Home Forums Chat Forum Velux windows…..servicing

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Velux windows…..servicing
  • SiB
    Free Member

Had two remote controlled velux for a couple of years now and noticed that they are becoming a tad jolty/jumpy/noisey when opening and closing.

Do you have to service them and by service I mean grease the chain?

Haze

Sold as maintenance free with a 10 year warranty I believe, contact the point of sale?

SiB
    Free Member

Installed by builder who I cant get in touch with now.

I’m sure a bit of oil on chain will suffice!!

Flaperon

Builder will refer to Velux, who will come back telling you to sod off.

“Our windows don’t leak. You’re obviously leaving it open.”

Warranty not worth the paper it’s written on.

SiB
    Free Member

Flaperon…..sounds ike you need the automatic rain sensors??

Haze

In that case GT85!

Flaperon, if your rooflights are leaking then they’ve been installed incorrectly.

Flaperon

Trouble is, I can’t figure out where it’s leaking from. Heavy wind blown rain causes a trickle of water from the bottom corner, but having poked my head out the flashing looks spot on. Hence Velux’s accusations that I’m leaving it open (which I’m not…).

Haze

Can’t really advise on the installation, I’ve only drawn the stuff and can’t honestly see how water can get through those flashings.

Provided they’re properly installed of course!

chickenman

Haze+1: Sometimes they get fittted by people who dont understand how the flashings work; I’ve seen one have all the soakers nails on first and the slates then nailed down through them!! Pantiles need a bit of thought re the positioning of the window relative to the tiles.

pigeonthing
    Free Member

if there velux they should have a sticker with a code on the inside of the frame somewhere in the jamb, use that ref no as its a one off relating to your window… and call their customer service…normally not a problem

piha
    Free Member

Velux are not sold as maintenance free for ten years, you need to carry out a bit of cleaning and lubricating etc.

That said your windows shouldn’t be leaking but you will have to try to find out exactly where the water is entering the window system. If you have access to the windows try a small water test (with a hose pipe) but don’t overdo the water as you’re trying to find a possible leak not cause one! Start at the bottom of the window and slowly work your way up to the top of the window. Have someone on the inside to observe the window and if or when the water penetrates the system, photo it and note down where on the window you noticed it. If the leak due to the flashings installation then that’s not a product fault, if the gasket is the source then it’s fairly easy to replace the gaskets, if the joints on the window are leaking then you still have a couple of options before you need to start ripping things apart.

PS once again, please don’t use too much water when you carry out a test, different windows are designed for different applications, cwct website has some useful info.

Haze

Velux are not sold as maintenance free for ten years, you need to carry out a bit of cleaning and lubricating etc.

Apologies misread, it’s only the operator that is maintenance free.

http://www.velux.co.uk/Private/Service/FAQ

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Velux windows…..servicing’ is closed to new replies.