Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 622 total)
  • UBYK jumping through hoops
  • pc89
    Free Member

FYI, we’re hoping to have some new on Monday with regards to both the stores and web. It’s been a drawn out process with Christmas in the way but it looks like we’re moving forward.

Those who need any info or help, please get in touch – sales@peakbikes.co.uk

In the meantime, the Peak Bikes web store can be found here – peakbikes.store

singlespeedstu

Peter.
    Your link to the site isn’t working.

pc89
    Free Member
    martinhutch

That’s the noisiest site I’ve visited for a while. Scared the life out of me. Nice apart from that.

pc89
    Free Member

ha, sorry!

You think the videos need to stay or go? We were having this debate today in the office…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Loud shouty video on the website? That would be a no.

martinhutch

Nah, I don’t much like sites which play sound without asking first, and more importantly, with no apparent way to turn it off.

I take it you’re not retaining the highly-regarded UBYK brand then? 🙂

lucky7500

pc89, It might be worth someone checking the site over as I’ve immediately noticed a few errors just browsing.
    At the bottom of the main page under ‘recent posts’ the shop / business is described as Peal Bikes.
    At the top of the ‘full suspension bikes’ page of the online shop the brands available are listed as Mondraker/ Yeti/ Commencal/ Nukeproof. When you scroll down the brands available are Mondraker/ Yeti/ Commencal/ Santa Cruz.

johnpeakbikes
    Free Member

We are now in a position where we can shed some light on what has been happening. As you may be aware, Ubyk Limited ceased trading and entered into liquidation towards the end of 2018 following difficulties with trading.
    After long and hard negations with the liquidation company Peak Bikes is to occupy the stores that Ubyk Limited previously occupied as the new tenants. This isn’t just a rebrand or a change of company name. Peak Bikes has been around since 2009 and has no current or previous relationship with Ubyk Limited and there is no common directorship.
    We are planning on expanding and fine-tuning the bits that made Ubyk great and we are excited to see how we can drive this venture forward under the Peak Bikes Limited umbrella with our team.
    Additionally, Peak Bikes has purchased the Ubyk website and we are working to put our own stamp on that as we rebrand it; we hope to have that live very soon.
    If you would like to get in touch then we’ll be glad to hear from you with any questions or enquiries – sales@peakbikes.co.uk

andy4d

Well now the dust has settled i take back my much earlier cynical comment.
    I can imagine this has not been easy for peak bikes and i wish them all the best with their new adventure/ expansion.

singlespeedstu

Peter at Peakbikes has told me how he is going to honour the price that Ubyk charged me for the order they didn’t deliver.
    He’s asked Hope what happened to my order but hasn’t had a reply yet.
    I wonder why?
    I’m sure he will come through in the end though.
    After all he has told me he will honour the price tried to pay.

johnpeakbikes
    Free Member

Singlespeedstu, We are doing everything we can to get issues like this one sorted as quickly as possible but we only gained access to the Ubyk system late yesterday. I will try and get some more information for you on Monday when Hope reopen. This process may take a little while to all get sorted but we will do our very best to keep everyone as up to date as we can.

Andy4d, Thank you for your support

singlespeedstu

john.
    I’m sure you are and I look forwards to your help.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Dear Peak Bikes, where the •••••• •••• did you get my email details from? Because I never supplied them to you, so why am I getting an email about your business?

The-Rookie
    Free Member

UBYK have now notified companies house they are in Liquidation, a bit outside the 14 days they should have done it in!
    https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/07633141

stevied
    Free Member

Dear Peak Bikes, where the •••••• •••• did you get my email details from? Because I never supplied them to you, so why am I getting an email about your business?

Snap! Come on, where’s the info been harvested from?

tomhoward

Dear Peak Bikes, where the •••••• •••• did you get my email details from?

UBYK, I imagine?

DezB
    Free Member

I know where they got my email from – I’ve bought stuff from Ubyk. I doubt it’s anything fishy (or phishy)

ped

Given than a customer list will have been part of any acquisition it’s not fishy but is rather unprofessional, particularly post-GDPR, not to spell out how this information has changed hands.

Anyway, the ‘new’ website shows everything (where links aren’t broken at least) as being in stock, so unless they’ve sorted out the fulfilment issues the old Ubyk was suffering from I can see them getting the same grief as before.

Note to online retailers: JUST TELL US WHEN AN ITEM IS NOT EX STOCK.

granny_ring

I got the email as well.
    Why they would want to keep that trading name is beyond me.

earl_brutus
    Free Member

https://www.ubyk.co.uk
    Website looks live again. How bizarre.

