Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • UK Hammerhead Thumper Builds (130mm travel All mountain frame)
  • maddogmoggy
    Free Member

Hi All,

I’ve joined the forum because I’ve just completed building a full susser using a Hammerhead Thumper frame and I wanted to find out what other builders had done with theirs: the components they’ve used, what type of riding they do and where, and are there any tips for setting them up or components that work particularly well with the frame.

I’m aware that Thumpers are likely to be pretty rare in the UK: I know a few people have imported them directly from the US and others, like me, have bought them from Blue Flow Bikes who are based in England and are selling them at the bargain price of £639 (Original US price was something like $1,200).

This is the first time I’ve owned a full susser – I’ve been riding a 29er Hardtail for the last two years. The rest of the mountain bike club I ride with all use full suspension bikes, and after a visit to trail centre in Wales where I realised that the sore throat I was suffering from was due to the saddle repositioning my testicles, I thought it was time for an upgrade.

So far, one ride in, I’ve been really impressed with the bike. I know I lack experience riding a full susser as this is the first one I’ve owned, but I feel that it’s already given me more confidence in the downhills (where I have been going faster, braking later, and flowing more smoothly) and more competence in the climbs (where everything seems smoother, grippier and more assured).

The real test will be this weekend, when I do the Dorset Dirt, a 50k/30m off-road ride. So far I’ve just done a simple suspension set-up for sag (about 30% front and rear) and that’s it. The frame (and forks) just seem to work out of the box. However, I’d be interested to see what I can really get out of this bike. Although there’s loads of general advice, and specific advice on the web about the more popular ‘LBS’ brands, I wanted to know if there were any top tips from Thumper riders out there?

So, if you’re still with me and haven’t nodded off, and you have a Hammerhead Thumper, I’d be interested to find out:

What components have you used with the frame?
    How well do they work with the frame?
    What type of riding do you do, and where do you do it?
    Do you have any set-up tips for the suspension?
    Do you have any tips for riding the bike (other than feet on pedals, bum on seat, hands on bars)?
    Anything else that I may find useful?

Just for info, I bought new forks to go with the frame (my old ones only had 100mm travel) and the rest of the kit I transferred over from the hardtail (with the odd new adapter, clamp etc) so my build is as follows:

Hammerhead Thumper frame, 130mm rear travel and Fox Float CTD Kashima coated shock
    Rockshox Revelation RTC3 Dual Position, Single air 140mm Forks
    Superstar Switch Hubs and BOR rims
    Shimano SLX Brake Levers and Callipers
    180mm Rotors
    Superstar Components Brake Adapters
    Shimano SLX Shadow Plus Rear Mech
    Shimano SLX Crank
    Hope Retainer Chain Ring (30T)
    Shimano SLX 10 Speed Cassette with
    One Up 42T and 16T sprockets (no Shimano 15T & 17T)
    Nukeproof Headset with Hope Head Doctor
    Superstar Components 50mm Stem
    Bontreger Saddle
    Bontreger Handlebars
    Superstar Components Lock-on Grips
    Gravity Dropper Post
    Mucky Nutz Mudguards
    Ay-Up Lights

jedi

never heard of them

Drac

Another very odd Hammerhead post.

v666ern
    Free Member

where I realised that the sore throat I was suffering from was due to the saddle repositioning my testicles, I thought it was time for an upgrade

And is your throat better now?

CheesybeanZ

Have you now got 4 tonsils ?

z1ppy

Previous thread about em… was “closed” without explaination by the powers that be. I suspect it was seen as bit of a pure marketing piece?

Still an interesting looking frame at a good price

spawnofyorkshire

Can understand the last thread being closed as it did smack of a bit of viral marketing to niche loving bike nerds

That first post by the OP is a little weird though, almost sounds like they imported a fairly rare bike, built it up with a decent spec and then it’ll end up on ebay in a month with the forks the wrong way round

I do hope that i’m wrong and I’d be quite keen to see some pics of your bike OP as it’s a good looking frame

Drac

I suspect it was seen as bit of a pure marketing piece?

