Home Forums Chat Forum Twitter/X algorithm

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Twitter/X algorithm
    oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

My twitter account is flooded with Reform, Tommy Robinson and associated arseholes, most of the content I used to get has almost disappeared. I get messaged by Musk about supporting Trump I have right wing gun nuts declaring stop the steal.

May be time to move on.

lunge

I’ve deleted the app earlier this week. No matter how many times I blocked people and clicked “not interested” the same stuff kept appearing.

You can of course just click on the feed that only show’s who you’re following, but that kind of defeats the object for me.

jameso

It’s a mess. I deleted it some time ago and don’t miss it one bit. Even on following-only view, the idiot comments and general polarised aggro.. nah. Why willingly have all that in your life?

piemonster
    Free Member

Its nuts, and half the accounts fall into the ‘some letters and a bunch if numbers’ accounts that, even if you check their timeline dont really say anything that would suggest they’re not bot accounts.

kitchener
    Free Member

Bots. Bots Bots Bots. They now influence more followers than ever, and Elon doesn’t care about fixing anything. Delete the app for a peaceful life.

slowoldman

Do you have your feed set to “For You” or “Following”?

matt303uk

I stopped using it about a year ago so no idea how bad it’s got, I don’t miss it, like most algorithm driven social media it’s designed to manipulate you to drive “engagement” but with an added helping of Musk using it to push his ideas and ideology.

matt_outandabout

I have finally deleted my whole Twitter account and left.

It is the only solution.

Harry_the_Spider

Yep. I want to see airfix kits, bikes and pandas doing stupid things, yet my feed is full of **** setting fire to things.

MSP

I actively avoid it. I just wish so many idiots on here would stop regurgitating their twitter bubbles, maybe STW could put a warning to twitter links instead of  the actual posts so those of us who want to avoid the company can.

Youtube is getting nearly as bad as well.

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

Ok that’s settled it

dakuan
    Free Member

also now completly off twitter. I had a habit of spinning up a new account if there was a topic i wanted to tap into. The algo worked great, i could do a bit of searching, find a few people who knew their onions, follow them and very quickly the ‘for you’ tab would be serving up thecontent I was looking for, like my own personalised newswire.

Since Musk, thats all gone to pieces, ‘for you’ tab is wall to wall nonsense. Hard to find serious people to follow as grifters getting top billing. Follow tab was also mostly rubbish, espeically as nonsense replies would get punted to the top.

Amusingly, these lurker accounts now have 100’s of bot followers though, all aquired since Musk

kelvin

Don’t use it. Don’t browse it. Don’t embed it. Don’t share it.

RustyNissanPrairie

Delete it. Social media is crap for informative/technical discussions. I’ve spent time writing out detailed replies to posts with nary a reply/thanks.

Forums are better (just like this one is!) as you dont get all the algorithms and russian sponsored crap thrown at you.

andy4d

Only signed up to twitter at the start of the Ukraine war to follow what was happening. Since then my feed has deteriorated like everyone else’s into a feed of hatred and stuff I have no interest in.

Deleted my account at the weekend and don’t think I will ever be buying a Tesla.

andytherocketeer

maybe STW could put a warning to twitter links instead of  the actual posts so those of us who want to avoid the company can

I have Privacy Badger browser extension installed.  It does precisely that, but for all sites with X/Twitter links.

You can click to either allow once if you really want to see what someone linked to, or allow all for that site.

Best thing I did was delete twitter account entirely.  Although that was more for privacy reasons, and Musk buying Twitter than it was for the bile that I’d get to see.  I imagine it’s worse now, judging by what people “retweet” to forums and other social media.

BoardinBob

I have a permanent, unappealable, unrevokable lifetime ban from Twitter for saying Trump was the C-word and everyone who votes for him is a C-word. Hate speech apparently. Permanent ban and unable to register new accounts.

Honestly, it’s the best thing that could have happened. I give it zero attention now. I can view maybe 3 or 4 tweets before I’m “rate limited” and can’t see anything for an unspecified time. My mental health is much better without it in the current climate

the-muffin-man

Is Threads any better?

I only use Twitter to follow F1 news and tech analysis, but like others just getting a feed full of hate now.

andytherocketeer

Lol @ going out in style.  Wish mine was as dramatic, rather than a basic flounce.

I do seem to have a permaban from instagram, but that wasn’t so dramatic either. They wanted all kinds of ID and stuff that I am not prepared to give, so stuff-em!

For F1 etc. I just sub a couple of youtube channels.  No need for twatter.

Harry_the_Spider

Just flounced myself.

Horrible place.

jameso

I have a permanent, unappealable, unrevokable lifetime ban from Twitter for saying Trump was the C-word and everyone who votes for him is a C-word. Hate speech apparently. Permanent ban and unable to register new accounts.

Yet Tommy Robinson is back on there. Probably says all you need to know about Twitter/Musk.

PS you were right.

Haze

Timely, deactivated mine this morning….am I right in thinking it’ll get properly wipred so long as I don’t log in in the next 30 days?

andytherocketeer

Correct

Now trying to remember what else I wanted deactivated.  I’m sure there was another site that wouldn’t let you do a deactivation request for 7 days if you’d just done a “I forgot my password” so you could log in to deactivate the account :rolleyes:  I did, then promptly forgot what it was.

Did the Farcebook AI opt out.  I’m sure there’s something else that needs deactiviating.

scotroutes

Ah. The other Twitter. I don’t see any of that stuff. Maybe you’re just following the wrong folk or have questionable interests. My feed is full of hillwalking, biking, some news stuff, environmental stuff about rewinding etc,

Cowman

Deleted it earlier this week after 10 years or so.

Had really enjoyed the heads up posts to support education. Some really inspiring posts and some things that allowed me to share my hobbies.

After about 3 weeks of cesspit posts, videos and views (and very very very little else) I canned it.

So. I’m back here more. So that’s good I suppose.

ratherbeintobago

@the-muffin-man Threads is owned by Mark Zuckerberg who is nearly as much of a treat to democracy as Musk. And I’m told it’s full of Insta cross-posts.

kormoran
    Free Member

Just binned it too on the back of this thread. What a POS it turned into.

Follow a couple of people on bluesky who shifted over. Far better

rickmeister

I’m banned by russia MFA but thankfully there are many more countries with russia MFA accounts. I’m aiming to get a total global block

Sandwich

Banned for referring to someone as a gimp! Machine appeals system turned me away so deleted app and left the post in place. It’s more than 5 years ago now and I don’t miss it.

alpin
    Free Member

Interesting interview with a former Twitter higher-up on the Newsagents podcast.

Worth a listen. Basically Musk has tweaked it so that all the **** get their say.

chestrockwell

Deleted the app last night. Just don’t need that in my life now it’s so heavily biased towards hate and anger.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’ve never had Instagram / Twitter .  Been on Facebook for decades though

Prob about 4 months ago I joined Twitter  and Instagram as it appeared to be the chosen way my sons football teams communicate after matches ie match reports etc.

I guess I am quite difficult to feed lots of shite because they have no history on me.

Stupidly after the Manc Airport thing I watched one of the vids of the nice gentleman beating up the Police officers. Since then my feed has had alot of stuff on there that I have zero interest in and is violent, political etc etc.

I’ve considered coming off them all but need to stay on as its a useful source of info for my sons football.

thecaptain
    Free Member

I only ever watched the people I followed. I mean, that’s the whole point, isn’t it? You can follow who you want. Their retweets often indicate others you might want to also follow, and so on. For all of shitter’s faults, this isn’t one of them.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.