Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 622 total)
  • UBYK jumping through hoops
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ll pop by in a bit, I work about half a mile from them. Not boding well!

I’m half expecting the shutters to be down.

tdog
    Free Member

Don’t forget to take a pitchfork

tdog
    Free Member

& a set of bombers that you actually have in stock in your shed.

earl_brutus

eeek, looks like these guys have a history of in stock not in stock shenanigans…. https://www.trustpilot.com/review/ubyk.co.uk

mocha
    Free Member

recent news is that both shops have now been emptied of stock so yes, shutters will probably be down :o(

earl_brutus

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/07633141/filing-history
    their accounts from last summer dont fill me with confidence

Poopscoop

I’ve ordered from them in the past, nothing very expensive though.

Did you guys all use credit cards? I’m guessing PayPal gives similar protection if it comes to the worst?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Looks like I’m about to find out if the PayPal protection is any good.

TheGingerOne

It will be sad if they have gone as they built my Yeti ArcC when they first opened maybe 5 years ago in Oxford and helped just over 12 months ago when they helped me replace the frame under warranty. Both times they were great and I couldn’t have asked for better service.

They were very much a high end, niche end of the market shop and that sector of the cycle industry was always going to be the first to suffer when the cycling boom started to end. It can’t be nice being unable to stop a business from failing or having to make people redundant.

I’d like to think the staff were being honest in their recent communications with regards to orders. As in most businesses, the staff are only told the end is happening, when it actually happens.

I hope all those affected are able to get their money back via their credit cards \ paypal without too much hassle or a long wait.

Onzadog
    Free Member

It’s the poor sods who used debit cards that I feel sorry for.

aikon
    Free Member

Did anyone call in today? Website still down.

earl_brutus

They’re still trading on eBay by the looks of it.

buenfoxa
    Free Member

I rang a shop next to the Brighton Store – the lady said that the shop had been emptied today and signs put up saying that shop was closed for refurbishment.

I also rang a takeaway next to the Oxford store at 4pm today who said the shop was closed but people had been in there today – was reluctant to give any more information.

Also tracked down Richard Moir, UBYK’s Sales Manager, on Instagram – commented on a post he posted this morning asking about UBYK’s status – my comment was deleted and his account has been removed. He posted 4 stories on his Instagram within the last 24 hours with the last one having a pint at 4pm.

stevedoc
    Free Member

Sounds like I was right to jump when I did, I just hope anyone else owed products or money get what they are due. Perhaps if the company had been clearer from the start …

Poopscoop

Ouch. Looks like they are toast then.

Man, that 20% off is beginning to look mega cynical if so.

jonnyboi

Cynical? It looks downright fraudulent to me if they have gone under

Poopscoop

jonnyboi

Cynical? It looks downright fraudulent to me if they have gone under

Surely they couldn’t be that stupid though as on the face of it, it would be so easy to prove?

I’ll be honest though, it would be great to hear there is a perfectly acceptable reason for what’s going on…. but I’m bizarrely naive sometimes.

tomhoward

Surely they couldn’t be that stupid though as on the face of it, it would be so easy to prove?

No intention to defraud, m’lud. We honestly thought this sale would keep us in business. Ho hum.

davros

I’d been waiting a few weeks and heard nothing so emailed them. Explained they didn’t have the colour pedals I’d ordered but they had other colours in stock. I picked an alternative and received them wednesday. First order and last by the sounds of it!

SSBonty
    Free Member

Am waiting to see if I get a second xx0 cassette on the Black Friday deal. Ordered 2 separately a day apart, first arrived fairly quickly, second had email saying dispatched a couple of days ago so fingers crossed it was posted before they shut… let’s see!

Onzadog
    Free Member

I think my tale of woe clearly marks them as intentionally dishonest shysters.

Managed to get a call through on Thursday and told them that the brakes were the wife’s Christmas present and that if they couldn’t supply by Christmas, I needed to know as time to source them elsewhere was running out.

They promised a call back before closing at half five, but that never happened.

If they had any integrity about them, that would have been the time for them to act.

benpinnick

I don’t know about their general business but I do know that selling hope at 20% off what I think they normally sell it for would lose them money, so if you needed to raise cash it’s an odd way to go about it. If you sell £100,000 worth of hope, you’d get 98,000 in the bank, owe Hope 105,000 to buy it and spend another few hundred shipping it out.

What was the price of a brake you paid Onzadog?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

it’s an odd way to go about it. If you sell £100,000 worth of hope, you’d get 98,000 in the bank, owe Hope 105,000 to buy it and spend another few hundred shipping it out.

If you have no intention of settling your account with Hope, you’re set for a £100,000 Xmas.

And you are a smug crook.

andyrm
    Free Member

^^^ This. Ripping off both consumers and suppliers. Hope you all have some luck with card/PayPal refunds, and also hope suppliers have good credit insurance.

andyrm
    Free Member

Their eBay account seems to be selling everything off at cost price….

https://ebay.co.uk/usr/ubyk_brighton

simondbarnes

If you have no intention of settling your account with Hope, you’re set for a £100,000 Xmas.

Shops pay up front for stuff from Hope.

zeus14221
    Free Member

Hope are normally pro forma BUT do have some bigger shops on account.
    This might upset a few people but Ubyk have been playing this game for years saying that everything is in stock !!!! when ordering did you not READ the reviews on trust pilot or Facebook .

Onzadog
    Free Member

£265 for e4 pair with floating rotors.
    I know it’s less than trade for smaller shops but assumed they must be getting better rates for big orders. I also know that Hope don’t do credit so they’d have to pay for all that Hope stuff up front. I assumed that was the real reason it was coming out in drips and drabs. Money from one order, used to pay for the next.

Edit. Didn’t know some got credit, thought everyone was pro forma.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Phone just ringing out this morning.

shooterman

Really sorry to read this.

I think knowingly trading insolvently is an offence in its own right as well. Has anyone contacted trading standards?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Didn’t know some got credit, thought everyone was pro forma.

Then you are just counting on receipts from defrauded buyers to pay for your turkey and stuffing.
    Classy

martinhutch

Lying about why your website and shop are shuttered doesn’t help matters either. Seems to fit their standard operating procedure though.

If you’re no longer trading, just say so rather than lie about website maintenance etc.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I believe, but I’m no expert, that trading insolvent is unlawful in the UK and any debt incurred after the point if insolvency can become the personal liability of the director(s).

andyl
    Free Member

glad I didnt return part of my order now. Would have sent it back to have never seen the money again.

I wonder how the employees have lost out with regards to pay before Christmas.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Was Richard Moir* an employee? He seems to be following the party line to the bitter end so must have been looked after for that.

*Not listed as anything at Companies House.

andyrm
    Free Member

^^ He was sales and despatch manager I think.

This interesting reading – especially with the eBay store (branded as ubyk) showing they are still trading:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrongful_trading

hooja
    Free Member

I phoned up a few days ago to see if they could add something to my order and honour the 20% discount, that the rest of the order was placed under
    Richard moir personally said to place the order, pay at full price and he would happily refund the difference, which he did. Then the only status note regarding that last order read, only deal direct with Richard m regarding this order.
    Call me paranoid but it seems so suspicious now, it’s only £140 but still!

nonk
    Free Member

Maybe hold tight folks it looks like things will continue
    They are just having a bumpy handover by the looks of it

hooja
    Free Member

Where did you hear this nonk?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 622 total)

The topic ‘UBYK jumping through hoops’ is closed to new replies.