Well given the guy who started that thread is the importer we slipped up and should have deleted it.

I’m very sceptic of this one too, who joins a forum promoting the importer and stating prices?

PJM1974
    Free Member

They look an awful lot like an El Guapo to me. The frame looks good, but I can’t say I’m hugely taken with the marketing.

HansRey

”I realised that the sore throat I was suffering from was due to the saddle repositioning my testicles”

This is a load of shuttlecocks, right?

AlexSimon

[conspiracy theory]Yep – on the basis of the interest in the first thread, the guy buys a few frames to sell. Then the thread gets closed and he’s stuck with them. Now tries again.
    [/conspiracy theory]

To be honest, they look like a reasonable buy for someone on a budget.

It’s a shame about the Thumper graphic and even the new Switchback Bikes one is poor.
    So much so that I think the guy importing them to the uk has had one resprayed to look like a Transition!!!

cookeaa

The rambling BS style of This thread’s OP and the previous, closed one are rather similar, clearly the same chancer with two different user profiles…

Mods?

Drac

The rambling BS style of This thread’s OP and the previous, closed one are rather similar, clearly the same chancer with two different user profiles…

Mods?

Don’t worry we picked up on this last night. Same as we did when the importer got his Athens team mate to promote a thread, then a random poster came along too.

Could be a genuine post but it smells of artificial grass in here.

cookeaa

Let it run then and we can abuse him…

spawnofyorkshire

Too soon?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I don’t get it, they actualy refer to it as “FSR” suspension, the design may no longer (or ever have) been patened, but I’d be dam sure spesh have the copyright/trademark on the phrase “FSR”!

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve had a bit of contact with Stuart the importer, as I also got one sent from the States.

I don’t think he’ll mind me saying that he’s gently suggested sharing the love for the bike online, and it looks like the OP’s taken that idea and run with it TBH.

Personally I don’t like to give chapter and verse on my bikes on open forums – but it is an awesome frame at a real bargain price and I’d definitely recommend one if you’re considering a trail/AM 29er.

Drop me a line by email if you want more detail.

Northwind

After the last post I was really curious about their comment of having permission from Kona to use the front triangle with a different back end. So I emailed Kona, they said they’d never heard of them and would never give permission for anyone else to use their designs…

maddogmoggy
    Free Member

Wow!

Not the response I was expecting – I thought a couple of people would look at this and ignore it (as it wouldn’t be relevant to them) and hopefully a few other owners would come to light.

Firstly, can I say that I am in no way affiliated with any manufacturer or importer. I’m just a guy in his forties who got properly into mountain biking a couple of years ago, joined a club, and as I got better and more confident I ‘outgrew’ my bike. I didn’t have the finances to go out and buy a new one, but I did have plenty of parts that I had upgraded with, replacing brakes, wheels etc on my Trek as I could afford to. (and no conspiracy theorists, I don’t work for Trek either, although it was an excellent bike to get started with).

So, as in my original post, I’m new to owning a full susser. The guy’s I ride with are fantastic at giving me advice and tips, especially as some of them have been riding for as long as mountain biking has been going in the UK). Riding with them has made me a better, faster, and more efficient rider. However I wanted to make sure that I was getting the most out of my bike, and thought that there may be other riders on here with similar machines that could help: I’m just aware that this isn’t a popular brand, and I took a bit of a risk buying one, but it was a better option that buying a cheap bike from Tesco or Lidl (don’t work for either of them either) or a more expensive one from a major brand.

Perhaps I’m in the wrong place: maybe I should have set-up a facebook page or something (another new venture for me as we’ve been trying to get more members for our club through this): I hadn’t realised how unwelcoming these forums would be to a new member. Definitely not the same reaction to the kit car forum I’m a member of!

