Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • using windows xp ? yay or nay
  • chewkw
    Free Member

gofasterstripes – Member
    … the wording of this article is a little ambiguous.

That’s the nature of the beast … 😆

scaredypants

“Once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device—at no additional charge.”

not all that ambiguous

cookeaa

I would do that only if I can use Microsoft Office … arrghhh …

There are alternatives and many will work with office file types too…

or you could install Office under Linux using WINE apparently.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

That doesn’t say you don’t have to pay for it, but nevermind, I don’t mind being wrong 🙂

chewkw
    Free Member

cookeaa – Member

I would do that only if I can use Microsoft Office … arrghhh …

There are alternatives and many will work with office file types too…

or you could install Office under Linux using WINE apparently. [/quote]

I will give that a go when I get a bit more free time …

scaredypants – Member

“Once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device—at no additional charge.”

not all that ambiguous [/quote]

:mrgreen: There is some light at the end of the tunnel …

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

You can probably run windows in a virtual machine on Linux. It’s a little slow, and you need free ram, but it’ll get you there.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

The light at the end of the tunnel is the light of a fast approaching train.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Chew – you can try Win 10 and revert back if you need to, I have a Win 7 upgrade copy and can go back to the old OS at any time (you aren’t tied to a particular licence key either). I forsee no problems for you other than finding out it won’t run as well as you hoped.

We’re still using XP at work, I think we’re (EDF) paying MS for extended support.
    The rumour is that we’ll be changing to Windows 7 later this year.
    I had to change to Windows 8.1 late last year and really quite like it.

Rumour being the operative word, we were supposed to upgrade to Office 2010 last year and we’re still at the testing stage to see if it will work with older spreadsheets and stuff (no idea why it wouldn’t but hey ho). Personally I’d rather have a modern browser that actually works as an internet browser rather than Intranet browser (don’t get me started on Pulse either).

What group are you in out of curiosity?

chewkw
    Free Member

gofasterstripes – Member

The light at the end of the tunnel is the light of a fast approaching train.

😯 You’re right! D’oh! I thought it was the promise land. 😆

squirrelking – Member

Chew – you can try Win 10 and revert back if you need to, I have a Win 7 upgrade copy and can go back to the old OS at any time (you aren’t tied to a particular licence key either). I forsee no problems for you other than finding out it won’t run as well as you hoped.

My Win 7 (fully updated or up-to-date) is a retail copy i.e. not OEM, so I hope it works but for some reasons I can never upgrade to Internet Explorer 11 or … is it Internet Explorer 12 now. hmmm … nevermind I don’t use Internet Explorer just the latest Firefox. 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘using windows xp ? yay or nay’ is closed to new replies.