Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Upgrading fork lowers?
  • fattatlasses
    Free Member

I’ve currently got 120mm Fox F-series QR forks on my ‘main use’ bike (Trek EX with OS headtube) and am wondering whether upgrading the lowers to 15mm bolt thru’s at its next service. FWIW, I occasionally use another bike which has 20mm bolt thru RS forks, and the difference in steering accuracy is quite noticeable. (Unfortunately, I can’t afford to upgrade to some new 20mm axled RS forks)

I only want to bother if I’m going to get a noticeable difference in stiffness & steering accuracy. Has anyone on here ridden QR and 15mm axle forks back to back? If so, do you reckon there’s a big difference?

neilforrow

done exactly what you are proposing to do with a set of talas forks… noticeable difference, esp in the rocky descents / technical stuff, but I got the lowers second hand. cost me about £70 to do with oil and a few other gubbins..

New they are mega money (£120 without seals IIRC) therefore probably not worth it…

if I were you, as you have got a 1.5 headtube I would look at getting a tapered qr15 fork second hand… flog what you have got, would probably work out better in the long run.

fattatlasses
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback, it’s an improvement in rocky/techy performance that I’m after, so good to hear it improves things.

Yeah, the new price is pretty eye-watering, so I’d wondered about keeping my eyes open for any new fork offers.

Nice one getting 2nd hand lowers BTW!

toys19
    Free Member

Also done this with fox 140 vanillas , Loco supplied me with 15mm lowers to replace my qr ones, straight swap no messing. Sold the qr lowers too.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Upgrading fork lowers?’ is closed to new replies.