Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)
  • TV SHOWS, that should be consigned to history, and never be repeated
  • project
    Free Member

Jeremy Kyle
    Loose Women,
    Strictly come dancing or whatever its called,
    Dancing on Ice,
    Eastenders,
    Hollyoaks, only found out a few days ago it was still being made,
    Love Island,
    Has been Celebs in the jungle,
    Coronation street,
    Football,hug and kiss games,

any more Programs out there.

salad_dodger

Three new words for 2020.

ENTERTAINMENT

and

CHANGE CHANNEL,

if you dont like a program, its presenters or format, use one or both actions above #simples

martinhutch

😀

P-Jay
    Free Member

Yeah, I’m with Salad Dodger, I love to moan about shit TV, but in 2020 it’s not about being ‘forced’ to watch crap when you’re watching TV because there’s only 4 channels and one of them is incomprehensible* it’s about filtering the hundreds (if not millions if you consider streaming options) of things to find something you like.

*I’m still slightly bitter that I rarely got to see TFI Friday in the 90s because S4C didn’t broadcast it until 11pm.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Morecambe and Wise are bloody terrible. My mum’s family has inflicted the repeats on us at Christmases in the past but now we just slink off.

jon1973
    Free Member

if you dont like a program, its presenters or format, use one or both actions above #simples

But STW wouldn’t be the same without a “list the things you hate” thread. Might as well start 2020 with a good old moan.

Cougar

Whilst I agree with everything on your list, I’ve got to second the comments of our esteemed greenery-shy colleague here. My Sky box has a thousand channels and that’s before we get into Netflix et al. There’s a shedload of fantastic viewing out there, for all the dross we’re in a golden age of television right now.

Also, “programmes.”

bikebouy
    Free Member

There’s a shedload of mediocre shit viewing out there, for all the dross we’re in an age of a couple of decent television programmes right now, like every other decade.

FIFM

kimbers

Mrs Brown’s Boys needs to be added to your list

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The news.

Poopscoop

Tory Party Political Broadcasts.

si77

Mrs Brown’s Boys needs to be added to your list

I concur.

windyg
    Free Member

Jim’ll Fix It

gauss1777
    Free Member

Crossroads
    Why don’t you?
    White Horses
    Crystal Tips and Alisdair

slowoldman

CHANGE CHANNEL,

Or switch off.

CountZero

Or switch off.

Or read a book.
    Or listen to music.

richardkennerley

Love a bit of Strictly ✨ 💃🕺✨👌🤟😎

hols2
    Free Member

Mind Your Language.

jeffc

Hale and Pace
    Benny Hill
    Anything with Paul Daniels in it

boomerlives
    Free Member

Gavin & Stacey

My dad insisted it was worth a watch on Xmas day.

Apparently the two fattest actors also write it; so that’s why they seem to think they are the best characters. And Rob Brydon plays a man who is hinted at being a pedo.

Laugh? Not at all.

Bin, please.

piemonster

Lost in Space, unless they can come up with a plot line that isn’t perpetually “Danger Family Robinson”

Houns

Last of the summer wine

jimmy

Gavin & Stacey

If the Christmas Special was the only episode of seen I’d agree.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Trying to think of tv shows is too taxing at this time of day, I’ve not watched regular TV for years, we stick to Amazon Video these days rather than watching the carp put out over the airwaves.

fooman

There’s nothing on that list I’ve seen in the last decade but I’m old enough to remember when Eastenders was the ONLY thing on the telly so you pretty much had to watch.

These days it’s the opposite problem, tons of what ever you want on demand, actually too much great telly being made, I simply don’t have time to watch most of it, so I have to be highly selective.

Other than that people can watch watch they want.

I’ve not watched regular TV

I’ve not watch _scheduled_ TV in decades, since video tapes came out, but if you watch moving images on a screen, however delivered, you watch TV.

DezB
    Free Member

BTW a “Program” is something that runs on a computer. I appreciate them not being called “shows” (Yankophile speak), but they are Programmes. Thanks.

I’d add anything involving weird fetishes and/or voyeurism:
    Dr. Pimple Popper
    The Foot Doctor (actually called.. The Toe Bro. Ugh)
    Naked Attraction

Should be left for the internet to contend with.

derek_starship
    Free Member

For the record: I love Coronation Street.

