Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Two Swedes are going MTB in Scotland. Suggestions anyone?
  • MissStumpjumper
    Free Member

Hi!

In two weeks we (Maria and Jennie) are going MTB in Scotland, because it seems to be heaven on Earth for MTBers. 🙂

We're flying to Glasgow (Prestwick) and are planning to go straight to Glentress. Have to check that place out… The rest of the week is unplanned so far. Suggestions, anyone? F ex, is it worth going north? Any accomodation you can recommend? We will rent a car so we will be flexible.

Besides, where can we rent good bikes?

Thanks for helping!

//Maria aka Miss Stumpjumper

theflatboy
    Free Member

two female swedish mountain bikers, you say? i'm no expert on the area but allow me to volunteer to act as a "guide". 🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

It is pretty good up here, are you looking for trail centres or a natural riding, or a mixture? Theres a few on here who can advise on natural trails (not me, not been here long enough to find them!). But if you have 2 weeks and a car you have lots of options.

forge197
    Free Member

Check out the breakpad http://www.thebreakpad.com they do bike hire and are based at Kirroughtree which in itself a trail worth riding.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Two female mountain bikers who are also Swedish.

That's pretty much ticked all my fantasy boxes…

Anyway, peurile blokishness aside, you'll find some ideas for some more adventurous bike rides here. Email in profile if you want more details on any of the routes.

It is SO VERY worth going North. Go to Golspie and Balblair and stay in Sleeperzzz in Rogart (google is your friend!).

I'd certainly offer to show you round, but unfortunately I'll be away until the end of the month, killing myself in the Transalp.

Enjoy!

crouch_potato
    Free Member

Hej!

There are always threads on here about where to ride in Scotland. If you say what kind of riding you're looking for (the terrain, scenery etc…) and level (technical and physical) then you'll find plenty of suggestions all across the country, as well as the south. The best bet is to have a number of options and wait to see what happens with the weather then plan accordingly.

My girlfriend is Swedish, and when I took here for her first biking and climbing trip round Scotland I designed a trip that I thought would convince her that Scotland was better than Moder Svea. That included riding in some of my favourite places in Perthshire, the Cairngorms, Torridon, Applecross, Skye and the Glencoe area, including a mixture of forest, mountain, and coastal/beach riding at a level that was fun for both of us. If we had had longer than 10 days and more money I would also have included Harris and the Borders, but as it was, (I think) it helped to convert her a little. Since then we've been other places, including the south (and Glentress/Innerliethen- which is definitely fun, and my other Nordisk kompisar have all loved it).

The areas above make a nice tour of the Eastern Highlands and the West Coast, in some of the more spectacular but accessible mountain areas, and you could easily stay longer on one side or the other, depending on the weather. We camped all the time, but you could use hostels or B&Bs in most areas.

We're having a few days off in a couple of weeks, so if you'd like some company for a day somewhere, we might be able to show you somewhere interesting. I'm trying to plan the reverse at the moment, a cykeltur in the fjällhöga nord, so maybe we could exchange some tips?

Anyway, hålla tummarna för vädret, och lycka till med planering. Om ni har frågor eller behöver hjalp med nåt mejla mig (i profil)!

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Yup, need to know what type of riding you want. You must get up north and away from the trail centres to experience real Scottish mountain biking and the best of the scenery. A really good base would be Aviemore – more biking of all kinds around the Cairngorms than you could do in 2 weeks, and you are really central to get almost anywhere for day rides

crazy-legs

Glentress and Innerleithen are both very good trail centres. If possible try and get over to Dumfries and Galloway area, the rest of the 7 Stanes trail centres are mostly round there and Kirroughtree is definitely worth a visit.

Natural stuff – you're spoilt for choice in Scotland! Aviemore/Cairngorms both excellent. Remember to pack the midge repellent!

hora
    Free Member

Hi Maria (waves). Me and my friend SimonFBarnes will be in Glasgow on the day you land and by coincidence we also would like to participate in a great deal of riding in Scotland. We would be more than glad to assist you and help you ride alot.

jockhaggis
    Free Member

I would suggest heading straight for Kirroughtree as you are arriving on that side of the country. Overnight at the Breakpad.

Then over to Glentress/Innerleithen for a couple of days, staying in Peebles.

After that head North for some natural riding or up to Golspie and the other Moray trails if you have the time. You could also stop in at Laggan on the way.

Bike hire from the Breakpad, The Hub at Glentress, Alpine bikes at Innerleithen and also at Laggan.

There is a link at the top of this page for the Singletrack Trail Guide with lots of good info.

Just some ideas.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You can rent bikes at Glentress. I think you can also rent bikes at bothy bikes near avimore but I am not sure.

If you are going to be in Scotland for a week only I would suggest a couple of days in the Glentress area, and the rest further north. Perhaps two areas i the north – around Avimore and around fort william.

to advise on routes I need to know what sort of routes you want. Many of the classic scottish "natural" routes involve a bit of walking with your bike. How many KM in a day and how difficult for the routes?

Northwind

I'm not that well travelled, but Innerleithen is brilliant, well worth the trip from glentress seeing as how it's about 5 miles away 🙂

crouch_potato
    Free Member

Oh Maria, worth remembering (if you don't know) that 5 miles (UK) is 0,5 mil (SE (typ)). Road signs are in miles, maps measure in km. We are that progressive.

the_lecht_rocks

i'm in NE Scotland…………

loads and loads of opportunities here.

