Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Unnecessary risks you've taken on a bike?
  • jhw
    Free Member

Post them here

Mine, yesterday

– I was descending Pentonville Road at speed (over 20mph);
    – The road was split by a narrow traffic island, two feet wide and about ten inches high
    – My side of the road was blocked by a bus which I got around by bunnyhopping onto the narrow traffic island at speed, from an awkward angle more or less parallel with the kerb, while a cement mixer was approaching in the opposite lane, precisely timed to smash me if I’d messed up the awkward bunnyhop and going too fast to stop if I had

Work’s very bad at the moment and I’m taking more and more unnecessary risks like this on my commute every day!

Yours?

RobHilton
    Free Member

Crossing the white line separating the cyclepath from the footpath.

Extreme!!!

jhw
    Free Member

Heh

or riding on…A FOOTPATH?

Come on, this is a post for shameless willy waving. More interested in tales of stupidity (in my case)/cojones (in your case) than technical skill

hilldodger
    Free Member

I regularly ride without performing a risk assessment
    I use disc brakes and Hope QR
    I have several items of Superstar produce on my bike

by stw :Facts: I reckon I’m lucky to be alive 😆

njee20
    Free Member

I use aluminium rotor bolts with lightweight rotors and titanium QR skewers; like Hilldodger, I consider myself lucky to be alive.

Personally I say the biggest risk I take is riding it. Unlikely to fall off if you never ride it.

Stoner
    Free Member

29er wheels.
    nuff said. Dicing with explosive death, everyday.
    Boom!

RobHilton
    Free Member

Yeah ok I like riding on footpaths.
    Once though I was so drunk I couldn’t control the bike and kept wandering into the road so I pushed/stumbled home instead.

Maybe if I’d tried riding on the road I’d have stuck perfectly to the footpath? Or died?

Realised that night why drink driving is illegal.
    And drink cycling 😳

Junkyard
    Free Member

large lakeland descent with no front brake – once started there was no stopping and only limited amount of slowing down – thanks god the walkers scattered as i screamed i cant stop at them [ it was a bridleway]

ourmaninthenorth

Last one was getting leathered with friends in the Deaf Institute in Manchester, then hopping on my fixie and riding home through Rusholme/Curry Mile.

To this day I don’t know how I made it home alive….

sugdenr
    Free Member

In my foolish youth I once escapted the attention of the rossers on my bike – riding without lights I was. Just didnt want to do the time.

Once rode with mate, so drunk that I looked back to see him gently arc across the road right into the front of a mk1 Golf (funny how you rememeber the most banal detail when drunk), ended up sprawled right across the front 😀 then in hospital for 3 days 🙄

bencooper
    Free Member

Cycling home late from the pub, I was doing pretty well I thought – had my lights on, wasn’t wobbling too much, was the correct distance from the kerb.

It was only the rapidly approaching headlights that alerted me to the fact that I was on the wrong side of a dual carriageway…

jhw
    Free Member

recurring theme here

richmtb

Snapped a handlebar in a crash at Mabie Forest.

Rode back down a short section of single track followed by the fireroad back to the car park with half a handlebar at speeds that probably weren’t very sensible considering the very pointy bits of carbon fibre protruding from the broken end of the handlebar

allthegear
    Free Member

I bought a Brompton – that’s fairly risky to my reputation…

I think I can carry it off now that the frame has been wrapped in Christmas tree led lights for the winter commutes.

Rachel

lunge

I did the step down at Stile Cop on a hardtail having never attmepted anything even slighty similar. Which is not that interesting but I did at at 8pm in the fading light when there was no one around. And I had left my phone in the car. And I had told no one where I was riding.

Not my smartest move looking back…

geordiemick00
    Free Member

spending £15K in a year behind the wife’s back. She thinks each bike cost about £400 😆

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I sometimes let tirider (of this parish) show me around his local stuff 😈

justatheory
    Free Member

Tried a tail whip once and landed sideways, I had an audience as well. Physical recovery 2 weeks, mental recovery 2 months.

Pieface

Went riding without a helmet or mobile phone

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

riding to work in london, lethal every day and I could get the train… way too many little things to mention could kill/hurt me every day.

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Riding home from the pub one night (I wasn’t wobbly at all but my ‘concentration’ was affected) I unnecessarily and momentarily glanced across at a pretty girl walking on the other side of the road.

As punishment for my infidelity, the bend I was fast approaching reared up in anger and threw its kerb at my front wheel.

Cue sprawling mess, torn (new) jacket, torn jeans, torn gloves and a pile of twisted, bloodied metal and flesh. Not too mentioned a badly bruised ego.

