• This topic has 26 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Solo.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Unity
  • molgrips
    Free Member

People all over the place talking about being the ‘unity’ candidate.

Society has in some ways blown up in our faces, seems unlikely that anything like unity will be achievable without some radical reforms. Not sure what though.

Bring them on though, I say – this country’s in need of a shake-up.

perchypanther
    Free Member

‘s autocorrect gone mad.

They really meant “unfit”

ahwiles
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

this country’s in need of a shake-up.

agreed.

This isn’t a shake-up though; we’ll have a good old-fashioned nasty tory on one side of the house, and a cat-herding exhibition on the other.

same old same old.

actual change? no chance.

footflaps

I say – this country’s in need of a shake-up.

Whereas it will just get an even more right wing Tory PM, with more Austerity heaped on the poor and more tax cuts for the rich…

Once we’re out of the EU, we can just become a fully fledged tax haven with none of this pretending not to be stuff….

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

PP more comedy genius. Give up your day job 😉

perchypanther
    Free Member

This isn’t a shake-up though,

Nope. It’s a f***-up.
    Autocorrect gone mad , I tells thee.

Stoner
    Free Member

this country’s in need of a shake-up.

and you dont think that’s what we are getting right now? 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

No, I do.. or at least it is potentially – that’s why I said bring it on.

footflaps

We’re just swapping a left wing Tory PM for a right wing Tory PM. I don’t really call that a shake up….

perchypanther
    Free Member

Give up your day job

What do you take me for …..a shadow cabinet minister?

Stoner
    Free Member

We’re just swapping a left wing Tory PM for a right wing Tory PM. I don’t really call that a shake up….

well if you’re looking at things through a letter box it might look like that…

there’s going to be political disruption for the next 12 months at least, the change in Tory leadership is just one part of it.

footflaps

there’s going to be political disruption for the next 12 months at least

You think?

In 12 months, the Tory transition will be have been fairly straightforward, Labour will still be in civil war and no one will know the Libdems even exist…

Article 50 will be the interesting bit, if anyone has the guts / madness to invoke it. My bet is they haven’t done that in 12 months time.

molgrips
    Free Member

If the Tories invoke A50, most of the business community will be against them – and we’re likely to lose business and have a recession.

If they commit to not invoking it, there’ll be ructions as the right and far right kick off.

If it’s not invoked before the GE then someone could be campaigning on a non-invoking promise – and if they win, that would mean bre-entry and ructions.

If Labour win a GE with Corbyn, that’ll result in a big shift to the left for the country’s government.

If Labour are smashed in a GE, it’ll be split, and we’ll lose the two party system we’ve had since the war.

footflaps

If the Tories invoke A50, most of the business community will be against them – and we’re likely to lose business and have a recession.

If they commit to not invoking it, there’ll be ructions as the right and far right kick off

Or they just delay indefinitely whilst having discussions about the options – probably the most sensible solution as it delays the career ending pain which making a decision would bring about.

If it’s not invoked before the GE then someone could be campaigning on a non-invoking promise – and if they win, that would mean bre-entry and ructions.

That’s the Lid Dems stance already, but they’re too small to matter….

If Labour win a GE with Corbyn, that’ll result in a big shift to the left for the country’s government.

If Labour are smashed in a GE, it’ll be split, and we’ll lose the two party system we’ve had since the war.

The end results is the same, they won’t win a GE with or without Corbyn (saying that even as a member of Labour).

Lots of excitement and gossip for a while, but I don’t see the end result changing much.

kimbers

Oh sweet baby jesus and the orphans

Im getting quite scared that somehow, when all of this lord of the flies shit dies down we are going to end up with the pustulous carbuncle of british politics being our PM

footflaps

with the pustulous carbuncle of british politics being our PM

he can’t even get elected as an MP…

Junkyard
    Free Member

started of an interesting tangent reverted to discussing the EU AGAIN
    What stoner said
    Parties are divided, the people are divided and there will be political turmoil

CountZero

and no one will know the Libdems even exist…

Who?

molgrips
    Free Member

So is there historical precedent for this level of disruption to politics and society? I think Thatch was pretty controversial at the time no?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Don’t you think we’ve had enough of a “shake up” for a while? Although I do realise that it must be difficult for you, what with your dreams of a 21st century Leveller Rebellion rapidly fading away and all that.

Solo
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    So is there historical precedent for this level of disruption to politics and society? I think Thatch was pretty controversial at the time no?

Thatcher was an economic reformer.

Cameron tried to be (you judge) a social reformer.

David Cameron may have declared he loves his country. Obviously he couldn’t have been referring to the UK.
    DC has betrayed the UK to his own beliefs. He was elected for reasons/pledges which included holding a referendum. Now he has a result he doesn’t like, he refuses to do his job. Too worried about his image/place in history.

Disruption? Very much and a lot of it, consequently by design. DC avoiding his duty in the hope of reversing the outcome of a referendum, via a back door.

However, the world is watching and to anyone with even a modest awareness of this, knows the UK gov must respect the result of such a vote.

scaredypants

perchypanther – Member
    ‘s autocorrect sweary filter gone mad.
    They really meant ” unfit”

slowoldman

However, the world is watching and to anyone with even a modest awareness of this, knows the UK gov must respect the result of such a vote.

I can see the headlines:
    “Tory government in “Doing what the people want Shocker””.

scaredypants

DC has betrayed the UK to his own beliefs. He was elected for reasons/pledges which included holding a referendum. Now he has a result he doesn’t like, he refuses to do his job. Too worried about his image/place in history

He’s an arse, and no mistake but this seems fair enough to me – if the brexiteers want to campaing for it, they should have the bottle to take resposibility for it and go down as “the one who invoked the exit process”

Shame he didn’t work this out and say before the referendum that this was what he’d do. Seems nobody’s got the stomach for it

<crosses fingers>

Stoner
    Free Member

The writers’ room for British politics is full of cocaine and competitive men shouting, “Think that’s a twist? This is a ******* twist.”

I lol’d.

miketually
    Free Member

Since losing Scotland to the SNP, Labour are unable to win a majority in the House of Commons. This has freed up the various factions within the two main parties and removed their need to pretend they’re united in order to win a FPTP election. Labour split in two, as do the Tories. A coalition government after the next election brings in PR.

Maybe.

Solo
    Free Member

Yeap, it’s a significant disturbance in comparison to recent decades of all parties gravitating towards the centre.

It’s times/events such as we are witnessing now, when extreme outcomes become increasingly likely.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Unity’ is closed to new replies.