Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Two Bikes stolen in Cardiff
  • chrispy

Hey all,

Had two bikes stolen from inside my house yesterday in (broad daylight too!) so if you could all keep a look out for these I would be most greatfull…

Many thanks!

mamadirt
    Free Member

🙁 I’ll keep a look out in Newport.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

im over on the edge of the Valleys Bridgend way, i’ll keep a look see out here as well

matt23
    Free Member

Live near the city centre eyes peeled mate!

valleydaddy
    Free Member

stinkers 👿

will keep an eye out on my travels, someone knew that you had them to risk breaking in to a house.

Feckers

SaxonRider

Eyes are peeled.

chrispy

Cheers guys, much appreciated.
    I have no idea if I was targeted or not because of the bikes as they took other stuff too, but they smashed in through a double glazed window so they put a bit of effort in. They may have been chancers as you could probably see the bikes from looking through the kitchen window. That said I was only out for an hour that day.
    The PC said that one of the more common reasons now is being subscribed to MTB mags which is worrying but that isn’t the case for me anyway..

Finally, any tips for security? The PC said i couldn’t have done any more really but do things like security cameras actually put people off? ( the bikes weren’t locked up as I thought the house would be safe as im on a quite street too.. oops)

Cheers

valleydaddy
    Free Member

The PC said that one of the more common reasons now is being subscribed to MTB mags which is worrying but that isn’t the case for me anyway..

That’s a bit worrying if databases are being sold?????? 😯

chrispy

That’s a bit worrying if databases are being sold??????

Very. he said there might be people at the distributors giving out information. How true that is I don’t know.

Paulio
    Free Member

I’m in Barry and cycle into Cardiff every day so will keep ’em peeled. I see a few of those Giant bikes around but your Orange should be distinctive enough to spot.

If these sods want to get something then things like windows and locks will only slow them up.

tonyplym
    Free Member

Could also be a casual employee of the Post Office . . . easy enough for someone to keep a note of which addresses get deliveries of bike mags, parcels from CRC, Wiggle, Evans etc and then sell the list on to a lowlife . . .

postierich
    Free Member

Could be a normal postie they are all theiving feckers apparantly!

Sorry about your loss.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

People do sell data bases.Its not just postmen and women walking up peoples driveways.It still amazes me when i am delivering around Cheltenham how many bikes i see on show in peoples houses and no i am not a peeping Tom 😆

tommo
    Free Member

You could try posting it on this forum. Hope you get them back.

http://stolenbikecardiff.blogspot.com/

flatfish
    Free Member

Coppers do talk a lot of bollocks sometimes.(Larry included 😉 )
    I arrived at somebodys house last year who’d been a “victim of crime” and had his orange five stolen, uniformed plod was still there chatting to the “victim”. When i said that i knew of two other bikes stolen in the same area that week he almost accused me on the spot of being the thief. Then i reminded that i was a local locksmith/mountainbiker, fairly well known around those parts of Brizzle, he then backtracked in front of my customer, mumbled something and made his way off down the path.
    Don’t take the coppers word as gospel.
    The bobby in charge of bristol bike crime, who’s been on here in the past, doesn’t even ride a bike. Read into that what you will!!!!

ell_tell
    Free Member

Roughly what area of the city out on interest? Will keep my eyes peeled to & from work for ya.

chrispy

I live in on the edge of Cathays in a less studenty area.

I was close to not bothering with contents insurance last year but i’m obviously very glad I did. Just hoping M&S do a good job now….

Kev79
    Free Member

I’ll keep eyes peeled for the Five around local area in north Cardiff and around the usual trail centres.

MrAgreeable

As Tommo says, drop an email to stolencardiff@gmail.com with a description and photo.

I run a similar blog in Bristol and while it may not get checked by that many people, it does mean that you bike is immediately very visible on Google.

Some good tips on recovering stolen bikes here: http://stolenbikecardiff.blogspot.com/2010/10/tips-on-recovering-stolen-bike.html

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d look but I’m not currently there.

Also if anyone sees a Pace RC300 with black RC38 forks and other bling stuff let me know. It was nicked years ago but I swear I saw it being ridden the other way down Newport road a few months ago as I was driving.