Poopscoop

Mental.lol

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I know where they got my email from – I’ve bought stuff from Ubyk. I doubt it’s anything fishy (or phishy)

I didn’t, I rang and found not only wasn’t it in stock it never had been and was such a rare request that they never considered getting them and they’d have to come from KCNC direct.

singlespeedstu

Not only is they website up and running but my account is still there and still using the same password.
    My wheels still haven’t been delivered though.🤣

jjprestidge
    Free Member

Note to online retailers: JUST TELL US WHEN AN ITEM IS NOT EX STOCK.

I understand your point here, but I think it’s worth pointing out that there’s probably not an online retailer in the world that’s selling a reasonable number of items that can guarantee that everything listed in stock is actually in stock.

There are myriad reasons for this, which people on here just don’t seem to understand. For example, if you’re selling on multiple channels (website, eBay, Amazon, etc) there can be a delay before products are synced after someone has bought an item. If one person buys the last of item X on Amazon, then someone else tries to buy it on the website before Amazon has synced, then you can easily have a problematic situation. Sometimes a replacement item will be sent out and the member of staff will forget to update the inventory. Sometimes human error means that the inventory was slightly wrong for a product in the first place. Sometimes the supplier sends a different number of products to that specified on the invoice. etc, etc.

I’m not defending companies who have everything in stock when it isn’t – I’m just attempting to show that expectations on here can be a bit too high. Online retailing is not as easy as it looks.

JP

SuperScale20
    Free Member

I have read this whole thread what a mess personally I would stay clear because so much just does not make sense. There are than enough good retailers out there to use.

benpinnick

There’s a clear difference between the accidental incidences you describe JP and the selling of products knowingly not in stock.

We often list things as in stock on our bike builder that’s ordered on demand as theres enough lead time to get them in before the build, but also have really big obvious info boxes that will tell customers that the product is bought on demand and that it will add some delivery time as well as some lead time.

If a shop chooses not to inform the customer that they don’t hold stock that’s a choice to decieve the customer into thinking they do. There’s nothing stopping anyone from adding a note to a product description that says so even if there software isn’t clever enough to handle the lead times.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

This whole thing smells fishier than a pile of dead fish in a closed down fish market.

stevedoc
    Free Member

Also had the emails from Peak, and added them to the block and never deal with. once bitten and all that, as there is so much that stinks about the whole palaver. Why in the name of god should the website be live again is beyond me.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

i will not buy from a site that states things are in stock when they are clearly not. end of.

wiggle/merlin/crc/biketart/evans and a whole host of others all have live stock, if you want to piss customers off carry on doing what ubyk did, or just change it or remove it completely.

people expect if it states in stock they will have it in a few days max, if it states in stock it should be in stock, not a different meaning like its in stock with suppliers, or in stock in the uk, or available to order from distro…..just list what the status actually is, you will win no customers if you keep it the same imo.

cokie

This means the store in Abingdon Rd, Oxford will be open again, and that makes me happy!
    Hopefully they can get things inline again.

How does it work with data? If you buy the company but only use their infrastructure & stores, do you get to keep all client data? I assume I only agreed to Ubyk using my data, and not any future sale of it to other companies..

kula93
    Free Member

Hi all,

Firstly a huge sorry for everyone chaught up in Ubyk going into Liquidation!!! To clear things up, or at least explain… ubyk had to go into Liquidation after all sale opportunities fell through (in Dec), it’s not something you do by choice, ubyk was something we nurtured and put many of hours into, those who run their own business will understand this. We lost our money and jobs, our pride and in my case health.

While the sale was looking to happen we where advised (badly in hindsight) to continue trading. However as soon as I got wind of the possibility of the sale failing, I contacted all staff and told them to stop taking any sales. The issues with any business closing that does c.50 orders a day is there is going to be a back log. Also the way our SagePay payment gateway worked is that it holds the payment at the point of purchase and then we take it, so in some cases it was simply left in hold.
    When you go into Liquidation your adviced to unplug the phones and not reply to anyone, your not prewarded or at least we wasn’t. It’s horrific, but legally you’re advised to let, in our case, Begbies Traynor (the liquidator) deal with it. My aim at this point was to try and aid Begbies with a sale of the business hope that the staffs jobs would be saved and hopefully customers would get aid from the new owner not just advice from the Liquidator. We put the business into Liquidation before Christmas, however due to the Christmas holiday, Begbies couldn’t file it until the 3rd of Jan.

All ubyk email auto reply’s should say to contact Begbies Traynor regarding anyone that’s lost money. Please contact them if you haven’t done so, I refunded as much as I could but if you didn’t then check with them or your card / PayPal about a refund!!!

