Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Reccomend me the best tyres for a bit of everything.
  • anlegov
    Free Member

I need to add about €60 to my CRC basket to get free shipping, and so I thought I’d get a pair of new tyres. What would you guys reccomend as the best all-around tyre for a bit of DH (and uphill)with a lot of XC, and with plenty of gravel, rocks, mud, dust, grass, puddles, logs to jump over – just your usual day out on the bike really.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

high rollers

anlegov
    Free Member

The hard-compound jobbies? 2.3″-ish?

jonb
    Free Member

Panaracer fire xc pro

james
    Free Member

Kenda Nevegal 2.1″ DTC (dual tread compound) folding (the size of 2.3″ continental/panaracer)
    Maxxis Advantage 2.1″ 62a eXception folding (again quite big)
    Bontrager ACX 2.2″ folding (520/565g) – a tad hard though
    Maxxis High Roller 2.35″ (more like a 2.25″) 60a folding (646/695g)

Stuff I’ve been most recently (for a while actually) and happy with most for riding as you describe. All handle mud well enough, big enough to take a bit of a battering and corner well enough mostly

specializedneeds

High Roller 2.35″ folding – too heavy for cross country/long days out
    High Roller 2.1″ 62a exception – too light-weight/narrow/lacking in centre and shoulder tread to survive rocky descents/hold a decent line downhill without being deflected. The lack of shoulder tread (compared to the 2.35) leaves the side walls vulnerable, IME.

Wish Maxxis did a 2.1 High Roller with the same tread as the 2.3 Roller

All IMO of course

baz
    Free Member

maxxis ignitor 2.1 iv just been looking myself for new boots looked at everything but notting come close to these.price wise £24.99 for crc if used them all last year and they do everthing and at 480/489g each they light too

anlegov
    Free Member

Some good info here. Thanks. Like to look of Maxxis Advantage.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Kenda Nevegal DTC 2.35’s and enjoying them even though some folk call them Kenda surprise. Mine were both tubeless (ghetto) until I ragged the sidewall of the rear DH’ing at Innerleithen on the 456 Inbred.

Also High rollers worth a mention too

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

646g is too heavy for an xc tyre?!!

that strikes me as being pretty lightweight for the volume.

jonk

Panaracer cinder & they are on sale at crc too.

specializedneeds

646g for which tyre? Maxxis website has 2.35″ folding Rollers at 695g

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

I’m using Kenda dread Treads at the moment…..so far,so good.

james
    Free Member

“High Roller 2.35″ folding – too heavy for cross country/long days out”
    What?!
    Maxxis Say they are 695g. JRA say they are 646g. On picking mine up (when fitting) they feel pretty light

“646g for which tyre? Maxxis website have 2.3″ folding Rollers at 695g”
    Just Riding Along has them at 646g (on their we weighed these maxxis tyres type page)

james
    Free Member

“Panaracer cinder & they are on sale at crc too”
    700g looks pretty good for a 2.35″ (Nevegal look a like) tyre
    2.35″ Kenda Nevgals are a bit over 700g

All fair enough until you see a set of 2.35″ Rampages. They’re tiny. A 2.2″ I reckon. Smaller than 2.35″ High Rollers I reckon and they’re already small
    Still bigger than 2.1″ Kenda Nevegals though, but not by much

specializedneeds

Some good info here. Thanks. Like to look of Maxxis Advantage.

Been thinking about Advantage 2.1’s to replace my ripped pair of High Rollers (Grrr, both on the same Afan descent). Anyone confirm they are a proper 2.1″?

Also, can anyone comment on a Blue Groove/Nevegal front/rear combo using Stans and No tubes rims?

james
    Free Member

Old Maxxis (Larsen TT, Ignitor, High Roller, Minion and so on) are small. Continental/Panaracer sort of small (not quite sure how they compare with one another)

New Maxxis (Crossmark, Advantage, Ardent and some (XC) others) are pretty big. Perhaps bigger than a proper 2.1″. The 2.25″ advantages are 2.5″ High Roller/Minion size (but 660g). The 2.4″ is ridiculous (even on the front of a nomad when I saw one. I’d love to see just how insane the 2.6″ Ardent is for size

phinw
    Free Member

Intense System 4’s Excellent in all but serious sticky gloop. They are 2.25 wide so a good compromise on width too.

nukeproof
    Free Member

Maxxis Say they are 695g. JRA say they are 646g. On picking mine up (when fitting) they feel pretty light

Got a 2.35 folding HR last week and popped it on the digital scales: came in at 697g. I’d certainly consider that light enough for XC but certainly heavier than the Bonty Mud-X I did have on.

stratobiker
    Free Member

Hutchinson Pirhanas, I love them. UST ones.

specializedneeds

I’d certainly consider that light enough for XC but certainly heavier than the Bonty Mud-X I did have on.

