• This topic has 21 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by sem.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • UST in the Alps
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

So, first off, will it cut the mustard?

At the moment, the bike I’m taking to the Alps this summer (not pure DH. More lift assisted trail/xc with the occasional DH course if we’re passing) has IRC Kujo and El gato tyres. Great tyres but too heavy, too worn, no longer availiable and they don’t convert to tubeless very well.

My other bike is running Maxxis Advantage tubeless and I’m liking that a lot but obviously, I want something a bit bigger for the Alps but not silly heavy (maybe 800 ~ 900 grms).

I’ve been looking at the Conti Vertical Pro 2.3 and the Maxxis Ignigtor FR 2.35. I’ve heard it suggested that the Ignigtor measures up about the same as the 2.1 ADvantage I’m running now. Tread looks very similar between the two, any opinions?

The other than caught my eye was the Conti Rubber Queen but it’s a big chunk of money more.

gravitydroppersrock
    Free Member

IMO the contis would be better as they have reinforced (3 ply) sidewalls iirc
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Continental_Rubber_Queen_22_UST_Folding_Tyre/5360041541/

Probably £60 a set from wiggle if you play the voucher game

Onzadog
    Free Member

Has anyone used tubeless in the Alps?

john_l
    Free Member

Yup. Tubeless Bontrager Big Earls 2.35 – no problem.

freeform5spot
    Free Member

Essential in my opinion!

Onzadog
    Free Member

John, FF5S, what tyres did you run?

stevomcd
    Free Member

I ride tubeless out here day in, day out. Wouldn’t be without it.

Strongly recommend proper UST tyres. At the moment I’ve gone beefy with 2.5″ ST High Roller on the front and 2.5″ 60a Minion on the back. Really liking it at the moment.

We treat climbs as a necessary evil, so I can still drag them up that and they’re **** great on the descents.

I rode standard tyres with sealant for a good chunk of last season (Conti Diesel 2.5s). Lovely lightweight setup but a bit prone to sidewall damage or tearing off a knobble.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve found from riding around the Peaks that it’s probably worth proper UST tyres even though I’m using Stans rims and sealant. Just needs that bit more in the side walls I think.

I’m sold on the idea but interested to know what tyres people ahve tried out there.

Steve, how wide is the 2.5 Minion on the back? I’ve got the stay clearance but find some wide tyres rub the front mech in the granny ride! They certainly do with 2.35″ Kujos.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Onzadog:

No problems with it in my Heckler (06 frame). Can’t comment beyond that!

freeform5spot
    Free Member

run Conti Pros in the Peak and have put 2.5″ Minions on F&R.

Run XM819s with no problems (although should run wider rims I am sure!)

UK-FLATLANDER

Used Conti Mountain King 2.4s last year to do the PPDS, worked really well. My mate ran the same set up and also was fine, but did manage to burp the tyre later in the season went riding near to the Med – did sound very extreme tough. The third member of our team ran High Roller LUSTs and was also very pleased with those.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Thanks guys. Any more for anymore?

Guess I need to get that extra set of Flow rims built up then!

DezB
    Free Member

I’ll probably be using Hutchinson USTs on my alps trip – they are meaty buggers. Toro 2.35s is what I’m looking at.
    Wouldn’t go for anything Tubeless Ready as they are too much of a compromise.

PikeBN14
    Free Member

2.35 Highrollers on a trip from Chamonix to Zermatt, no problems in 8 days of riding (no downhill courses though), but I have had sidewall damage over here!

juan
    Free Member

Has anyone used tubeless in the Alps?

yep
    they are shite. During the transvésubienne last WE the only ones with tyres problems were the ones with tubeless and non DH tyres

john_l
    Free Member

so, a nice mix of opposing views then ;o)

sootyandjim
    Free Member

I used ghetto tubeless last year at Les Arcs (Maxxis Ignitor 2.35) with no problem.

Gooner
    Free Member

i used some 2.5 maxxis minion super tacky ust’s in costarica in feb (rocks, roots scree etc) and no problems

they are coming to cham with me (albeit on a different bike) later this month

we will only be doing lift assisted stuff and i am not surei would want to be riding them uphill much!

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m planning on using proper UST tyres (for the stronger sidewalls) but running them on Stan’s Flow rims (amazingly lightweight for such a wide rim)

doug_basqueMTB.com

Not the alps here but v. rough and rocky. Big Earl Tubeless Ready 2.35’s were good. Highroller 2.35 LUST and blew out both sidewalls in under a week. Not impressed. Ordered a set of High Roller and Minion 2.5″ USTs which I think will be great but not on the bike yet.

After my LUST purchase all my Basque mates told me they wouldn’t last any time.

cynic-al
    Free Member

used it here and over there. Guess what, it works the same over there

sem
    Free Member

I have both 2.4 and 2.2 UST Rubber Queens on different bikes. Both are great, but the 2.4s come with the fancy Black Chili compound, which is only available on tyres made at their Germany factory. It’s a notable improvement with grip, and seemingly wear, which is a bit of a contradiction. Anyhow, they’re a great tyre for all sorts of conditions.

Just be warned, they’ve very large, much larger than my previous Contis (verts etc) for the marked sizing.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘UST in the Alps’ is closed to new replies.