Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Troute lights?
  • cooie

Chris, you converted my Vision 4 and, because the battery was old it would flash after a short while,we took off the warning flash by a series of button pushes over the phone. I bought a new battery from Smudge and would like to put the warning back on if possible. Cheers In.

RustyMac

I’d like to see some modular lights out on the market.

Something like a head unit the size of the spider eyes or hope vision 2 that you could remove the back plate on and replace it with a piggy back cartridge with 2x protected cells. For a batteries inside light for on the helmet or use it as a bar mount light for when you want to remove everything quickly. Or with the option of the lamp unit and separate battery pack for longer rides.

Other accessories could be a opaic hooded front cover for road use so you get the side visibility of the front light and prevent dazzling oncoming traffic.

muppet4
    Free Member

I cannot say enough how much I like my Liberator. I had the prototype and it’s still going strong and used it last night for the first time since winter, be nice to have a LED upgrade though 😉

I only trust my “Toutie” light with me.

stoney
    Free Member

Rusty Mac,

As If! 🙄

stevemorg2

Chris – did you get my email?

robhughes
    Free Member

Hi Chris.Is it still possible to send you my LL for the led upgrade you where doing or have i missed the boat now.
    Cheers..

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Hi Trout / Chris, as others have said a market for a top class service is there, and people will be willing to pay, just not on a grand scale which may suit you fine, think of it as a bespoke service & charge accordingly!
    Anyway, remember THIS?, I’m still using it thanks to you, looking a tad yellow & the battery life is not what it was, but still more than enough for one ride!
    Thank you so much & don’t give up on us, infact put me down for one of your next batch of whatever, you have my email 🙂
    Cheers.

natrix
    Free Member

Chris, have mailed you to see if you are still upgrading the vision 2’s. Would like to have mine upgraded if poss………… 🙂

marcus7
    Free Member

Only just read this, sorry to hear you knocked it on the head, I’ve just started led lighting production at my place and would be really interested in talking to you about your designs etc, we can manufacture the pcbs for both the controller and led units at a sensible cost. mail me if you are interested you never know!!! Cheers Marcus. ub s

flashes
    Free Member

Chris, if you still have the prototype Spider eyes and need a good home for it, please bear me in mind and when are you coming down for a ride (with your big bouncy madness)???????

stoney
    Free Member

Chris!, I need your help 😛

I need the replacement part for the Dominator bar clamp;

Also i mailed you re some other stuff maybe 10 + days ago, but i have`nt had a reply.

Please,please, please…… I need your help!!!! 😉

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Much troutieness here too, Liberator still going strong, easily the best light on our local night ride

Junkyard
    Free Member

If he cannot help you can have mine- I have the full mount if you want that

I am up in Kendal fairly often these days

I use an old lummi mount on mine

Stoner
    Free Member

first time on the MTB in nearly 12 months today 😳

But dusted off the ol’liberator and I’m back in the game! 🙂
    What an ace light.
    Might be time to have a go at upgrading the leds maybe though for a laugh.

stoney
    Free Member

Stoner, I seem to remember Chris did offer an “upgrade” for the LIb… I used my Lib when the Dominator mount snapped (tend to keep the lib for the road bike)……Yes Junkyard, i need to get the Dom up and running + a helmet light.

LMK, email in profile….. Cheers! 😛

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Trout, Lib still going strong, 2 nights on the trott with it on max most of the way round. Fantastic bit of kit.

grtdkad

Two Liberators here. And one of them has been supercharged!

Reliable and stunning. Don’t retire yet Chris!

Junkyard
    Free Member

YGM

danxz
    Free Member

Stoner – are you going ahead with the LED upgrade? I’m thinking about the same thing. I have one of the XPG/XPE mixed lib 3’s – been looking at an upgrade to XPG2’s to better balance with my helmet lights output.

I found Troutie’s build photos and I reckon with a bit of careful soldering and the right adhesive it doesn’t look like a horrific job to take on.

sponnie
    Free Member

First post and *holy thread revival!*

I wanted to bump this thread now the nights are drawing in :(, but also Echo the previous comments as it saddened me to see an obvious talent being left to disappear into the darkness :p when this thread clearly shows a need for you!

