Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Tubeless question – leaks through sidewalls?
  • scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Ghettoed a spesh purgatory last night. Went up fine with no leaks around the beads. Found it was pretty flat this afternoon. Stuck it in the bath and found a significant amount of air leaking through the sidewalls.

Never had this before. Will it stop as time goes on and more sealant gets sloshed around in there?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

yes

tomd
    Free Member

I tubelessed some Bonty XR4s last month with Stans. It took 4 good long rides for the sidewalls to fully seal on one of them. If you want to save time just brush some soapy water on the rim and you can see exactly where it’s leaking from foamy bits form. I’d never had another tyre take so long, I topped the Stans up after 2 rides as well.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Yeah,best to shake the Stans around.If you can see obvious leaks on the sidewalls lay the wheels on the leaking side overnight.Shake again in morning and repeat on other side.Some of the real lightweight tyres take a week or two to properly seal.
    Thanx Max

mandog

as above, yes.

garage-dweller

I did wonder whether it was worth painting some latex or stans fluid into an inverted tyre and leaving for an hour or two to soak into the sidewalls to get a decent coat before fitting.

Op I have had same issues with spesh 2bliss cured with the slosh and reinlate described by others being the way forward.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Mmm. Maybe.

My Conti’s sometimes start with “mini-punctures” in the sidewalls (not just gently leaking – proper gushing air) and they do seal eventually – but at some point will leak again with another sidewall “puncture”.

Expect to check and top yours up regular. But – you’ll be fine ime.

Northwind

2bliss is a tubeless ready format not UST, so isn’t designed to stay up without sealant- therefore can need some sploshing and some time to seal fully. I generally find a good splosh sorts them reasonably well and the first ride seals them fully.

continuity
    Free Member

I see you forgot to do the tubeless dance.

1) insert sealant

2) use inflator to pop bead onto rim

4) dance

5) ?????

6) profit

Superficial
    Free Member

Much easier just to ride. I’ve had a tyre that no amount of shaking would seal. One ride later and all was well…

Northwind

It’s important to do the tubeless dance right though, if you’ve not thoroughly learned the moves you may punch yourself in the face. Don’t ask me how I knows, I just knows.

continuity
    Free Member

I’ve had a tyre that no amount of shaking would seal

This is roughly the feeling that you’re going for.

if you’ve not thoroughly learned the moves you may punch yourself in the face

That’s just the almighty STAN punishing you for not putting your heart and soul into the dance.

Northwind

Fair enough tbh, the only dances I can do are the St Bernards and the pogo.

Andy-R

Sometimes (IME anyway) it helps if you give the inside of the tyre a scrub with some hot soapy water and scotchbrite before you fit it, as some tyres seem to have release agent residue left inside which makes the sealant “bead” and not spread across the surface of the sidewalls properly.

messiah
    Free Member

Sometimes (IME anyway) it helps if you give the inside of the tyre a scrub with some hot soapy water and scotchbrite before you fit it, as some tyres seem to have release agent residue left inside which makes the sealant “bead” and not spread across the surface of the sidewalls properly.

This^^^ and/or a wipe round inside with meths/degreaser.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Thanks everyone. After doing a small version of the tubeless dance on Thursday night the tyre seemed to stay inflated and I rode last night with no issues.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless question – leaks through sidewalls?’ is closed to new replies.