Oh and a battered old classic fully rigid ’96 Orange P7…

Btw Chrispy, living on a quiet street is LESS secure not more. Burglars can take their time and feel more confident.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

(Mr MC posting)

when did you last ride either of em? I was burgled in cheltenham, only left the house for an hour, they took 2 bikes and a laptop. Bikes totally out of sight (basement flat), I’m positive they* had seen us come back from a ride earlier that day or the day before and kept an eye on the house.

*also reckon they were either working on a building site just down the road, or were mates of people who were**.

** based on recent professional experience not stereotyping.

chrispy

Cheers all, I have now emailed stolenbike Cardiff and am keeping an eye on ebay / gumtree.

I last rode my bikes about 3 weeks ago now as I have been ill for the last couple of weeks.
    I imagine they must have known I was out and so were the neighbours as it would have been pretty noisy smashing the window. (I live mid-terrace)

Thinking about getting a IP cctv camera but don’t really know what else I can do to deter them as they now know that I have quite alot of stuff in my house.

Can anyone recommend something that I can attach to the wall under the stairs that I can chain the bikes too? (I appreciate that if they really want the bike nothing will stop them, but anything to stop chancers.)

flatfish
    Free Member

Got one of these in my garage.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Pop into Cyclopaedia, 116 Cryws Road and mention it to Ian or Stuart (owners) they will then all keep their eyes open as I know they have previously had muppets in trying to “sell their 2nd hand bikes” They have apprehended a few thieves in their time! Good luck though.

project
    Free Member

flatfish – Member

Coppers do talk a lot of bollocks sometimes.(Larry included )
    I arrived at somebodys house last year who’d been a “victim of crime” and had his orange five stolen, uniformed plod was still there chatting to the “victim”. When i said that i knew of two other bikes stolen in the same area that week he almost accused me on the spot of being the thief. Then i reminded that i was a local locksmith/mountainbiker, fairly well known around those parts of Brizzle, he then backtracked in front of my customer, mumbled something and made his way off down the path.
    Don’t take the coppers word as gospel.
    Posted 1 day ago # Report-Post

I had the sam thing a few years ago, went to a customer who had been broken into, dodgy back door which i said needed replaceing along with a new mortice lock on front door, the copper accused me of being after money from the customer,

molgrips
    Free Member

Almax are your friends.

deluded
    Free Member

Coppers do talk a lot of bollocks sometimes.(Larry included )

– I had a good mind to click the REPORT-POST link 😀 You are correct of course but this is coming from one of the main contributors to the Bivi thread!

Pop round for a brew when you’re next about.

Villains see people loading expensive bikes into their houses, or note that they have a car on the drive with a roof rack … or wait in a lay-by for motorists turning off the Severn Bridge exit at Avonmouth who are returning from Cwm Carn and then follow them to their addresses with the intention of screwing the house in a day or two. Although I think MTB subscription and database acquisition is somewhat farfetched it’s naive to think that because they are scrotes that they don’t employ various methods to identify potential victims. Or it could be your average day-time dwelling burglar that gets lucky and sees’ bikes on display in a person’s house or inadequately secured in a rickety old shed or pish poor padlocked up-and-over garage – nothing to do with being targeted.

The bobby in charge of bristol bike crime, who’s been on here in the past, doesn’t even ride a bike. Read into that what you will!!!!

– this is Frank Simmonds, he’s a crime prevention officer and is not in charge of bike thefts! He has done various initiatives including bike tagging for use on immobilize.

Better communication is the way forward as Mr Agreeable has been doing with his website and FB group, along with employing common-sense security measures and use of immobilise etc. I would ask that if people see something on Ebay, which is clearly stolen that they don’t ask the seller questions just for laughs as this can alert them and frustrate police efforts to recover the bike. Best report it to police or Crimestoppers and hope something is done about it.

Ohh, and I would recommend flatfish as a locksmith as I’ve had cause to use his services at my house. You might have to listen to him drone on about roughing in the woods at night in his tent though!

All the best.

flatfish
    Free Member

I’ll see if i can come round tomorrow afternoon.

coatesy
    Free Member

Will keep an eye out at Sunset too.For Molgrips, may have been me that you saw on Newport Road, got an F4 with black forks too.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Two Bikes stolen in Cardiff’ is closed to new replies.