Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Tyres that work with 30mm int rims
  • paul123
    Free Member

Running some of the new rims and looking for tyre suggestions for EXO and supergravity/dual ply type casings. Magic mary seem good, vigilante, ardent(2.4 EXO) and DHF (2.3 EXO) all give what looks like very exposed side walls and not much cornering grip.

Suggestions welcomed

smatkins1
    Free Member

I’ve got some 29mm internal width rims.

I’ve run Maxxis Minion EXO 2.3’s, Ardent EXO 2.4s and Magic Marry SG 2.35’s on them so far and they’ve all given what I’d consider a good shape. Certainly no exposed sidewalls or problems with cornering grip.

Kahurangi

To put the Vigilantes in a comparative context, I found them surprisingly ok going from old to new Flows (25 to 30 mm internal).

Ok so I’ve lost some of the shoulder knob sticky-outiness but they never had much of that anyway. They’re much more stable though, before they were really temperamental to getting the pressure just right. Too hard and no grip, too soft and they’d fold.

I’m going to try the Minion DHF/DHR2 in 2.5’s next.

sambob
    Free Member

Magic Mary works really well on a 30mm rim, as does a Rock Razor.

paul123
    Free Member

Cheers all. Happy with the MM on the front. I was looking for something lighter and faster for non uplift days and a good rear tyre for more aggressive riding. Will give the ardent and vigilante a go. I found the later excellent on slightly narrower rims with the tough casing

Yetiman
    Free Member

My new E13 tyres are blimmin fantastic, replacing a MM front and DHR2 rear combo on 30mm internal 29er rims.

br
    Free Member

I’ve 30mm internal rims on my 29er and currently have both a HR2 and Shorty’s on the fronts and HR2 and Minion SS on the rears.

The fronts are 3C versions and the rears dual.

Rocky around here, no problems.

paul123
    Free Member

Great. Thanks. Anyone used the Maxxis WT tyres yet?

benpinnick

Yep running mine on 30mm rims and love them. Have taken to calling the Minion WT 2.5 the ‘Super Minion’ – Its soooo damn good.

kayla1
    Free Member

I’ve got some 26″ 2.35 DHFs on 36mm (internal) rims and they’re great, loads of grip.

olibluegoat
    Free Member

Hi guys.

Wondering if i should go 25 internal or 30mm internal on my new rims. Doe people find that the side knobs drag on a 2.3 dhr2 (29er)

Just wondering if 25 internal is the way to go?

Oli

Alex

Interested in this as well. Has 29ers coming on 25mm rims and currently going for my trusted combo of DHF/HRII or DHF/DHRII in 2.3 flavours.

rocketman
    Free Member

My rule of thumb is 1mm rim/0.1″ tyre give or take

olibluegoat
    Free Member

Yep. Getting some new rims – Spline Ones – and cant decide whether to go 25mm or 30mm Is the extra 25mm worth it?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Tyres that work with 30mm int rims’ is closed to new replies.