get a couple of games a year in the Autumn to last the Winter so neither of us really keep up with games and tbh this all started as the GTA advert has been on the tv every 5 mins for the last little while

edlong
    Free Member

Every kid I know of around that age (my son’s twelve, so that’s quite a few) seems to spend a LOT of time on Minecraft. I’m led to believe that it’s a reasonably constructive activity, as computer gaming goes.

seadog101

My eleven year old can’t get enough of Minecraft. And I can see why.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Wtf is it with mine craft, they play it, they watch others play it, the watch youtube videos pof people who have played it. What is it doing? When you watch it being played, it looks teeeeeeeedius!

Daniel
    Free Member

I don’t get Minecraft either, it’s tedious to me too. My boys would spend hours on it (if I didn’t limit them) and hours watching youtube vids of people playing it. My eldest built a Pirate ship after watching a vid, it was impressive but I don’t know where he gets the patience to do it from. I wish he had the same patience with his home work.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

Minecraft is pretty amazing imho.
    Have a look at “Minecraft amazing redstone computer” on youtube.

The ability to build a functioning computer within a computer game is pretty special.

ji
    Free Member

You can filter adult language and gore with Gears of War 3…but I am not sure I would let my 11 year old play it despite that!

patriotpro
    Free Member

What machine does he have?

PGR4
    The Orange Box
    Mario Kart
    Mario Galaxy
    Sports games, there’s loads of brill games about nowadays without having hear the f-bomb every other second.

yorlin
    Free Member

Skateboardy games used to be brilliant..?

Skyrim is great fun, though some killing bits are a little bit violent… I think you can turn that off in settings. And its cheapola now!

deserter
    Free Member

He was big on minecraft,like you say it took over his whole life for a while

We mainly use the ps3, we have an xbox 360 too but I don’t invest in it too much I was annoyed when I got home and found out it doesn’t have a hard drive

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

GTA V?

DezB
    Free Member

Call of Duty black ops had a filter on it so i was wondering if others had followed suit

Shooting people in the head is ok, but hearing the F word is a no no 😆

Skateboardy games used to be brilliant..?
    Skate 3 is great.

I’ll ask my boy what he’d recommend later. He’s 11.

AlexSimon

Shooting people in the head is ok, but hearing the F word is a no no 😆

This is exactly what went through my mind too. For that reason, I’ve found it difficult to find a game to recommend.
    Gran Turismo 6 (when it comes out)?

fasthaggis

Jak and Daxter ?

Ratchet and Clank?

richmtb

Get a Wii and get Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2.

11 year old friendly and absolutely superb games too.

Driving games and sports games are generally a safe bet too.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

fifa is probably the best value game. As you can just keep playing and trying to get better.

steep learning curve now adays

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Or driving games the rally ones are good.

binners

I bought this on the recommendation of a similar thread a while back

Its brilliant! And utterly and completely bonkers!!! The kids love it!!

MrsToast
    Free Member

He might be at an awkward age where he considers himself ‘too old’ for stuff like Mario and Rayman (regardless of how difficult or good the games actually are), and wants to play the big name titles like CoD/Battlefield/GTA because they’re so highly regarded by the gaming media (and so heavily hyped).

Racing games are normally a safe bet – the Gran Turismo, Forza, DiRT and GRID series are very good, and you can also pick up Blur and Split/Second at a bargain price now.

In terms of action games and shooters, it’s probably worth bearing in mind that the age ratings are far harsher than they are for movies – what would be a 12 for a film would be a 15 for a game, and what would be a 15 would be an 18. There are some games that do thoroughly deserve their 18 rating though (GTAV – although you can run over a bike thief and return the bike to its rightful owner, so that’s nice).

If you’re OK with fantasy violence, Darksiders II is good fun – there’s glorious, glorious decapitation and stabbing (you play as Death, in a ‘one of the Four Horsemen’ context), but you’re fighting monsters rather than people, and it’s very stylised.

Diablo 3 has just been released on the home consoles too.

Fueled
    Free Member

Im astonished that nobody has mentioned Portal yet. Awesome game, and nothing objectional for a young’un.

AlexSimon

Little Big Planet 2

sbob
    Free Member

tootallpaul – Member

Dunno of any games where the dialogue can be filtered- I would imagine that would be very hard to achive.

Using a PS3 and stereo speakers, set the audio controls to 5.1 surround. On a lot of games speech only comes out the centre speaker, which you won’t have. 😳

tomhoward

I really liked the first ratchet and clank, and cant think of anything that would offend young minds (cartoon shooting, but its comical, think weapons 4 times the size of the character)

Cheers
    Tomhoward, aged 28 1/2

Legoman
    Free Member

My lad’s 11, he used to love the Lego games but has grown out of them too.

Current favourites are:
    Forza Horizon on Xbox (rated 12 for bad language so he plays with the sound turned down bless ‘im)
    Gran Tourismo on PS3
    Minecraft on anything & everything
    Clash of the Clans on iPad (this is sweeping through their school like wildfire – reckon it’s the next Minecraft).

Given that we try to limit him to 1 hour a day, I don’t know how he fits it all in!

deserter
    Free Member

Thanks a lot guys, games are so hard to get these days, we used to shoot people in games but it wasn’t graphic and there certainly weren’t cut scenes with the dialogue from a Tarantino film

He doesn’t play much bless him but when he gets on the school bus it’s all gta and cod and we feel like the only parents saying no sometimes, I try to appease him and let him have teen games but nearly everything that looks good at the mo is a M

Might get FIFA and let him beat me to make him feel better

debaser

Another recommendation for Portal/Portal 2

Superb games, a little dark around the edges, but nothing offensive.

Wish game physics/storylines had been that good when I was eleven.

deserter
    Free Member

Sounds good, I will nip down the game shop and look at some of the suggestions

AlexSimon

Wish game physics/storylines had been that good when I was eleven.

Hey – when I was 11 it was a good year for games!
    Manic Miner
    Atic Atac
    Jet Pac
    Cookie
    Horace
    (also Donkey Kong 3 and Mario Bros, but I didn’t get to play those until much later)

rewski
    Free Member

I have a 5 and 10 year old boys, we like our driving games on the PS3, NFS Most Wanted is awesome, especially the airport add on. Dirt rally games are great too, Dirt Showdown is fun, basically a demolition derby, you can pick it up real cheap too.

emsz
    Free Member

Another vote for the portals. None of the Halos or assassins creed series are really sweary. My brov (13) luvs halo 4. Mirrors edge?

dogthomson

Zack and Wiki (Wii)
    Okami (Wii)
    Beautiful Katamari (Xbox 360) or Katamari Forever (PS3)
    Pikmin 2 (Wii)

Manhunt… Not really!

warton
    Free Member

he is going through a transition at the moment where he doesn’t really play with toys anymore and just skateboards so he’s become a bit difficult to buy for,

The Skate series of games are fantastic, not just great skateboarding games, great games full stop.

martinhutch

Yay! Rabbids go home is ace.

Whatever his mates are into is normally the correct answer.

yorlin
    Free Member

My only experience of the Skate games is the excellent videos of the glitches that show up regularly. 😆

If you tap your feet too many times, do really simultaneously break your legs and fly off into the scenery??

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Video game for my 11 year old boy’ is closed to new replies.