The site however didn’t say this as I was advised that it could damage the sale which was to PeakBikes. This sale for the record wouldn’t make myself or my staff money, but could aid paying off debtors and as I said hopefully secure some jobs.

Now the staff don’t deserve the comments they’re getting!! There where things that happened that myself and the staff couldn’t control or foresee, and I realise that some people on here will come up with their own conclusions regardless of what facts I put. However we run / worked in a cycle business because we where all mad on cycling, not at one point did we want to leave people out of pocket, it’s deeply upsetting for us as I’m sure it is for anyone who has been effected by the closure of Ubyk, also as it is for other retailers effected by the uncertainty of Brexit.
    We’ve seen a lot of good Small independents close since 2017. Now to the guy that commented about me changing my number, yes you threatened me and my staff way before Begbies could contact people, just presuming we where all evil. I understand people being pissed off, I would be, especially as the delay in the Liquidation process meant a number of people didn’t know what was going on. But no need for this.

Finally I want to apologise for all those effected by us having to close, I want to thank those who supported us and those that continue to support IBD’s, without you they will close, so please keep the indie cycle shops alive. And again sorry from me.

Please contact Begbies Traynor if you haven’t been contacted or haven’t received advice yet.

As of last Friday Peak Bikes have officially taken over ubyk.

mashr

While the sale was looking to happen we where advised (badly in hindsight) to continue trading.

There’s “trading” and then there’s saying you have items in stock, not actually having items in stock, taking the money anyway. Even without the liquidation issue, I believe the shop had a reputation for doing that anyway and it really pisses off customers (see also the amount of hate Tredz get for doing the same)

andybrad

https://www.ubyk.co.uk
    Website looks live again. How bizarre.

it says at the bottom its a trading name of peakbikes

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Oh god. Talk about lobbing a can of petrol on the dying embers.

DezB
    Free Member

Nice to get an explanation from someone involved. Thanks kula93.
    I used ubyk without issue and will no doubt buy from Peak Bikes sometime in the future.
    Good luck!

ped

Nice one kula93: You’ll likely still get stick from some here, but I doubt it’ll be from anyone who’s actually worked (or lost work) through a company going under. Mistakes were evidently made, but sounds like your aims and ambitions were in the right place.

ped

JP,

Online retailing is not as easy as it looks.

Nobody said it was going to be easy! I’m speaking with ~30 years on and off of good and bad retail experience here, so I fully understand the reasons you list, can see where you’re coming from but somewhat disagree. A decent EPOS and inventory system will avoid nearly all occurrences of inaccurate stock information. The technology is there, regardless of whether operating a single site or across multiple sales channels. It ‘just’ requires retailers to make use of it.

Anyway, the issue in this case isn’t with local inventory but rather how the phrase ‘in stock’ is being used. In Ubyk’s case, the phrase seemed to mean that it’s hopefully in stock at Hope, Madison, Hotlines, Saddleback, wherever … with the modus operandi being to get the sale by offering it cheap and then go about finding the stock to honour the order. And that process falling over is the cause of most frustration. Your smaller retailer is up against the big boy’s huge warehouses and/or direct to consumer distributor setups, but as I think I mentioned a fair few pages back if retailers were honest I reckon they’d still get sales by admitting that “We’re cheapest, but you may have to wait for it”.

A real problem with online retailing is that anyone can operate a store with the same web presence as a multi-national company without the means to back it up. It’s too easy to pretend to be a supermarket when you’re actually the village store.

stevedoc
    Free Member

“Also the way our SagePay payment gateway worked is that it holds the payment at the point of purchase and then we take it, so in some cases it was simply left in hold”

Or in some cases money was taken without being able to fulfil the customers orders and then as per the very first post, MADE PEOPLE JUMP THROUGH HOOPS ! to get the money refunded back after lies and false promises. Stock levels again falsely advertised.

I understand the pressures of business and how the world works, the thing I struggle with is simply being lied to, and im sure that would be the general consensus with most that became embroiled in this farcical affair.

singlespeedstu

Now the staff don’t deserve the comments they’re getting!!

So you instructed them to lie to customers right up until you pulled the shutters down then?
    You took my money and kept trying to blame Hope right up to the death.
    I’m really not surprised that someone threatened you.(not me BTW)
    You took quite a chunk of money off him* and delivered nothing. Did you think he was going to send you a Christmas card thanking you for your service.
    *If it’s the guy I spoke too.

Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 622 total)

The topic ‘UBYK jumping through hoops’ is closed to new replies.