Home Forums Bike Forum Ultegra R8020 shifter cable nipple slipped out of slot

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Ultegra R8020 shifter cable nipple slipped out of slot
  • charliemort

and I can’t work out how to retrieve. Cable is jammed inside the shifter and I can’t get access to pull it out.

Any ingenious ideas?

thanks

wheelsonfire1

The shifter cable nipples that I’ve retrieved in the past had usually snapped off from wear. Make sure that you’ve removed all the access ports that you can, making sure that you keep track of the very tiny screws. If you’ve got a work stand then put the bike in that so you can view from all angles and use a bright torch. I use picks that are available from Machinemart or Screwfix and hours of patience! Park picks are better as they don’t bend but knitting needles, the metal backing strips from old style windscreen wipers can be modified to work. Then, it is as I said earlier, loads of patience, work from all angles move the operating levers but try not to get as far as a click or that can further jam the cable. Oh yes, release the cable at the mech end to release tension. Good luck!

zilog6128

Yeah I had this recently with a GRX shifter. Nothing had snapped, it had just slipped, very odd. Put it back in and it’s been fine since.

as above, release tension at mech, removed panel at front side of shifter for access (managed to find YouTube vid to help with this!) then I also used a hooked pick to dig it out until I could grab hold with needle nosed pliers

ampthill

I was told to sharpen and bend a spoke to use as tool. This eventually worked

charliemort

kin the end i drilled a slightly bigger opening in the plastic housing so i could push it through…..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.