Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Utility biking: my new bike trailer
  • euanr
    Free Member

Thought some of you may appreciate a wee review of my new trailer – a Carry Freedom City. So far just used this for hauling big supermarket loads but I’m planning a wee camping trip up Glen Tilt with it soon.

It takes a heavy load of shopping with ease and doesn’t seem to affect the handling of the bike in the slightest. Very easy to hitch up to the bike and can be secured using a d-lock by taking the bag off, folding the handle and parking against the bike at the rack (the top of the trailer frame sits level with my top tube). You could add capacity by strapping stuff to the top (bog-roll in my pics or a duffle-bag).

It folds pretty quickly but I don’t really bother as it stands up vertically and takes up very little room in the flat. The wee 12 inch wheels seem to cope fine with potholes and bumps and the tyres seem tough enough. Quality of construction is great (nice welds!) and support from Carry Freedom is first class. 😀

coffeeking
    Free Member

Looks like fun, but i’d be shopping every few days if I used that instead of a car for the supermarket 🙂

thepodge
    Free Member

i shop almost every day because i dont have a car and i can near remember what i need, if i didnt like 10 mins walk from 2 supermarkets i’d proper have one of them

fishboy
    Free Member

I’d be worried about the ice cream melting!

BigDummy
    Free Member

Good work!

How does the bag work – is it waterproof? is it all detachable, or are you putting grocery bags into the trailer’s bag?

Do you have a feel for the weight you’re carrying?

🙂

ourmaninthenorth

Like it. A lot.

I love the idea of the Carry Freedom trailer.

For me, coupled with a Brompton, it would make the perfect way to visit a foreign city: ride to the airport; check in Brompton, folded trailer and bag; fly; ride away from airport and see the sites of Barcelona or wherever; fly home; ride home.

😀

euanr
    Free Member

Fear not fishboy, the ice-cream made it safe and sound!

Just back from another shop as it happens – additional bag strapped to the top this time for more volume.

Bigdummy, the bag straps drape over the ends of the frame and then buckle underneath so the thing is tensioned. Not completely waterproof, but I’ve added some seam sealant to obvious weak points.

The bag comes off the frame and can be worn like a courier bag. The routine we’ve got into is to take the bag off the trailer on arrival at shop, lock trailer to bike and rack, carry bag round shop while shopping, put stuff through checkout and straight back into trolley (no carrier bags), take trolley out to bikes, strap bag back onto trailer and then pack shopping.

I reckon the weight today was 20-25kg. Handled fine – I ride a singlespeed at the moment so honking up the hills was required and no problem. More fun and less stressful than taking a car (we sold ours a wee while back).

miketually
    Free Member

Excellent – looks to be a great solution for people without a garage to keep a bigger trailer or cargo bike in.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Great stuff.

I like Tom’s Brompton idea too, although I fear he is packing too much stuff…

😉

AdamM
    Free Member

Nice, I like this. Must do more research into trailers, although Xtracycle remains the front runner for me.

ourmaninthenorth

I like Tom’s Brompton idea too, although I fear he is packing too much stuff…

You assume I’m only carrying my stuff. A weekend away usually requires at least 4 pairs of shoes for herself… 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Utility biking: my new bike trailer’ is closed to new replies.