Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 120 total)
  • Utterly gobsmacked by the youth of today
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Only old films I’d watch repeatedly.

Duck Soup

The Ladykillers

Andromeda Strain

Erm, that’s it…

loddrik
    Free Member

People actually listen to Oasis…?

How quaint.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I still haven’t gotten over the young lad in the office not knowing what a Photocopier is – oh he’s familiar with the equipment, it’s a printer or a scanner, or a “3-in-1” which is odd because he wasn’t really sure what the 3rd function was and assumed it was “scan to print” which is photocopying, but it’s actually faxing, but as it’s not been hooked up to a phone line in a decade or more he’s probably more right than me.

The truth is that walking up to a bit of equipment the size, of well, a Photocopier just to turn 1 piece of paper into 2, sort of, identical ones is an alien to him as using carbon paper was to me to make 2 versions of them same thing was to me 20 years ago.

“Surely you’d just print it twice” (which again is a bit of an odd concept to him, they don’t even have a printer in the “young people office”.

“What if you don’t have a digital copy?”

“then you’d scan it in first”

His thought process, when confronted with a hard copy of something, apart from being very odd, would be to scan it first – so you have a robust digital version and if you want more – print more, but that almost never happens. Ideally, they’d use software to turn a optical file into a word document that can be amended etc.

There’s other things too, physical meetings are just for Sales, so they can chat up clients and have zero practical use otherwise.

Phone calls are intrusive and a way for people to bully their way into your undivided attention. Honestly, non-personal phone calls with 20 somethings are set either to ‘send’ or ‘receive’ they either do all the talking, or none, free exchange of ideas – nah.

E-mails don’t need to be replied to, just sent or received, if the sender isn’t implicit in their message, they can be ignored.

You ‘chat’ via ‘Skype for Business’ (think 21st century MSN messenger if you’re not using it now.) because it’s freer to chat than e-mail, but can be recovered later like e-mail for reference.

fatoldgit

Its a generation and perspective thing….

A few weeks ago I was talking to a youngster at work who didn’t know who Led Zeppelin were

Turns out I’ve been with the same company longer than she has been alive

akira

Harvey with James Stewart.
    Marx brothers are always good.

Drac

I’m almost 40. To current teenagers, Oasis and Blur are as outdated as Queen was when I was their age.

I’m 44 and Queen was sill very much in date when I was a teenager.

honeybadgerx

We found a shaft whilst investigating a site earlier in the year, and I spent some time making various noises meant to resemble the theme tune along with numerous ‘who’s that guy…’ type comments. All were met with the same slightly confused and deeply pitying stare.

leffeboy

Laurel & Hardy isn’t really watchable any more I find. I would like to like it but can’t. Abbot and Costello is even worse. The problem is the pace is just a bit too slow and drags now

Magnificent Seven though…

funkmasterp

We are all old and out of touch with the youth. Our time has passed and all that jazz.

Does surprise me that people on their twenties haven’t heard of Led Zeppelin though. I share an office with two twenty something ladies and they know classic music and film. Then again we work in the industry so not that surprising 😐

wilburt
    Free Member

How many Youtube stars can you name?

CHB

My favourite one (not film related) was a 21 year old year in industry placement we had in 2013. Topic of Russia and WW2 came up. Student asked part way through the conversation “Who’s is Stalin?”. My explanation: “Well you have heard of Hitler, yeah? Good. Well he’s like Russias version of Hitler, but with a bigger moustache”.

thegreatape
    Free Member

This phenomenon is proving problematic in my workplace too. Lookalikes are a long running tradition, but the two newest members of the department just looked puzzled when they found photos of Eddie Munster and the original Charlie Bucket pinned up above their desks.

yossarian
    Free Member

My 10 year old listens to queen and loves animated films from yesteryear

My 8 year old listens to ac/dc, deep purple and cream!

Most 16-21 year olds I know (I work in FE so it’s quite a few) are fully conversant with old bands. Had a great conversation with one yesterday about husker du. Loads of cure & clash t-shirts being worn around the college at the minute.

The young uns get it, they just aren’t prepared to like or rate things because we do.

Things are as they should be.

maccruiskeen

Talk today randonmly brought up the subject of Steve McQueen. All three of the young pups had absolutely no idea who he was. Never heard of him.

Well it seems like a blink of an eye to people our age – but its actually 18 years since he won the Turner Prize.

Only 3 years since he won his Oscar though.

Cougar

The young uns get it, they just aren’t prepared to like or rate things because we do.

Sure they are, there’s a button for it and everything.

maccruiskeen

Lookalikes are a long running tradition, but the two newest members of the department just looked puzzled when they found photos of Eddie Munster and the original Charlie Bucket pinned up above their desks.

