Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • two wood burners into one flue
  • spchantler
    Free Member

right, i have an otherwise sane friend, a lovely bloke, but a drummer. he has a lovely wood burner in his lounge and wants to put another one in the next room. the chimney stack is in the centre of the house, essentially the two appliances would be back to back. i’ve told him neither of them will work, it will be illegal and completely against building regs, he runs a very real risk of CO poisoning, etc etc. he reckons it will work like those stoves that have two doors, one on either side, or those big open fires that are between two rooms, and it will work because both flue openings will be at the same level, ie there will be the same air pressure at both flues. i know he will die, and neither will work. i’m right and he’s wrong, yes? ive emailed him a link to this (he’s not stw) so be kind to him, he’s a nice man. hi rog.

br
    Free Member

Have a go Rog, and lets find out which of you is right 🙂

robido

it will work no problem

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

he’d need to increase the flue size anyway, so it seems pointless regardless

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Knock through and put a double sided one in?

Dickyboy

okay seeing as I design commercial & industrial flues for a living i’ll bite (having said that I know eff all about building regs for domestic solid fuel appliances), virtually every project I do is with multiple boilers into a single flue system, so long as you create sufficient draught at the burner (usually involves larger combined flue) then there will be no death or calamity that you speak of. More than likely if the burners are just flued into an open chimney that the chimney is big enough already anyway as original chimney would have served an open fire (which requires greater air volume than wood burning stove).

mcmoonter
    Free Member

We have a wood burning stove which shares the same unlined flue as our AGA, no problems to report so far.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I used to think it was a good idea and would be OK, then I think I read somewhere that it was a bad idea. But then McM has done it and its alright.
    So there you go – I have no idea.
    Hope that helps Rog.

spchantler
    Free Member

right, just got a text from rog saying he’s read the replies, and it seems to be 80/20 in his favour. obviously he has to collate the results into a venn diagram with spelling mistakes and punctuation errors cross referenced against previous posting history, and divide the lot by ammount of beers drunk, it being friday night, but if mcmoonters done it, it must be ok. for the time being i stand corrected, but reserve the right to say i told you so, when i’ve bumped it for the weekday crowd, the proffessionals 😀

Eyepic
    Free Member

Have to say … this is someting I really wanted to do but I got cold feet and bought a double burner instead… best of luck.

Bear
    Free Member

I think it is a no from building regs side but I may be wrong as need to look it up.

spooky_b329

Surely one bigger double sided stove will be more efficient and more interesting?!

Edukator
    Free Member

I noted that the two paper burners in the Sisteen chapel share the same flue.

spchantler
    Free Member

bump for it professionals and other workers

Dickyboy

bump for it professionals and other workers

ask a local chimney sweep to ave a butchers

Stoner
    Free Member

from Part J

psling
    Free Member

What worries me is that mcmoonter hasn’t posted on here for over 2 days now… 😯

Stoner
    Free Member

I gather he’s lost in the woods at the moment….

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘two wood burners into one flue’ is closed to new replies.