Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Using a Samsung S3 or Garmin Etrex for mountain bike navigation
  • grannyjone
    Free Member

I have got a Samsung S3 with Viewranger. Once the GPX file is uploaded, it does the job but it is really hard to use because I carry it in my pocket and have to keep stopping and looking at the screen. Is there any good handlebar mount for this type of phone ? Or is this not recommended as does the vibration cause damage to the phone when riding over rough terrain ? Is there an alternative way of riding with this type of phone and being able to look at the screen without having to stop, such as carrying the phone with an arm band ?

Alternatively I also have a Garmin Etrex Legend and I have failed to get a handlebar mount for this as well, frustratingly the ones they seem to sell are not compatible with the GPS, despite them saying it is. The mount just does not connect to the GPS.

These navigation issues are causing me massive problems and it’s frustrating to keep stopping every 30 seconds in areas with lots of junctions, especially when descending.

cp

Alternatively I also have a Garmin Etrex Legend and I have failed to get a handlebar mount for this as well, frustratingly the ones they seem to sell are not compatible with the GPS, despite them saying it is. The mount just does not connect to the GPS.

Have you got a Garmin mount? They come with a replacement battery cover which clicks onto the handlebar mount

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Handlebar-compatible-handheld-products/dp/B00004VX15

Anyway, the maps on the S3 will be much better than anything you might be able to get for the etrex which is an old device now.

grannyjone
    Free Member

Won’t a Samsung S3 get damaged by the vibration when mounted to the bike ? Especially when riding over boulders and stuff

As for those Garmin Etrex legend back cover/mount… I’ve bought one before and they don’t work. The memory card holder on the Garmin Etrex denies the back cover from slotting on. They are not compatible despite Garmin advertising that they are, causing many people to waste their money.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Won’t a Samsung S3 get damaged by the vibration when mounted to the bike ? Especially when riding over boulders and stuff

Probably not but the battery on mine tailed off really fast so would probably not last long with the screen on, it certainly wouldn’t like the weather unless in a bombproof case and hitting the deck might be terminal.

It’s the reason I have an Garmin 810, does the right job.

grannyjone
    Free Member

Looks like I have to use my Garmin Etrex Legend HCx then. I don’t think it is possible to mount this to the handlebars due to the lack of comparability in the back cover supplied by Garmin. It does not fit on the HCx due to the memory card slot. Loads of people have been caught out by this.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Using a Samsung S3 or Garmin Etrex for mountain bike navigation’ is closed to new replies.