• This topic has 39 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by grum.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • UK's second city: Hebden Bridge
  • Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member
    grum
    Free Member

No thanks!

timc
    Free Member

Its ‘reportedly’ got the drug, drink & homeless issues to match London so why not, Also a lesbian hot spot apparently? 😈

jamiea
    Free Member

I see all the love for Hebden Bridge and don’t get it- but I’ve only ever been on the outskirts, it seemed a pretty shitty place to me 😉

Cheers,
    Jamie

burgatedicky

“It was once declared the “fourth funkiest town in the world” (whatever that means) and is often said to be the lesbian capital of the UK. “

In depth journalism from the Beeb this morning, I’ll see Hebden in a different light now!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I though it was due to having the 2nd highest Grauniad readership after Islington and an overbearing sense of self importance.

AlexSimon

His point is that Hebden Bridge is an inverted city with a greenbelt centre and suburbs called Manchester, Leeds and Liverpool.

Right – ok

tomhoward

lesbian capital of the UK

Based on the amount of short haired ladies wearing jeans and DMs at one of my Hebden based customers on a dress down day, I can well believe this. [/stereotyping]

footflaps

I though it was due to having the 2nd highest Grauniad readership after Islington and an overbearing sense of self importance.

I would have though the Grauniad was way too right wing for Hebden Bridge, they’ll all be reading Marxist today…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I saw a big pile in the Co-Op next to what tourniquet and best 99p cider.

binners

I thought that was the Peoples Republic of Chorlton? It might even have overtaken Islington since half the BBC moved from there last year

grum
    Free Member

Good to see all the haterz in full effect!

If you peasants were lucky enough to live here you’d be as smug as us. 😉

Harry_the_Spider

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

London is the second city.

clubber
    Free Member

Aside from the usual local-nonsense, it’s interesting to wonder why we don’t really have a second city to follow Zipf’s law. Anyone have any theories?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I see all the love for Hebden Bridge and don’t get it- but I’ve only ever been on the outskirts, it seemed a pretty shitty place to me

Thats like saying you went to Wakefield once and decided that as a result, Leeds is a sh*t hole.

grum
    Free Member

I see all the love for Hebden Bridge and don’t get it- but I’ve only ever been on the outskirts, it seemed a pretty shitty place to me

Just out of interest, where do you live?

binners

Its a terrible place. The ridings rubbish too. Nowt of any interest around there at all. 😀

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Its a terrible place. The ridings rubbish too

Think I’ll have to have to go back again tonight just to check that the riding’s still rubbish 😉

Bimbler
    Free Member

Apropos of not much but France doesn’t really have a second city either according to Zipf’s law.

AlexSimon

Bimbler – I was just thinking the same thing. Marsaille pop 851,420

In fact Zipf’s law is just rubbish – Spain’s Barcelona is about 85% the size of Madrid.

It’s probably down to something completely ridiculous and random like some 10th century’s queen’s favourite colour.

binners

Are there any plans to put a chairlift system in up to Heptonstall?

Dave
    Free Member

No. Having to ride up keeps the riff raff out ;o)

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I’d buy a season pass for that!

jamiea
    Free Member

Just out of interest,where do you live?

[/quote]A small market town, just north of Cambridge, why?

Cheers,
    Jamie

grum
    Free Member

I think they’re planning to build the funicular railway up to Old Town before the chairlift goes in.

A small market town, just north of Cambridge, why?
    Cheers,
    Jamie

Not going to tell me where then? Really good for mountain biking I imagine? Just interested to know what you’re comparing Hebden to to call it a ‘pretty shitty place’.

I really don’t get all the hate for it TBH – I guess it’s a reaction to the media hype. I can’t think of many places in the UK I’d rather live.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’ve been to Peterborough. Cambridgeshire is crap.

binners

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwtSdJaPCSI[/video]

I’d stay in Cambridge if I was you then. I’ve heard the riding is AWESOME around there! 😆

MrSmith
    Free Member

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

London is the second city.