As a man in my mid 30’s I’m returning to this great hobby and have very recently purchased some cheap Chinese lights, Solastorm x2 out of necessity for a quick purchase they will certainly do the job, however I see them as a consumable, but am I happy with that? Well no, my ‘can’t be standard’ personality means ‘m already looking at upgrading the barttery and a nice digital charger! It’s an illness I will never be cured of…

Like a number of mid aged peeps who have bought their fair share of crap and now know the value of quality, I like well designed, robust, unique quality kit and am willing to pay the money for it, as I appreciate the time in design and fabrication that goes into to these “one off” (non mass produced) items. I also like owning cool, bomp proof well researched stuff! (who doesn’t?)

I know a few guys who I’m happy to call good mates, who accomplish and strive for the same thing as yours
    elf Mr Troute, but in a different market/hobby. It’s likely they will not become millionaires but they have been in business for over 10 years paying the bills, and have a good following of like minded people as they produce great but expensive kit.

Forget that there are cheap quick win Chinese kit out there, people don’t buy your kit based on the price alone, we want cool dependable lights!

So if you come out of retirement 😉 count me in 🙂

ironnigel
    Free Member

Glad to find this. I didn’t know Chris had retired. Shame!
    I have a Lumen Liberator too. Superb light.
    Chris, if you are reading this thread I need a repair. I was filming a caving trip using the Lib as lighting. Sadly I have knackered both ends of the three pin connector. Whilst in a crawl I think the lamp/cable got twisted and the little pins have sheared off.
    I’ve lost your email from when I bought the light. I hope you can advise on a repair.

adam1330
    Free Member

Still running my Mk 1 Liberator as well, could do with a new battery now, but the light is still going strong!

carlos
    Free Member

adam1330 – Member
    Still running my Mk 1 Liberator as well, could do with a new battery now, but the light is still going strong!

*I was in the same boat last year and got a new battery off MTB Batteries AKA Smudge. He even swapped out the Troutie light cable, iirc he was looking at buying Troutie’s stock at the time

@ironnigel – You could try him for a repair on your cable too.

Link – http://www.mtbbatteries.co.uk/

*I’m not affiliated with either of the above and have received impeccable service from both in the past.

Carlos

molgrips
    Free Member

Buy the Chinese lights, then go to Smudge for a battery. That is, if he still does them. If not, he ought to start up again cos the batteries are where the Chinese ones really struggle.

smudge
    Free Member

Hi yah,

Thanks for the mentions.

Yes still selling compatible Solarstorm batteries. Plus any other light that may need a new battery.

I can either offer a compatible replacement or possibly re-cell the original battery.

Please email too mark@mtbbatteries.co.uk

Thanks.

robsoctane
    Free Member

@ Trout

If you never make a light again I want you to remember something…

You sir, you’ll go down in MTB history for what you’ve achieved. I’ve never seen a better light, no matter the cost. Your name will live forever in the annals of the dark night records.

Peace from a happy customer.

ironnigel
    Free Member

@ Carlos. Cheers! Will give Smudge at MTBBatteries a go. He’s not far from where I work.

Sadly it is not just the cable that I have norsed up, but the ‘male’ connector in the lamp head too. I’m certain they are standard parts from RS or suchlike but it is knowing what to get and which bits to wire to. Like most folks on this thread I love my Trout light and I am proper p!$$ed of with myself for knackering It up whilst caving.

So Smudge or Troutie if either of you are out there shout up. I’d hate to lose my Liberator.

Smudge – I work just North of Lichfield. If possible I could drop in for you to assess the damage.

smudge
    Free Member

Hi Nigel, sure thing. Bestv email to confirm day and time but happy to meet up and bring the light too and I’ll see what i can do to help.

Smudge

pedlad

Happy to add to the homage for trout. I run a liberator on the bars and a spiders eyes on the helmet (cue comments re too many lumens and lack of talent etc) but I bloody love it as a set up. Smudge has hipped in with battery and cable contributions to keep them working too so recommended.

ironnigel
    Free Member

Cheers Smudge. Out of the country at the mo but will drop you an email and hope to meet you soon.

jordie
    Free Member

Darkness destroyer here and its the best light I have ever had. 3 winters and still going strong

rc200f8
    Free Member

Liberator still working great on the bars along with one of trouties 1800 lumen double xml diy kits on my head – fantastic combination

grtdkad

Here you go Troutie, there’s always a market for quality Lumens..

http://www.lazerlamps.com/home/rs-range/rs8

(… from a proud owner of a Troute Spider Eyes and an ‘enhanced’ Liberator).

ironnigel
    Free Member

Had my Trout Lumen Liberator fixed by Smudge. Top fella.
    Have bought a Nightfire BT70 for underground filming. Won’t risk the Trout light again.

Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Troute lights?’ is closed to new replies.