Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Unusual obstacle in the road…
  • Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Drove out of Truro earlier on and got rather close to hitting a yacht (around 35ft) that had just fallen off a low loader trailer. Now that I did NOT expect.

Most unexpected objects in road from STWers please!

simonb512
    Free Member
    wwaswas

there was a burning car in the entrance road to Sainsburys when I pulled in once.

Smoke everywhere and flames coming out of bonnet.

I ran to petrol station and got fire extinguisher – not sure why really it was quite well alight.

When I got close to car I could hear some coughing and suddenly this worried looking face appeared at the drivers window. The driver and passenger were still in there!

I opened the door and he was just sat there with his hands on the wheel and she was besdie him with her handbag in her lap. They were probably both in their 70’s.

Got them both out and away from the smoke but the car was nearly burned out before the fire brigade got there.

khani
    Free Member

Was going down the M6 a while ago and a VW camper went past doing about 90 with the front of the roof popped up I presume for ventilation, about six miles further on and hit a wall of traffic, got to the front and a roofless camper on the hard shoulder and the roof in the fast lane,
    the coppers didn’t look too pleased either 😀

meehaja
    Free Member

my granddad hit a cow once, on a motorbike. He did duck down in the hope he’d go under it, but i guess he forgot he wasn’t a midget on a monkey bike.

A large piece of steel once fell off a truck, cartwheeled down the M1 and imbedded its self in the side of the ambulance. I was a shaking wreck for 5 mins, but the ex RAF bomber gunner sat next to me wasn’t phased at all.

There is often sofa’s/ mattresses at the side of Leeds inner ring road.

hels
    Free Member

Burning caravan at the side of the M74. Very slow parade of traffic with people cheering and clapping etc.

organic355
    Free Member

Tie-fighter?

s
    Free Member

Driving home late at night, through a narrow remote country lane, came round a tight bend and was greeted by a group playing cricket on the road! by frigging torchlight!

All kitted out in whites, had filders scatered all over the place, four ctates of beer as stumps!

God knows how many balls they lost…

😉

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

A bull on the slipway to the M40.

The boss of the quarry where I worked had a puncture on the N/S rear tyre of a tri axle trailer one dark morning without realising it until he got to his destination.
    “I thought it was leaning a bit on the roundabout”
    By that time the outer edge of the rim had worn away and the tyre was completely missing.
    I kept a look out as I drove out to him with a spare wheel, but never saw it.
    Somewhere between Mitcheldean and Merthyr Tydfil, there’s the remains of a 365/80R22.5

BigJohn

I was chatting to an old roadie the other day and he said towards the end of a 25 mile time trial he “hit a pig”. I assumed this was some kind of Stokie roadie expression for “the bonk” but no – a pig ran out from a field and he hit it and went sprawling.

PS – There’s a clip on Youtube of a rally car hitting a group of horses – 1 horse expires.

PPS – Meehaja – fazed.

oblique
    Free Member

on the ice last week came over the crest of a hill to find a flock of sheep in the road. No way of stopping in time. They decided to run at the very last second so no mutton stew for me.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

365/80R22.5

That’s MASSIVE! What was the vehicle?!

One walked up a hill and heard a loud BANG. A wheel shot past us, missing by inches. Our mates Dad was towing his pretty knackered boat when the wheel popped off.

kimbers

road trip to the megavalnche mates arrived to pick me up in london around 5am
    loaded up all my gear, mostly in the roofbox
    45 mins later on the motorway the driver twigs that being unable to find his roofbox keys and that funny banging noise is related
    pull over and 2 postmen hauls up behind us, pissing themselves saying weve been flashing you for the mile
    off at next junction and im performing some motorway frogger fun retriieving my body armour, sleeping bag etc etc

and we missed the ferry

Woody
    Free Member

I had to stop an old boy on the slip road to the M4 on his mobility scooter – a few more seconds and………………

meehaja
    Free Member

bigjohn, you could be right there, but i prefer the idea of a WW2 veteran not being melted by phasers. Even that wouldn’t faze him!

That’s MASSIVE! What was the vehicle?!

Similar to this.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

MTG – I see. Massive indeed!

bigyinn
    Free Member

Was following a merc van with a mini excavator on a trailer on the back of it once, then it sort of wobbled a bit, the trailer veered off to the the right before demolishing a fibreglass and concrete litter bin and coming to rest in a chip shop’s front window. 😯

trb
    Free Member

An associate (on the way to the rough ride) once closed the M6 by losing a bike rack + 3 bikes in the fast lane!