New York/Tokyo/Rome/Madrid etc are all in different countries so its definitely 1st

edhornby

it’s interesting to wonder why we don’t really have a second city to follow Zipf’s law. Anyone have any theories?

it is a good question but zipfs law isn’t a great model, it’s based on distribution models of words within a language so the replication of the model seems tenuous to me

but the size of cities thing – I would bet that birmingham is due another growh as manchester won’t keep growing at the rate that it has and london will get denser but probably not geographically wider.

Is the answer that the glasgow/Edinburgh connurbation the real second city?

grum
    Free Member

I was sat out here yesterday, drinking some beers in the sunshine. Unfortunately the experience was spoiled somewhat by an overwhelming yearning to be in Cambridgeshire. Really took the sheen off it for me.

it’s interesting to wonder why we don’t really have a second city to follow Zipf’s law. Anyone have any theories?

As above – Zipf’s law is a load of bollocks?

binners

grum – now it appears that things are looking up weatherise, do you fancy hosting a Monday Night Pub Ride one week? To finish at the alehouse of your choosing. Not ridden Hebdon for a while, and thats a glaring oversight

jamiea
    Free Member

Really good for mountain biking I imagine? Just interested to know what you’re comparing Hebden to to call it a ‘pretty shitty place’.

I really don’t get all the hate for it TBH – I guess it’s a reaction to the media hype. I can’t think of many places in the UK I’d rather live. Sorry you’ve taken my pitty comments, coupled with a winking smiley, to heart Grum. Like i said, I’ve only seen the outskirts whilst waiting for a coachload of Scouts to finish a weekend hillwalking / navigating competition.

There’s bugger all decent riding round these parts, you’re right- so my riding has been limited to trips to the Peak, North Wales, Brecon Beacons, North Yorkshire, the Lakes, Shropshire, Europe… Thou since having a kid all my riding the last two years has been on the road bike 🙁 Hang on, I tell a lie, I towed our 16 month old daughter around Grafham Water in the snow and ice last Febuary 😀

Next time I’m planning a trip up that way I might just explore the town more. In fact we did think about watching the tour there as we’ll be coming home from a week in the lakes, but it looks like Masham will work better logistically.

Cheers,
    Jamie

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’d be up for that. Bear in mind its crap though.

I’m nipping down the valley for lunch and some shopping in Blazing Saddles on Saturday and riding there Sunday. Might change my mind now as someone who doesn’t know the area at all has said its rubbish…

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Jamie – if you’re ever in the area, I’ll offer to show you some of its rubbish sights on a bike 😉 🙂

wonderchump
    Free Member

I was bored to tears riding trails around Hebden yesterday. I wouldn’t bother 🙄

jamiea
    Free Member

Thanks Davey!

Cheers,
    Jamie

grum
    Free Member

grum – now it appears that things are looking up weatherise, do you fancy hosting a Monday Night Pub Ride one week? To finish at the alehouse of your choosing. Not ridden Hebdon for a while, and thats a glaring oversight

Yeah definitely – though DBW almost certainly knows the trails better than me. At least if I was hosting then I’d have to turn up though.

Sorry you’ve taken my pitty comments, coupled with a winking smiley, to heart Grum. Like i said, I’ve only seen the outskirts whilst waiting for a coachload of Scouts to finish a weekend hillwalking / navigating competition.

Hadn’t noticed the wink – apologies. It is weird though – peoples’ opinions on the place seem very polarised. Give us a shout if you fancy a proper look round.

Some more pics of the shittiness here:

https://www.facebook.com/grummm/media_set?set=a.10152113776166474.1073741829.603351473&type=3

🙂

jamiea
    Free Member

Wow, some brilliant shots there Grum. It all looks a bit, well northern tho 😉 😆 !

Cheers,
    Jamie

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

You live there grum so you’re the (more) local knowledge 😉

grum
    Free Member

Thanks Jamie. Don’t worry though – it’s full of southerners!

wl is probably the best bet for local knowledge but I think I know most of the good bits within a few hundred yards of my house. 🙂

Let’s do it!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘UK's second city: Hebden Bridge’ is closed to new replies.