A – I don’t know who Eddie Munster is
    B – I didn’t even realise I worked for you.
    C- I wear the same shoes CFH

edlong
    Free Member

The music thing, I think is partly due to a different experience of radio (and tv, BITD)

When I was a lad, and all this was fields, Radio 1 was still in the Smashy and Nicey era and although it was the 1980s, Radio 1 was “pop” and “pop” started in about 1960 as far as they were concerned, so on Radio 1 you were as likely to hear the Beatles as you were something contemporary. Commercial and local radio was similar.

Then in the early 90s Radio 1 culled DLT and his ilk and went all “Year Zero” so da yoof were suddenly not exposed to old Fleetwood Mac alongside their New Kids on The Block.

Films I think is a similar lack of exposure but perhaps the cause is different – fragmentation in multiple channels and other non-Broadcast sources – maybe this started in the “hire a tape from Blockbuster” era – before that I’m sure I watched plenty of films because they were the ones that happened to be on.

I’m probably mid-point relative to some posters regarding the next generation – I’ve forced some old classics on my kids (film and music) – some has hit and some hasn’t. They’d still probably go more for some new CGI anthropomorphic animal on a contrived quest than anything black and white.

But weirdly they both appreciated Fiddler on the Roof (“What’s it about Dad?” “It’s a three hour long musical about an impoverished Jewish community in Imperial Russia struggling with the encroachment of modern ideas and the effect it has on their way of life and traditions, set against the historical backdrop of brutal state oppression” “Is it funny?” “Yes.”)

I’ve never seen The Sound of Music.

theotherjonv

My particular reference to this was walking into our lab at work and the radio was playing Love Will Tear Us Apart; I commented on what a bloody good tune it was and the assembled youngsters looked at me blankly without recognition of who it was.

I then went and googled it.

37 years ago.

I iz well old

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

You ‘chat’ via ‘Skype for Business’ (think 21st century MSN messenger if you’re not using it now.) because it’s freer to chat than e-mail, but can be recovered later like e-mail for reference.

The millennials in my company hate Skype, they insist on using Slack.

I now have to use;

email
    Skype for business
    Microsoft Teams
    Slack
    Yammer

depending on which team I am interfacing with; some of the guys are in their 50’s and wonder how I know about stuff when they seen nothing on email.

We can also age our engineers/sysadmins by platform;

Mainframe – 50’s
    Unix/Oracle – 40’s
    Windows/SQL Server – 30’s
    Can I download it from Docker-Hub? – 20’s

akira

That sentence just looks wrong.
    I think a strong story in a film will still captivate a younger audience, but the suspension of disbelief is much harder with an older film when they’re used to photo realistic cgi.

Dickyboy

Probably about 20yrs ago now my oldest boys mate commented as I chucked a record on the decks “they’re those massive CDs they’re really ancient aren’t they”

nickc

I’m the same age as the OP and of Steve McQuuen, I’ve seen: the car chase in Bullet (the rest of the film is pretty mleh so turned it off) and the great escape….and that’s it.

Oh, I’ve just checked Imdb and he’s been in Magnificent Seven, and I’ve seen that, so well done Mr McQueen, a big impression you made there…

funkmasterp

How many Youtube stars can you name?

Fair point and I can’t name any unless How it Should Have Ended, Charlie the Unicorn and Honest Trailers count. I’m guessing they don’t though.

Me too! Only because I have an aversion to musicals though.

I also had my proudest moment as a father a few weeks ago. Mrs Funkmaster put Trolls on for Funk Jr, when they started singing he burst in to tears and covered his ears. Just like his Dad where musicals are concerned.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Look at Molgrips pretending he isn’t down with the (thirtysomething) kids and hasn’t heard of Donnie Darko or Jake Gyllenhaal. Bless.

Bet you’ve seen his sister in Secretary enough though eh?

My four year old has Mary Poppins on constantly. And all the older Disney stuff. I’m sure my missus will show her The Sound of Music when she can appreciate it. Just realised she’s probably old enough for Star Wars as well.

I don’t listen to the Beatles because I don’t think they are all that and anything worthwhile is usually the less popular stuff (Helter Skelter). Just a band.

kayak23

One of my students was wearing a Ramones T-shirt.

He didn’t have a blummin clue that they were even a band, never mind what they sounded like.

I was shocked and appalled op so I feel your pain.

anagallis_arvensis

My boy is 6 and he’s seen the Magnificent 7!! Loves it.

he’s been in Magnificent Seven, and I’ve seen that, so well done Mr McQueen, a big impression you made there…

Only one of the greatest show stealing acting performances ever..you are completely dead to me!!!
    Its in the shaking of the cartridges befote they go in the gun or the waving of the hat or using it ho shield his eyes from the sun…genius

edlong
    Free Member

Re. the t-shirt thing, I remember feeling both very old and a bit narked when I realised I was seeing people wearing Nirvana t-shirts who weren’t born when they were active.

Then I remembered the Hendrix t-shirt I used to own.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Poor old Kurt Cobain has been shifting t-shirts for a lot longer than he sold records, but then a lot of kids had Ché t-shirts when I was a kit in school, not one of use knew who he was.