Yeah, about 150g each!

james
    Free Member

Yes, but 2″ Mud X’s are tiny

I can touch the rim with one on the rear of my hardtail at 40psi on sets of steps

Compared to 2.25″ folding Advantages (which are a fair bit bigger volume) they’re pretty heavy though (2.35″ folding high rollers that is)

specializedneeds

P.S. Loving the punctuation marks and smilies as if to say WTF, rather than just a polite ‘I disagree’. STW eh, don’t you love it

simondbarnes

Jones ACX 2.35

specializedneeds

Tempted to say I should stop worry over the weights and just appreciate the benefits of the extra volume – and spend less time on the net 😉

specializedneeds

that strikes me as being pretty lightweight for the volume.

Yes, but 2″ Mud X’s are tiny

Basically I’m not saying the HR etc are heavy for their size just that they are heavy compared to a 2.1″ tyre (e.g. Fire XC Pro’s are <600g), so why spin the extra mass when 2.1″ could be all that’s needed for XC. Too many terrain, rider weight and riding style variables to make sweeping generalisations, of course.

Northwind

I like the Nevegals, I’ve been playing around with them, 2.1 both ends with a stick-e on the front makes a very good allround set (or a Blue Groove on the front and Nevegal on the back). They’ve done me fine all winter, and they’d do me for summer too I’m sure, but I’ve stuck on a more summery set for now. I’ve got a 2.35 pair as well but they’re just silly for xc (though the 2.35 on the back of a hardtail makes for a nice ride on lumpy trails!)

gingerflash

Some don’t like them, but I love Conti Supersonic Mountain Kings. The 2.4s are 590g.

zaskar
    Free Member

I’m using Nevegals as I use m road bike more and once a week i ride with firends on mtbs whci h can be random weathered trails.

Kenda Nevegals work good in all weather but not as good as dedicated muds or hardpack or summer dry trail dedicated tyres.

They can be draggy too, 2.1’s work good in mud but a rear 2.3 will clog up in bad conditions.
    I’m using DTC 2.1s.

But an all round tyre? Nevegals are really good. I think I’ll get small block 8 if the weather stays dry this summer-yeah right!

maxsatnav
    Free Member

advantage 2.25

nuff sed

Jezkidd
    Free Member

Conti vertical pro

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

When you say a bit of everything, what sort of bias are we talking about?

sq225917
    Free Member

Tioga Farmer Johns or Ritchey Z-max WC…

mingsta
    Free Member

I’ve used Panaracer Cinders and Kenda Nevegals.

Both are decent tyres, absolutely love the Nevegals for general trail centre and xc riding and I found them both consistent and sure footed. Neither’s particularly light or fast rolling however, more tyres for people who enjoy blatting it on the downhills.

There’s probably better tyres for muddy conditions, however, as they tend to float/squirm rather than cut through in 2.35 form.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Speshneeds – I’m 14.5 stone. I’ll take a 2.3 for volume for ‘xc’ thanks.

Mingsta – Tyres are funny and personal eh? I thought Nevegals rolled pretty well!

Joxster
    Free Member

Conti Rubber Queens, the 2.4 are huge but sticky as. Similar profile to the High roller.

franki
    Free Member

Tyres are funny and personal eh?

They sure are.
    I tend to get on with rounder profile tyres with proggressive cornering, where more aggressive riders seem to like Highrollers and their ilk for hard cornering.

Personally I don’t like 2.35 Highrollers (too draggy and slow) or Fire XC Pros (poor in even the slightest mud).

Bonty ACX 2.2 have been my faves for a good few years. Great in all conditions, the only weakness is steering in thick mud, but never really felt the need for proper mud-tyres.

Trying 2.1 ADvantages now for a change.

Ti29er
    Free Member

Have you seen the new Bonty Jones 2.1 XDX tyres?
    I used to swear by Nobby Nics, but the side walls are way-too thin and wear out in no time at all. Plus they can be £££.

Tim

specializedneeds

Bonty ACX 2.2 have been my faves for a good few years

Tubeless ready version as well – think I’ll give them a shot, cheers

catnash
    Free Member
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Reccomend me the best tyres for a bit of everything.’ is closed to new replies.