Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Turner Burner 650b (?)
  • mattjg
    Free Member

I have a bit of as bike-crush on these at the moment, please help me get over it (and avoid raiding my daughter’s pocket money fund) by posting pics of ugly builds and reviews of how dire it is as a fun all round trail bike suitable for a range of riding from Surrey Hills mince-core to more heavy duty UK rocky place and alpine and so on riding.

Thanks.

ps anyone know if the UK stock has the slightly higher BB (compared to the first batch) I have seen mentioned.

robbonzo
    Free Member

It just looks horrible doesnt it.

missnotax
    Free Member

Yes, looks completely awful and would be a terrible trail bike.

(This doesn’t work BTW – I am getting one 8) )

AlexSimon

I was trying to think of something to put you off, but all I could think of was the fact that Dave Turner might very well ruin it next year by putting a curvy top tube on it.

mattjg
    Free Member

Curvy top tube doesn’t bother me.

mattjg
    Free Member

or are you saying “buy now don’t wait” ?

it’s also not helping that in his videos DT appears to be a reasonable, grounded, ego-free human being who cares about his customers and his product. oh dear.

AlexSimon

or are you saying “buy now don’t wait” ?

😀

Cheezpleez

I’m going to be a party pooper. I think it – and all other DW-link Turners – look gak.

The front and rear ends look like they were designed by separate teams who hated each other.

Cheezpleez

Sorry

sam_underhill

I’d like to warn you off. But I already have a DW flux, and love it. I also have a massive bike-crush on the new Burner. I’d like a more trail orientated bike, and can’t think of anything better (for me).

looks especially good in the ano-orange doesn’t it? Please buy one and then let me have a go. See you in Peaslake……..

AlexSimon

There are a couple of bits which look a little agricultural, but I reckon the overall lines look lush:

ska-49
    Free Member

Well, you bought my yelli which I didn’t get on with. I’m buying the burner so it obviously won’t suit you! I think they look great. Just need to save up the pennies.

mattjg
    Free Member

Sorry

@cheez no need. Not unduly bothered by looks (within the bounds of a pretty large envelope), most FS bikes look a bit gak in truth.

@ska maybe we’re reaching the point of convergence! The Yelli’s a keeper for me. (Reverb, wide flat bars set lower than yours, short stem).

looks especially good in the ano-orange doesn’t it?

liking the black and the clear myself, no idea what’s available in our little isle tho

mattjg
    Free Member

AlexSimon

Also – Just about every time I hear a story about Turner Warranty on here, it gets glowing reviews – usually because they help out a frames’ second owner, or sell bits very cheaply.

AlexSimon

Only downside over recent years has been that Merlin and Wiggle have sold the frames cheaply at the end of the lifecycle meaning second hand value suffers. Currently neither Wiggle or Merlin have any stock, but who’s to say they wont when the new models get announced.

Very poor strategy imo

mattjg
    Free Member

According to the Turner website the warranty is 2 years and is transferrable from the first owner as long as there’s proof of purchase.

Is a refresh of the Burner due?

coogan
    Free Member

A refresh? They’ve just released it ain’t they?

AlexSimon

I think it’s only been out since May.

Someone asked on MTBR and Dave replied:

No plans for a carbon Burner. we have been 142×12 exclusively for a couple years. ISCG? done. Tapered fork compatible? Done. Post style disc mount with replaceable threads? First to do it. Custom SS grease fittings on pivots? Done. Does anyone really want a carbon RFX? I thought that kinda bike was for the Gnar Kore… Knolly is Gnar Kore and he don’t do carbon, so what does that make them C-Bronsons and Nomad-C for?

mattjg
    Free Member

Late last year in the US judging by posts on MTBR.

Presumably US orders get filled first and we suffer from batched import lag too.

There are a couple of posts on MTBR re it being slightly modded to raise the BB a tad due to pedal strikes, I have no idea if the UK stock frames are pre or post that revision. I think it was only a 1/4 inch (6mm or so), and I usually run 170mm cranks anyway so not really concerned.

nickhart
    Free Member

I think they look superb especially in black if you don’t want to think the same then don’t look Here !

Onzadog
    Free Member

I might be slightly responsible for suggesting the burner to missnotax.

I really like them but managed to put myself off by finding out that fox don’t do a 650b float 36.

For me, the 34 would be a bit floppy and I must have something that takes an avalanche cartridge.

mattjg
    Free Member

Nick that bloke works for Turner, us groms would have to have laser etched white gfx on that.

Nice all the same tho, black or clear for me. The orange one with the yellow wheels is very not my cup of char.

nickhart
    Free Member

You’re right matt but it’s not beyond the whit of man to get some stickers made, which is all you see there. If the stickers are well made they’d cover the etching. If you emailed turner direct you may find they could leave the etching off and provide stickers, worth asking….
    In all honesty I think they look great but then have been a fan of turner since my old xce, I love the machining being visible and the attention to detail. I also love the greasable bearings which have lasted me so very well.

mattjg
    Free Member

I don’t doubt Turner would do their best but then it would get all hung up on the importer who has an exclusive deal for the UK, the LBS they insist they go through, and I’d end up bashing my head on a desk. Trust me on this one, I’ve dealt with bike shops before.

5spot
    Free Member

27.5 Enduro Trail / Adventure XC – This marks the triumphant return of the legendary Turner Burner, with 140mm of travel…

Posted by Wheelbase Cycles on Friday, July 5, 2013

mattjg
    Free Member

^^ sorry, to my eyes, that’s hideous

h4c of course

AlexSimon

I agree – orange and yellow might just about work, but not burnt orange anodising and painted yellow.

mattjg
    Free Member

It’s the rims what does it.

I have a very old Blur that colour, it’s very pretty (comes out closer to bronze than orange).

Anyway those pics are instrumental in preferring the raw or black, which I am informed are in stock at Silverfish.

5spot
    Free Member

Not to every ones taste but its how it rides & this is my 8th Turner!650 is great,rolls over rocks,steps better + holds its speed better than my 5spot.

nickhart
    Free Member

Its a bit bright for me but then I’ve always preferred the greys which isn’t for everyone too. It’s a great build 5spot, how you finding the new wheel set? Also compare it to an Rfx if you can, assuming you’ve had one!

mactheknife

5spot, did u have a few test rides on the burner before deciding it was right for you. I honestly don’t think I could like a bike more than my 5 spot but I would love to try a burner back to back to see what areas are improved and if it would suit me.

mattjg
    Free Member

when did you get it 5spot and can you say any more?

rickon
    Free Member

Also, how did you figure out sizing? The ETT is so much longer than the 5Spot, I’m torn between a medium or a large.

5spot
    Free Member

I was unable to get a test ride,on a 5spot I can ride medium or large but the large burner has a well long tt so was not sure if it would be to long.My medium has a 70mm stem with 740mm bars,only had 6 rides but love it,my spot is a heavy build with 36 forks 2.5 tyres,angleset + dropper post,a good lakes, alps bike.
    The only rfx I have tested was a 2007-8 & my spot is a better bike!
    The burner does take a little bit more effort on the climbs but if you push hard it will keep the speed.
    The only other 650 bikes I rode,intense traser @ cube but the burner feels better.

mattjg
    Free Member

Somewhere in this video (actually, 12:20) DT says “trust us on the sizing guys, the top tube is longer because stems are shorter”

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSEAHC-USfM[/video]

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Turner Burner 650b (?)’ is closed to new replies.