That’ll learn me.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

riding to work in london, lethal every day and I could get the train… way too many little things to mention could kill/hurt me every day.

Same as this, except spent 4 years doing the same in Manchester. Glad I no longer have to do so, battling with taxi drivers, mad school run mothers and the 42 bus wasn’t pleasant.

Had plenty of near misses.

Kevevs
    Free Member

I read a magazine once and it said people should have special “winter bikes”. I’m riding my best expensive bike as a commuter, in the Winter OMG! I know it’s a stupid risk and it will probably dissolve at any moment.

rocketman
    Free Member

Played chicken with a large group of remedials/teenagers who were on a nature ramble with their guards/teachers.

Despite frequent alerts from the adults in charge the group refused to move over an inch they were right across a 15-foot wide fireroad. Yours truly was well and truly fired up having just destroyed my local loop at warp speed and I had gravity on my side.

Aimed for the left-hand side of the group, gripped the bars and went for it. At literally the last moment one of them moved aside but it was too late my handlebar caught in the strap of his rucksack and we went down, skittling some of the others in the process.

I’ve never fallen off my bike so quickly it was carnage.

justatheory
    Free Member

I’ve ridden a bike assembled by Halfords.

jhw
    Free Member

Riding home from the pub one night (I wasn’t wobbly at all but my ‘concentration’ was affected) I unnecessarily and momentarily glanced across at a pretty girl walking on the other side of the road.

But it can work both ways, man – the only time I’ve ever pulled a 360 was when a pretty girl I knew from school (this was way back) was walking right by. Off a natural feature too. OK it was more like a…300…but still.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I chased down a lead group near Sienna on the white gravel roads after it rained during a race a few years back. It’s one of the only times I’ve almost sh*t myself, there were 50 or so hairy ar*ed italian roadies up my chuff just waitng for me to bounce down the road on my rather sexy bottom.. just like hair bating it was..
    All good in the cafe afterwards but I did need a few snifters to calm me down.

Roblilly
    Free Member

I’m taking too many chances on my commute at the moment, going down the middle of 2 way traffic etc..

In my defence I lost my job a couple of months ago and am working my notice…each day is so painful that I can’t wait to get home.

Finish at Christmas if I last that long!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

hilldodger – Member

I regularly ride without performing a risk assessment
    I use disc brakes and Hope QR
    I have several items of Superstar produce on my bike

by stw :Facts: I reckon I’m lucky to be alive

ah – but I bet you had your helmet on and the other STW :fact: is that your helmet will protect you from certain death 🙂

justatheory
    Free Member

Same as this, except spent 4 years doing the same in Manchester. Glad I no longer have to do so, battling with taxi drivers, mad school run mothers and the 42 bus wasn’t pleasant.

That’d be Oxford Rd/Wilmslow Rd then. Those 42’s travel in packs as well.

stevepitch
    Free Member

I joined this sodding forum…… 😐

PMK2060

leaving it unlocked next to a group of teen hoodies while i went into the shop

seosamh77
    Free Member

River crossing in full spate up at lochan fada. I’m sure it’s fine on drier days, but in late august after weeks of heavy rain, i was a little concerned when i was almost up to my waste and could barely hold on to the bike mid way through. It was a long rocky way down from 400m in the river if i slipped.

thegman67

Coming round to the road gap jump at Forest Ae their was about 15 downhillers all watching so after clearing it the first time i decided to jazz it up a bit i landed on the fire road snapping my Achilles Tendon and was sick in my helmet because i couldnt get it off in time

pickle
    Free Member

both brakes went on the first decent on the north downes…….just thought ‘bugger this, i’ve come all the way here so i’m going to ride!’ and did just that, wore through the whole sole of my shoe by the end of the day 🙂

16stonepig
    Free Member

Asked a girl out once. That was risky.

rossi46
    Free Member

I’ve ridden a bike assembled by Halfords.

I WORKED for Halfords 😯 Quite an unnecessary risk- i could’ve just got a nice shelf stacking job next door in Sainsburys….

Come to think of it, i used to commute there everyday on my Santa Cruz past several Pikey caravan sites 😯 😯

rossi46
    Free Member

leaving it unlocked next to a group of teen hoodies while i went into the shop

Sounds like Thamesmead 😆

willard

Riding back from town ages ago holding a 12″ pizza in one hand and trying to jump off a curb. Just managed to land it safely, but if I’d messed it up, I’d have dropped the pizza and probably broken myself.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Five Strathpuffers.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Unnecessary risks you've taken on a bike?’ is closed to new replies.