I can only apologise for mentioning the importer and the price if it’s breaking forum rules: I felt it was a good deal, and it’s a shame if in this day and age that you can’t be positive about a product or service you’ve received without being accused of taking a back hander or of being the person/company being praised. Surely it makes a change from moaning about companies and services? If a moderator wants to remove that from the original post (or edit it in any other way) then feel free.

I’d still welcome any feedback/advice/tips from other Thumper riders – that was the point of the post after all. I expected everyone else just to ignore it. If there’s already a thread, or a better forum, then I’d happily move my enquiries there.

Funny, out on the trails, mountain bikers seem such a friendly bunch! If I see you whilst out on the trails in Dorset I’ll be sure to say ‘Hi’ (assuming I haven’t sold the bike on ebay or crashed it because the forks are the wrong way round!)

Tim

AlexSimon

Northwind – Member

After the last post I was really curious about their comment of having permission from Kona to use the front triangle with a different back end. So I emailed Kona, they said they’d never heard of them and wouldn’t give permission for anyone else to use their designs.
    Wasn’t that agreement with Caribou – the taiwanese factory?

nickthegreek
    Free Member

I bought one from Stuart a few weeks ago. My previous was an Orange st4 and this runs as good as if not better. It feels as capable as my old spec enduro.

When I bought it I had the choice of this or a Nukeproof Mega. This seemed a bit different so I got it.

AlexSimon

maddogmoggy – if you read the previous thread, you’ll see why we’re a bit sceptical.
    Nothing at all to do with being unfriendly.

At least you’ve found someone else with the frame with an open invitation to email him!

Drac

I can only apologise for mentioning the importer and the price if it’s breaking forum rules: I felt it was a good deal, and it’s a shame if in this day and age that you can’t be positive about a product or service you’ve received without being accused of taking a back hander or of being the person/company being praised. Surely it makes a change from moaning about companies and services? If a moderator wants to remove that from the original post (or edit it in any other way) then feel free.

I’d still welcome any feedback/advice/tips from other Thumper riders – that was the point of the post after all. I expected everyone else just to ignore it. If there’s already a thread, or a better forum, then I’d happily move my enquiries there.

You joined the forum with a very odd first post, it came across as an astroturfing because you mention the importer and the price in detail that is very unusual behaviour. This and the history of the UK importers previous posts and asking his friends to make ‘genuine’ enquires raised our suspicions as well as a few members.

If you’d simple come on and posted that you’d just bought your first full sus bike and the model with your setup then we’d not have been so suspicious.

STATO
    Free Member

This and the history of the UK importers previous posts

Not to dig up old turf, but wasnt the original thread (by the now UKimporter) to tell everyone about how good a deal it was TO BUY DIRECT FROM THE US..? And then he started selling them himself? That was how the thread seemed to pan out to me.

I assume your thinking he was lying and had already struck the deal to be the UKimporter, but if so why would his first few posts have promoted user to buy direct from the US (which quite a few STWers did!)

For clarity, i do not have a Thumper.

Drac

All was not as it appeared let’s put it that way.

thv3
    Free Member

I’ve had a bit of contact with Stuart the importer, as I also got one sent from the States.

I don’t think he’ll mind me saying that he’s gently suggested sharing the love for the bike online, and it looks like the OP’s taken that idea and run with it TBH.

Personally I don’t like to give chapter and verse on my bikes on open forums – but it is an awesome frame at a real bargain price and I’d definitely recommend one if you’re considering a trail/AM 29er.

Drop me a line by email if you want more detail.

I would echo the above, I bought one direct from the states and have been riding it for about a month. Seems a great frame for it’s intended purpose at a very good price.

I had considered the El Guapo but ruled it out due to tire clearance, and opted for the 4 bar rear rather than the single pivot Codeine which was the other option.

So far, so good. Will upload a pic when I get round to it.

maddogmoggy
    Free Member

Good to see some actual Thumper* owners on here.

To get the ball rolling I’ll post first tip.