Why Don’t You Just Switch Off Your Television Set and Go and Do Something Less Boring Instead?

cheese@4p

I agree with the Morecambe and Wise nomination and raise you The Two Ronnies. Way past sell by date.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

ok boomers

amodicumofgnar

Last of the summer wine

Ripe for an update – there must be plenty of new material and characters to go at in 21st century Holmfirth. Might be the last generation of the early retirees.

DezB
    Free Member

Why Don’t You Just Switch Off Your Television Set and Go and Do Something Less Boring Instead?

Ok, I’ll stare at my phone, say the kidz of today 😉

retro83
    Free Member

Big Top

convert

Gavin & Stacey

My dad insisted it was worth a watch on Xmas day.

Apparently the two fattest actors also write it; so that’s why they seem to think they are the best characters. And Rob Brydon plays a man who is hinted at being a pedo.

Laugh? Not at all.

Bin, please.

I think suspecting Bryn is a pedo says more about you than the character. Whatever happened on the ‘fishing trip’ was I suspect a homosexual encounter or a where Byrn was assaulted. He is portrayed as supremely naive and vulnerable and a potential victim not as the aggressor.

I’m no TV fan – just about every conversation that started over Christmas with “have you seen….” ended quickly with me says no. Just don’t seem to have time and when I do it’s not high enough priority. But Gavin and Stacey I’ll make time for. It’s a combination of a virtual warm cuddle and very clever and subtle character writing. I suspect too subtle for boomerlives above.

Most of TV – to keep the proles happy innit? They pay their licence fees and watch the adverts – does no harm. There has always been pointless drivel to keep the great unwashed amused and probably a bit less unhealthy than the mass gin drinking of the 18th century and no more junk than chick-lit or whatever the male equivalent would be.

Drac

It’s a combination of a virtual warm cuddle and very clever and subtle character writing. I suspect too subtle for boomerlives above.

It was absolutely trash though. Even my daughter a big Gavin and Stacey fan found it very poor.

They left the Christmas puddings in the pub. Hilarious. 🙄

tnrbilly
    Free Member

Wow – just watched some of Mind Your Language. Slightly staggered that was allowable even in the 70s.
    Unfortunately I have a bad feeling we’ll soon be seeing something similar appearing again once Farage launches his own TV channel.

hols2
    Free Member

My wife likes Will and Grace. Utterly horrible show, seems to be based on the premise that gay people are automatically amusing.

TheWrongTrousers

Any and all crappy quiz shows, Pointless, Eggheads, Mastermind, University Challnge, Countdown, Deal or No Deal et bloody cetera. Cheap to produce, showy offy drossy crap for the terminally bored.
    With the possible excpetions of QI and HIGNY, cos I’m a hypocrite.
    Get in the sea !

chakaping
    Free Member

There’s got to be a case for burying Friends in a disused mineshaft and filling it in?

AdamW
    Free Member

Love Thy Neighbour (yes showing my age). I saw a clip of it a number of years ago and my jaw hit the floor with how racist it was, though to be fair it was always about the racist being an idiot.

All soaps. Every one, including the Archers.
    Kardashian type tripe and anything “celebrity” related.
    Pob. I hated Pob when I was young. Explains my visceral dislike of Michael Gove I guess.

cookeaa

One of the greatest gifts my Wife has ever given me is her own addiction to crap telly.

She loves “The Real housewives of Barnsley”, “Born to money in a London Suburb” and “I really want to be famous, sing-song competition” (or whatever they’re called). Her addiction means I can wander into the lounge, make a few insightful observations about the toss on screen, and then go and do something more useful with my time…

Last night the boss took charge of the remote and was watching something vapid. So I popped my earphones on, went out to the Garage and sorted out the drivetrains on three bikes. it’s amazing what you can achieve when you make the choice to just not watch telly…

I’m Keen not to be held hostage by the rectangular bastard in the corner of the room.
    Yes there are lots of things worth watching, I often end up watching them at odd times when nobody else in the house is using the telly, or just use a phone/tablet/laptop…
    And I think that is one minor benefit of living in the west in this day and age, only idiots sit down to gawp at Ant & Dec in accordance with a broadcast schedule. The rest of us can pick and choose what we watch, what we don’t and of course how and when we view it…

The thing I perhaps prefer to Telly is good old Audio; I’d rather listen to music/a documentary/audio book, leaving my eyes free to concentrate on doing other things, and at least some of that ‘content’ comes from auntie beeb… Your licence fee funds more than just Gavin and Stacey or Celebrity Dancing competitions.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘TV SHOWS, that should be consigned to history, and never be repeated’ is closed to new replies.