AlasdairMc

Is this thread a windup? It's just that I remember on another forum someone got banned, then came back as a woman and duped the assembled geeks for a long while.

If not, you might be cheaper hiring a bike for a fortnight as opposed to hiring several times in different places.

cbike
    Free Member

I have two FS bikes for hire, http://www.cosybike.co.uk/bicyclehire.html

Could do a deal for two weeks.

hora
    Free Member

I have two mean Hombres for you. Batteries not required 8)

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I wonder if Miss Stumpjumper is actually a bricklayer from Birmingham?

hora
    Free Member

MissStumpjumper
    Free Member

Hej!

First of all, yes we are female MTBers. There are quite a few of them here. 🙂

Thanks to all of you for GREAT tips! (And for guiding offers.) It helps a lot. We've actually been talking about the area around Glencoe/Fort William and Aviemore, because we heard there was epic biking there. So maybe we will start in Glentress/Innerleithen, then continue north? That is, if there is enough time and if we manage to drive on the wrong side of the road… Thinking of how many opportunities there are, I guess I'll have to return to Scotland many times for MTBing.

Oh, we're mainly looking for singletracks. We don't mind some technical challenges (not too much though) and prefer tracks that are quite physically demanding, so that you deserve a beer at the pub at night. 😉

Crouch potato: your girlfriend is very lucky! Sounds like she got the perfect introduction to Scothish biking and climbing. Moder Svea offers some really nice biking as well. F ex, two weeks ago we went to Säfsen in Dalarna. Try that out when you're here. Also, you can go to Funäsdalen or Åre. They're both in Norrland and I've only been there in the winter, but biking there is supposed to be great. For downhill there is another place in Dalarna named Gesunda. Sälen offers biking as well… and so on… There are several places all around Sweden. When are you going to fjällhöga nord? Where about in Scotland do yo live? We will be in Scotland 23-30 July (too short…). We learnt at school that 1 mile = 1,609 km. I did not know that maps were in km though. Maybe time to make a decision? 😉

//Maria

Smee
    Free Member

There is a line in that last post suggests that you are not swedish.

Bunnyhop

Maria (femle biker here too), I can recommend the Northern trail centres, as others above have said.
    Fort William-Witches trail,
    Moray monster trails,
    Learnie red rock,
    Kyle of Carbisdale,
    Golspie,
    Laggan-wolftrax.
    These are all signposted and have varying degrees of difficulty.

Have fun.

MissStumpjumper
    Free Member

Thanks Bunnyhop!

vinnyeh

Smee, for one of the few times in my life I find myself agreeing with you. ALways happy to be proven wrong, mind.

druidh
    Free Member

mcmoonter – Member

I wonder if Miss Stumpjumper is actually a bricklayer from Birmingham?

I was actually thinking of a small, dark-skinned chap from Londinium

MissStumpjumper
    Free Member

What can I do to prove that I AM a Swede from Gothenburg and not a bricklayer from Birmingham?

stuartie_c
    Free Member

I was actually thinking of a small, dark-skinned chap from Londinium

Nah – he's coming back as "Todd Unctuous"

MissStumpjumper
    Free Member

The crounch potato can confirm my origin. Or his girlfriend. Eller hur!?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Sounds like Brummie to me, gleaned from Swedish cinema.

jimmy

Miss Stumpjumper – Member

What can I do to prove that I AM a Swede from Gothenburg and not a bricklayer from Birmingham?

When did they move Christmas to July?

stuartie_c
    Free Member

What's the name of the museum in Stockholm based around a sunk ship?

crazy-legs

What's the name of the museum in Stockholm based around a sunk ship?

Anyone who's been to Stockholm knows that and besides it's all of 30 seconds work on Google to find it!
    Trust me on this, she's genuine. 😉

MissStumpjumper
    Free Member

Jimmy: don't really get what you mean? Christmas = jul in Swedish or what?
    Stuartie_c: Easy peasy: Wasamuséet or the Wasa Museum, well worth a visit!crazy-legs: Thanks, you're my hero. 🙂

WTF
    Free Member

Hi!

In two weeks we (Maria and Jennie) are going MTB in Scotland

May I be the first to ask for pics please 🙂
    Email in profile 😉

chewkw
    Free Member

Miss Stumpjumper,

Pics please …

😛

twohats
    Free Member

Maria aka Miss Stumpjumper has also posted on the Swedish equivalent of STW asking for info about riding in Scotland.

http://happymtb.org/forum/read.php/1/1179834

Why do people think its a guy pretending to be a women?

BTW, I'm in Göteborg, so I can check to verify gender if need be 😉

BluePalomino
    Free Member

seems like Glentress will be overrun in a few weeks then 😯

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

ms Stumpjumper – please ignore the testosterone exuding from some on here.

I would suggest a mix of trail centres and "natural trails"

want some further route advice – e mail me – jeremyDOTpascoeATbtinternetDOTcom ( change the capitals to the obvious)

WTF
    Free Member

On a serious note…
    Kirroughtree and/or Drumlanrig will do the job.

chewkw
    Free Member

…"want some further route advice – e mail me – jeremy …"

LOL! @ email …

😈

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Two Swedes are going MTB in Scotland. Suggestions anyone?’ is closed to new replies.