Make sure you check the size of any Water* Bottles that you buy: having bought a couple of 750ml aluminium* bottles from Halfords* for £1* each, I then discovered that they were a tight fit by the controls of the rear shock on the Thumper* frame. Perhaps obvious to other owners, but being the first full susser that I’ve owned it caught me out.

*For the conspiracy theorists and flamers out there, I feel that I should point out that I don’t work for, or have any association with Walt Disney, Wessex Water, Alco, Halfords, The Pound Shop, or any buyers, suppliers or importers of any bicycles.

jamj1974

*For the conspiracy theorists and flamers out there, I feel that I should point out that I don’t work for, or have any association with Walt Disney, Wessex Water, Alco, Halfords, The Pound Shop, or any buyers, suppliers or importers of any bicycles.

I wouldn’t worry too much – I think honestly there was just a but if cynicism because of the last thread. From an everyday user of STW welcome to the madhouse and I hope you get some good use from the forum. There are many, many good people on here and a few who aren’t so (None above I must point out!).

I hope you keep enjoying the new bike – I think they look pretty sorted in terms of geometry etc – so think it will only get better still!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Had a shot of a mates once, down some of mine woods in Stirling. Was a bit of a rocket, really liked it.

Northwind

AlexSimon – Member

Wasn’t that agreement with Caribou – the taiwanese factory?

Still IP theft either way tbh.

maddogmoggy
    Free Member

Thought I’d post another nugget of information after completing the Dorset Dirt today.

When I bought the frame I also needed new forks – most of my bits would transfer over but my existing forks only had 100mm of travel and I needed 130 or 140 ideally.

After considering several options, but not knowing an awful lot about them I spoke to my usual co-riders and ‘he who cannot be named’ (the importer of the frame). He recommended some ‘cheap’ Rockshox Revelation RTC shock with dual position that I found on On One for £349 (I know I’m not supposed to mention companies or prices for fear of being accused of being the MD of the company, but they also had some other bargains that other readers may be interested in).

Anyway, the dual position means you flick a lever and the fork drops 30mm in travel, from 140 to 110, thus lowering the front end. I’d not seen this before but it worked fantastically on the Dorset Dirt today on the steep climbs: it changed the geometry and balance of the bike so it felt much more stable and planted when going up.

So, if thinking about a fork upgrade in the near future, it may be something to consider for all MTB riders.

brant
    Free Member

Good to see some actual Thumper* owners on here.

To get the ball rolling I’ll post first tip.

Make sure you check the size of any Water* Bottles that you buy: having bought a couple of 750ml aluminium* bottles from Halfords* for £1* each, I then discovered that they were a tight fit by the controls of the rear shock on the Thumper* frame. Perhaps obvious to other owners, but being the first full susser that I’ve owned it caught me out.

this might work. Or a dremel.

blueandwhiteblade
    Free Member

Hi. It’s Stuart here, the UK distributor – I’m hoping I can get something posted on here without it being removed……….

I was definitely naive about previous posts I made which were rightly removed but I never intended to break forum rules. I emailed the moderators direct to apologise and explain my side of things which were not exactly as has been portrayed above. I also posted an apology on the previous thread but this was removed by moderators. I haven’t posted anything on here since and I think it has become clear the OP of this thread is not me or acting on my behalf.

The blue Transition labelled frame pictured above is a 26er – It’s obviously not a Thumper being marketed as a Transition. There is a good story behind it but one better told in the pub than on here.

I’m more than happy to answer any questions if anyone is interested in facts or ironing out conspiracies but please message me direct rather than through singletrack threads…… I don’t want to push my luck.

chakaping
    Free Member

Still IP theft either way tbh.

My reading of the situation was that the design originated from Caribou, so would they be stealing their own IP?

I might be wrong, but I’m not bandying any nasty accusations about so I don’t have to worry too much about it.

Drac

I also posted an apology on the previous thread but this was removed by moderators.

No it wasn’t.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/help-me-find-a-post-29er-frame-purchased-from-the-us#post-6185300

’m more than happy to answer any questions if anyone is interested in facts or ironing out conspiracies but please message me direct rather than through singletrack threads…… I don’t want to push my luck.