Not bad for a 3 album, 1 hit album band from 25 years ago.

CountZero

The music thing, I think is partly due to a different experience of radio (and tv, BITD)

When I was a lad, and all this was fields, Radio 1 was still in the Smashy and Nicey era and although it was the 1980s, Radio 1 was “pop” and “pop” started in about 1960 as far as they were concerned, so on Radio 1 you were as likely to hear the Beatles as you were something contemporary. Commercial and local radio was similar.

Then in the early 90s Radio 1 culled DLT and his ilk and went all “Year Zero” so da yoof were suddenly not exposed to old Fleetwood Mac alongside their New Kids on The Block.
    Very much this, sadly. After the ‘Night of the Long Styli’, when all the old pirate radio DJ’s got culled, Radio 1 pretty much became a forbidden zone for anyone over twelve, and Radio 2 was still stuck in the 70’s, whereas before on Radio 1 you might hear some cheesy pop stuff like Renee and Ronalta, but you’d hear Deep Purple, Jethro Tull, quite a wide variety of stuff.*
    Now 6Music is playing stuff going back to the 30’s and 40’s, right up to new stuff that hasn’t even got a record distribution deal yet, younger people stand some chance of discovering a decent history of pop and rock music, Radio 1 just seems to be one continuous Groundhog Day, where the sheer repetition of the music makes each record indistinguishable from every other.
    Having to spend a good chunk of each day listening to Radio One in the team car, it’s just become like aural porridge, just nothing to relieve the boredom.
    Except for the odd occasion when they play Royal Blood.
    What’s noticeable is the number of really young people attending gigs for bands you’d never hear on Radio One, bands as diverse as The Dears and Pinkshineyultrablast, which is good to see.
    *Even Radio Two play Zeppelin, Purple and more rock stuff, in among the bland pop.
    Thank the deity of your choice for 6Music, I wouldn’t have half the music I have without it.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Perchy, Perchy, Perchy….view this as an opportunity to school the kids. Start off with classic Van Damme, a little Segal, some Chuck Norris and finish with the Goonies. Then force them to do the truffle shuffle.

Cougar

I now have to use;

email
    Skype for business
    Microsoft Teams
    Slack
    Yammer

You’re the first person I’ve ever come across who uses Yammer. The traditional approach is to install it because you’re told to install it, then never use it because no-one uses it.

onlysteel
    Free Member

I watched ‘The Cowboys’, John Wayne, the other week. Thoroughly enjoyed it! Yoof didn’t even look up from the iPad.

Rich_s

I’m a trainer and work with lots of different companies across the country and with quite a range of experience.

Last week for the first time I had the “how old are you?” 42 “oh! You’re the same age as my mum!” comment. ,:-(

Bear in mind that yoofs starting work today may never have used a phone with buttons. Or a cable. And phones with dials are things their granny has/had.

I’ve also had the “what’s a fax?” Conversation with a graduate.

Last month a 21 year old told me that she only found out this year that she was supposed to drive in the inside Lane on motorways. She’s been driving since she was 17. That worried me!

footflaps

I now have to use;
    email
    Skype for business
    Microsoft Teams
    Slack
    Yammer

I have heard of Slack and Yammer, but no idea what they are. Mind you, we don’t have any yoof at work (thankfully).

hammerite
    Free Member

Up until very recently I was the oldest person in my team (aged 39). Last year when celebrities were dying left right and centre we had weekly conversations about who it was had died. My colleagues in their late 20s/early 30s knew of most of the celebrities, but didn’t know what most of them did. Those in their early/mid 20s were pretty much clueless about all of them (bar David Bowie).

The soundtrack to weekend car journeys used to be Pick of the Pops.

When I was a kid we had a VHS and 4 channels. Therefore repeats of classic films were common (think how often people moaned about Spartacus being the only thing on on a bank holiday). Now it’s far too easy to avoid watching anything you know nothing about – hundreds of TV channels and TV/films on demand.

Cougar

When I was a kid we had a VHS and 4 channels.

Luxury!

sirromj

I’m almost 40. To current teenagers, Oasis and Blur are as outdated as Queen was when I was their age.

I’m 44 and Queen was sill very much in date when I was a teenager. [/quote]
    Well I’m 42 and I never liked them.

How many youtube stars can you name?

[alan partridge]Effff offfff![/alan partridge]

CheesybeanZ

The thing is thats what they are .. the youth of today .
    Today being 2017 not 1967 .

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The difference between the yoof now and when the OP was the same age in terms of what they watch is basically that they don’t have to suffer the repeats we did.

They have Netflix etc, we had 4 channels, so had to endure what ‘dad was watching’.

So, they won’t know who older stars are. Simples.

johndoh
    Free Member

Pfft. My 8 yr olds have read Mein Kampf, enjoy interpretive dance and refuse to watch anything on the television in their own native tongue.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 120 total)

The topic ‘Utterly gobsmacked by the youth of today’ is closed to new replies.