Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Vehicle hire in the Alps, PassePorte's du Soleil trip for 2010.
  • Ambrose

I'm arranging a PassePorte's du Soleil trip for 2010. Anyone know of a decent way of getting 5 or 6 boxed bikes, plus owners and weekend baggage from Geneva? airport to Morzine? Surely a van (eg Vito/ transit crew bus) would be cheaper than individual transfers- and more flexible at the fun end- i.e. Morzine/ Les Gets too. In the past I've driven out but this time we are really pushed for time so are just making a 'long' weekend of it.

All advice welcome.

Kramer
    Free Member

Vans are quite expensive to hire. Reckon a transfer company would be your best bet.

Ambrose

I've heard that too, but would like the flexibility of our own transport if it's at a reasonable cost

geoffj

It may work out cheaper to book the smallest car possible and a regular transit-type van than go for something that will do both.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Every year we go and use a transfer company it's not too expensive. 9 people 410 euros return journey so roughly £35 each return when it's in a comfy large air-conded bus and you don't have to stress about finding the way driving etc.
    I can give you the name of the company we use if you want, they have mini bus with a large trailer.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Your best bet if you're set on hiring would probably be to hire 2 cars. Get one big estate car (or even a small panel van, but as above, they're hard to find and expensive), fold all the seats down and stuff it full of bikes/bags. Then get a second (cheap) car for all the people!

Ambrose

I really like the van plus tiny car idea- spot on. Who's the best provider?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

We hired cars from National. Ordered over the phone

When we went to get them, they were NOT at the Geneva side like we asked but the FRENCH side so we had to get our stuff, and bikes through these very narrow barriers as we went from Switzerland to France inside Geneva airport. Then we waited an hour whilst they got petrol for one car then another 45 minutes whilst we waited for them to fix a puncture.

Then we got keys for 2 Citroen C2 cars HAVE YOU SEEN THE SIZE OF THEM!

F**Kers – we had to get 2 bikes plus kit plus 2 blokes into each.

We'd ordered Fiesta size cars knowing 2 bikes in bags would easily go in but we got stiffed. We managed to get the bikes in but basically had to wear our helmets as there wasn't room. it was that tight.

To say we weren't happy is an understatement.

The car hire company did exactly the same with a family of 4 (luggage and 2 push chairs) into a C2 won't fit.

Although car hire worked out cheaper than a transfer for us, I doubt I'd do it again as it nearly ruined our stay.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

We've hired a car before and been told we would get X which would be big enough to get bags and 2 x bike bags in then we've arrived and got a Honda Jazz or something like that! Company just say "tough" you get what you pay for and that's all we had!!!! Transfer company definately the best option and least stressful.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Vehicle hire in the Alps, PassePorte's du Soleil trip for 2010.’ is closed to new replies.