Answering genuine queries is fine, asking friends to start threads for you or starting them yourself to promote them is against the rules. We explained all this when you emailed us the other day and at the time you broke the rules.

blueandwhiteblade
    Free Member

Thanks for the unbiased view. Can we move on?

modig
    Free Member

I’ve got one (located in Sweden and bought directly from Switchback in US so no affiliation with the starter of this or “the other” thread). I must say I’m a bit worried about the accusations of IP theft here. Nothing I would want to support. At the same time it seems strange that Scott of Switchback would be so open about the origin of the frame if it was foul play…

Apart from that I’m really happy with the bike for general trail riding. I have a pretty “standard” build with 140 mm Rev RCT3, Hope hoops (Crest front, Tech XC rear), 1×9, Hope stoppers, Superstar stem and carbon bars, Reverb dropper (new since pic) and Chunky Monkey rubber.

Weight came in at 13.1 kg (before adding the dropper post). Frame only (size L) was 3.37 kg including shock and rear axle.

Cheers from Sweden
    /Johan

switchbackbikes
    Free Member

I’ve got one (located in Sweden and bought directly from Switchback in US so no affiliation with the starter of this or “the other” thread). I must say I’m a bit worried about the accusations of IP theft here. Nothing I would want to support. At the same time it seems strange that Scott of Switchback would be so open about the origin of the frame if it was foul play…

There has been no IP theft….just a lot of misinformation put out there by uninformed/uneducated people about the process of frame manufacturing.

How does Hammerhead/Switchback offer frames for sell that use the Horst-Link/FSR Patent and look like a Kona Satori?

Part 1 – The FSR Patent expired in the Spring of 2013, so it’s now open to any manufacturer that would like to use it.
    The most recent Brand to jump on the bandwagon is Transition, all of their new 2015 bikes go from their linkage driven single-pivot design to the horst-link/FSR design.

Part 2 – The Kona connection…here is the reality of that connection…it’s 4 parts.

Part 2a – Kona – we are all familiar with the Brand.

Part 2b – Stefan Stark designs frames for Kona, the Satori included.
    http://www.mtb-news.de/news/2012/02/23/rahmendesign-aus-leidenschaft-fanes-konstrukteur-stefan-stark-im-ibc-interview/

Part 2c – Caribou Manufacturing http://www.caribou-bike.com/ manufacturers Kona’s bikes and uses Stefan Stark to design frames for their other clients as well as Caribou’s “off-the-shelf” frames
    http://www.caribou-bike.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=101:design-partner-sts-bike-design&catid=40:designer-intro&Itemid=311

Part 2d – Caribou and Kona agreed that Stefan could design a frame similar to the Kona Satori as an off-the-shelf frame for Caribou. The difference being that it had to have a different rear triangle and suspension platform.

Caribou was allowed to make a frame using the Satori Front triangle paired to an FSR/Horst-Link Rear Triangle. Caribou calls the frame the IBEX29
    http://www.caribou-bike.com/index.php?option=com_zoo&task=item&item_id=13&category_id=4&Itemid=271

Caribou also has a 27.5 version called the IBEX650 http://www.caribou-bike.com/index.php?option=com_zoo&task=item&item_id=67&category_id=4&Itemid=271

Us consumers these days are very savy and all of this information is out there and has been posted on Forums by consumers since we introduced the Hammerhead Thumper Jan 2013.

The points I make above is the accurate information on how everything links together as I am the one w/ the 3-year relationship in place w/ Caribou Manufacturing. I have gotten a front row seat to how it all worked getting the IBEX29 and IBEX650 to market for Bike Brands to source.

Hope all that helps clear things up.

Thanks, Scott

batfink
    Free Member

that dog is the best thing about this thread.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘UK Hammerhead Thumper Builds (130mm travel All mountain frame)’ is closed to new replies.