Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Tubeless sealant measuring and refil system – Milkit
  • eulach

milkit
    No connection to me but an interesting idea. Not Procore compatible though.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

wow!! Makes my small Stans bottle and normal removable core valve seem obsolete.

(yes sarcasm)

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Solution to a problem that doesn’t exist.

kerley
    Free Member

I don’t even bother with removing valve.
    As it is only a job I have to do every few months I just lever a bit of tyre off, pour some sealant in, pop tyre back on and inflate.

All of around two minutes work.

scandal42
    Free Member

Yup, as above, lever a bit of tyre off and pour my mate Stan’s jizz in.

brassneck

Veterinary syringe here and a bit of aquarium tubing.

munkster
    Free Member

Well after the game I had replenishing sealant in tighter-than-the-proverbial road tubeless tyres this does look interesting if it means that the tyre stays inflated as you add sealant. Popping a bit of tyre off and pouring in the sealant isn’t really an option with the road tubeless combo I have and when I deflated and removed the core the tyre unhooked from the rim and then refused to seat when pumping back up.

If anyone can tell me what I was doing wrong I’d be interested to hear, but in the meantime I am semi-convinced this Milkit thing might be a go-er for me!

leftyboy
    Free Member

@munkster how are you re-inflating? Track pump? CO2?

Northwind

I’m not going to buy it but I still love it, very clever stuff. The valve could be pretty useful for less good tubeless systems- sometimes you inflate with the core out, it’s all good, then when you remove the pump the tyre pops back off the rim.

munkster
    Free Member

@munkster how are you re-inflating? Track pump? CO2?

Track pump. Worked perfectly fine when I first installed them. As an aside I was also told (on “another popular cycling forum”) that using CO2 can freeze the sealant so I try and stay clear of that if I can…

leftyboy
    Free Member

@munkster OK yes CO2 not great I did that and ended up with a solid lump of sealant and lose of air! I use an Airshott to pop the tyre back on and it seems to work every time, it’s a bit pricey but if you run tubeless it’s almost a must have.

munkster
    Free Member

it’s a bit pricey

This milkit thing is half the price yeah. I’m going to give it a whirl I think – it’s the “not having to deflate the tyre” bit that appeals the most. I suppose time will tell whether their valves are good in the long term, presumably there’s some sort of whizzy diaphragm in there somewhere…?

gary

I ordered one on the crowdfunding deal, hopefully showing up soon. Went for it largely as it seemed like a pretty smart if not revolutionary idea. I typically end up with leaks from my Stan’s syringe, and have had normal valves get gummed up with sealant, so if this avoids that then job done for me.

BTW, I don’t think the CO2 thing freezes sealant as such, its that the sealant sets in the absence of air AIUI – which if you think about it, is what you get if you fill your tyre with CO2.

leftyboy
    Free Member

I went with the Airshott as I have more than two bikes setup as tubeless and 2 mates who also run tubeless and it makes re-inflating reliable.

With the milkit thing you still need to get the tyre seated the first time but subsequent re-filling of sealant looks easier.

seadog101

I see one small snag though… As there must be a non-return device at the inner end of the valve, what if you inadvertantly over inflate you tyre, and don’t realise this until out on a ride and want to let a bit of pressure out? You have to remove the valve core and poke in the applicator tubey thing, drop out some pressure, reinstall the valve core, pump it up again, make sure you’ve not gone too hard again (stop sniggering at the back). Maybe repeat the process..

Ordinarily set up valves, pop off cap, loosen the little knob, tap tap, put it all back, away you go.

And I bet I would manage to drop the valve core in a muddy puddle.. 🙄 just like I do with valve caps.

alibongo001

Not sure if it would work, but could you not just get hold of a larger needle and syringe combo and inject through the tyre, as long as you kept the hole you caused when the syringe is withdrawn to the bottom, the fluid should do its job?

munkster
    Free Member

…what if you inadvertantly over inflate you tyre…

Isn’t there a presta valve like normal if letting a bit of air out is needed? Unless I’ve missed something (possible) I thought that you pumped the tyre up in the normal way?

domderbyshire
    Free Member

@Munkster

I remove the wheel from the bike and hang it up, thereby taking pressure away from the tyre. That way it stays on the rim as I put fluid in through the valve. After that I simply re inflate.

munkster
    Free Member

I was specifically talking about the “milkit” valve Dom as per the thread topic. These road tubeless are pretty rigid so I doubt that the weight of the bike (and the bike wasn’t on the ground anyway, it was on the stand) would make much difference, presume MTB tubeless tyres are more “floppy”?. As I let the air out the beads pop off the rim and then one of the tyres went back up, the other didn’t. I am looking at this new system just to try and avoid the uncertainty of whether it’ll go back up again that’s all.

domderbyshire
    Free Member

Fair enough. If the bead comes off the rim with no weight on it you definitely need a solution!

seadog101

…what if you inadvertantly over inflate you tyre…

[quote]
    Isn’t there a presta valve like normal if letting a bit of air out is needed? Unless I’ve missed something (possible) I thought that you pumped the tyre up in the normal way?[/quote]

The tyre stays inflated even when the presta valve core is removed, so trying to deflate it in the normal way, ie, unscrew the little knurled knob and gently press, ain’t going to have any effect.

dirtydog
    Free Member

As I let the air out the beads pop off the rim

Got a Rocket Ron that does that.

munkster
    Free Member

The tyre stays inflated even when the presta valve core is removed, so trying to deflate it in the normal way, ie, unscrew the little knurled knob and gently press, ain’t going to have any effect.

I was sort of assuming that when you did press the knurled knob that something inside these proprietary valves would press onto whatever gubbins is deep inside it and release air that way. Until mine arrives and I give it a whirl (or “gary” who’s posted above) I won’t know for sure I guess. I can’t say I’ve ever added too much air and needed to let any out anyway but I’m mainly talking road tyres these days…

seadog101

@munkster … we shall wait and see..

gary

Just picked mine up from the Post Office this morning. Looks like a nicely put together bit of kit based on just poking things around.

The valve cores do have an extended “plunger” that opens up the diaphragm, so in theory letting air out should be OK.

munkster
    Free Member

Cool, really interested to hear you get on with this. Out of interest when did you order/how long did it take to come?

eulach

I knew I’d seen it somewhere before…

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless sealant measuring and refil system – Milkit’ is closed to new replies.