ScottChegg
    Free Member

my granddad hit a cow once, on a motorbike.

Come on, cows don’t ride motorbikes.

wwaswas

cows don’t ride motorbikes

Well, not since they made wearing a crash helmet compulsory, anyway.

molgrips
    Free Member

Probably a cow in the middle of the 4 lane main road into Andorra once -horns, cowbell and all.

Also once saw a pickup overtaking all the traffic at high speed (can’t remember if it was here or in the USA) with a sofa slung carelessly in the back sticking out all over the place and bouncing around a lot.

A mile or so further on there’s a sofa in the ditch, then some cushions, then another couple of hundred yards the two blokes are running back to pick it all up 🙂

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Leaving Braemar in twilight a girl in a Citroen Visa van barrel rolled towards us around the chainlink fence between the playing fields and the road.

She walked away from it.

lipseal
    Free Member

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

My dad ran into a bull in an early 1980s Ford Granada once…not that fast either. The bull kinda got up, a bit dazed and confused for a minute or two and then moseyed back into the field. My dad’s car was knackered. That was a fruity conversation with the farmer I can tell you.

downshep

A few years ago, a yellow submersible on a low loader clattered the railway bridge on the A8 beside the Clyde at Langbank. The load came off the trailer and landed on a Renault Clio. Car was trashed but driver ok.
    Would love to have read her insurance claim; “There I was driving beside the river, when all of a sudden this yellow submarine landed on my car.”

Nearly ran over a beaver sitting in the middle of the road at dark o’clock in Bonhill. Apparently a few had escaped from the Cameron Bear Park and had successfully colonised the River Leven. Weird looking thing.

Amos
    Free Member

lipseal, WTF is that!!!!???

iain1775
    Free Member

driving along at 60mph on the inside lane of the M40 I once came across a…….
    BMW,
    an Audi
    AND a Mercedes

I didnt expect that!!

(it was during the petrol crisis, maybe why they where all sticking to 48mph)

cynic-al
    Free Member

A cow was walking in the middle of the road in my first ever road race.

warton
    Free Member

amos, I believe thats a snake that has eaten a donkey, which has caused it to split…

sharki
    Free Member

Can’t think of anything impressively unusual other than the contents of a trailer.

The trailer was transporting offal from a slaughterhouse.

Picture one of the those tri-axle trailers full of guts, and heads and the tail gate failing whilst the lorry went round a round about.

In the height of summer to, so hummed a tad.

Oh BTW surf-mat.

A friend of mine was looking out for your awesomeness whilst in Truro yesterday. I told her to say, “Hi Mat”, to all the good looking men she saw.

I don’t think she found you, but got plenty of odd looks.. 😆

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

On a uni surf club trip back in the 1990’s we lost a fair amount of baggage from the roof of one of the minbuses on the M1.

Coppers seemed quite chilled out to be rescuing wetsuits from the carriageway with tyre marks up them. They said they were relieved because in the dark they initially looked like bodies…..

lipseal
    Free Member

lipseal, WTF is that!!!!???

Can’t say it’s classified 😉

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

On my way to work one day I found an articulated lorry that had tipped over taking a mini roundabout too fast. The trailer was open topped and had been full of tomatoes …

bassspine
    Free Member

I was heading for Bristol and the SW heading into spaghetti junction and saw a halfshaft and a wheel and tyre on the middle lane. About half a mile further on, a Transit van with a wheel missing.

iain1775
    Free Member

On my way to work one day I found an articulated lorry that had tipped over taking a mini roundabout too fast. The trailer was open topped and had been full of tomatoes …

The police had been chasing the lorry but couldnt ketchup

…is taht my coat over there, pass it me will you

bigyinn
    Free Member

anotherdeadhero – Member

Bet the driver was playing ketchup for the rest of the day…..

IGMC

bigyinn
    Free Member

OH FFS too slow again!

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

A fair few years ago, early November, it was dark and I was driving a lorry between two villages. I turned a sharp corner and ran over what appeared to be a body lying in the road. Natural reaction is panic and thinking i’ve just killed someone. Looking in the passenger mirror I saw something round and head shaped rolling down the hill. There’s a couple of kids standing by the side of the road, so I found the torch, got out, and readied myself to look. One of the kids shouted out

“hey mister, yu’ve just run over our guy ya d1ck”

I nearly wet myself.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Unusual obstacle in the road…’ is closed to new replies.