Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Unclipping mid air with SPDs?
  • balfa
    Free Member

Having ridden flats for years I've moved over to Spds. Only problem I've found is that on larger jumps or faster jumps I have a tendency to unclip on my forward foot mid air/on take off! This makes for some scary experiences!

Does anyone else have or had this problem? It is maybe that I'm just being a bit clumsy. Seems like the pedals are releasing vertically but hard to tell.

I'm using Time Z Freeride Pedals so there is plenty of float and not the easiest pedals to come out of. I would be scared to use any pedal that is more difficult to release.

BigJohn

Are the cleats worn? I occasionally get that happening on those pedals with older cleats. It's because you can push the spring forwards which allows the rear of the cleat to rise clear of its retaining wire. Check there is plenty of meat on the back of the cleat.

I've been using them for over 10 years, and don't have this problem normally.

acorlett

It's happened to me occasionally, but only if I'm pulling up accidentally…

coogan
    Free Member

Go back to flats.

wwaswas

Given that all the 'air' I get is descending a curb, unclipping mid-flight has not proven to be an issue.

It does sound like you must be twisting your foot a lot (to move the bike around?) as you can't pull up and out of time pedals.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Yeah, same here, worn cleats usually.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I used to have that problem with times, then i switched to flats.

balfa
    Free Member

The cleats are fairly new so I doubt that would be the problem. Will have a look when I get home. Strange thing is that it doesn't happen when whipping the tail out on smaller jumps when I imagine my foot is probably twisting.

cookeaa

I’ve experienced it on my Shimano SPDs, I think it’s because I have them a touch loose and maybe I’m trying a bit much to flick/move the bike sideways in the air causing some twist on the pedal, the issue tends to occur when I’m “over-thinking” or a bit tensed up hitting an obstacle, so maybe that’s a factor too, I know riding clipped in can play head games at first…

You probably didn’t notice it at the time, but I bet when you rode flats you had the odd occasion where your foot came 10-15mm off a pedal mid air and then re-connected on the way down, it happens, but it’s a bit more noticeable and thus disconcerting on SPDs even with cages…

coffeeking
    Free Member

Yes, I used to get it and still do at times, caused by (as far as I can tell)

When I jump I tend to turn my knees inward to stabilise the frame, this tends to unclip by turning the heel out.
    Worn cleats – I struggled for years wondering why I kept clipping out. Then I realised my cleats had been worn for years, new cleats fixed it (seriously, it was such a stupidly obvious thing you'd never believe I was an engineer by trade!).

GaryLake
    Free Member

Multi-release cleats?

glenp
    Free Member

You could be unconsciously trying to add some pull because you know you are clipped? Suggest a quick session going over an easy jump repeatedly and building up, being conscious of what you're doing, esp with feet. Drop your heels as you pump into the jump and don't try and make "extra" out of the flight.

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

increase the spring tension??

Lifer
    Free Member

I love how partisan people are in the spds-flats debate, is it because you lose out on the EU subsidies if someone switches from one to the other?

SammySammSamm
    Free Member

I love how partisan people are in the spds-flats debate, is it because you lose out on the EU subsidies if someone switches from one to the other?

😆

nicko74

Ugh – my worst shunt was as a result of coming unclipped in mid-air. I did a biggish (for me – so about 3') jump, and my foot came unclipped. Somehow, it swung round and got caught in the front wheel*; when I landed pain ensued. I had whiplash for a few days…

My theory was just that I ran the clips too loose, so I've just been more careful since then, as I don't really want to tighten them up too much

*Not sure quite how this happened…

spooky_b329

If you look at the cleats, the one on the left should be marked G and L (for left), though I think the older cleats had a couple of stars. Swap the cleats over and you will increase the angle needed to release.

Shouldn't be harder, just need to twist the foot more to release.

I've just compared my two pairs of shoes with the gf's two pairs, and I'm shocked to find the cleats on my winter boots are so worn they are almost unrecognisable, and one of my gf's cleats has rotated, which will explain her aching knee after the last ride!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Unclipping mid air with SPDs?’ is closed to new replies.