Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Trolley jacks
  • properbikeco
    Free Member

Needing to get one of these for general duties for car (mk1 octy vrs and forester) and boat trailers etc. Needs to be transportable in boot as emergency jack for boat trailer.

have seen a Sealey 1153CX which looks substantial and should go under vrs front sills.

What is recommended up to about £50

peteimpreza

No brand to suggest but get a 1.5 tonne or 2 tonne one.

Also get some quality axle stands. Do not go under a car only supported by a jack.

Northwind

If it’s just everyday stuff, you don’t need to be too choosy. I got the cheapest Clarke one and it was more than good enough for most use. But it didn’t have quite enough lift for my tastes for more serious work so I ended up replacing it with a higher one.

mrbelowski
    Free Member

Wot he said. Never ever ever ever ever ever trust a trolley jack with your life.

Also most decent quality 2+tonne ones are incredibly heavy things (mine’s like 40 kilos or something silly), so if you’re lugging it around look for a light weight one.

properbikeco
    Free Member

Have got stands, just looking for a sturdy enough jack that can get under car but also lift high enough for fozzy, won’t be lugged around that often but must be able to fit in boot.

Was hoping folks could recommend a stable one – have used el cheapo jacks before and they were a bit ropey on the lift

cloudnine
    Free Member

clarke from machinemart

trail_rat
    Free Member

That is why never to go under a car on a trolley jack – was just placing the axel stands under when that gave….

it showed no signs of damage before hand and was being used correctly on the jacking point of a vehicle well under the weight limit.

you wont go wrong with that sealey , you will how ever find its bigger and heavier than you think – that is good though , longer wider base is more stable.

i ended up with an Arcan 2t (american t) – so about 1.8 Real t its aluminium , its also huge – low profile and has a quick and high lift – its a similar weight to the one above but about twice as long and wide much more stable and means i no longer need to use my bottle jack on my 4x4s. – but its about 108 quid.

properbikeco
    Free Member

nowhere to store one that large though – just want the largest “portable” one I can get which will lift high enough and not cost too much

can anyone better the sealey?

Rockhopper
    Free Member

What’s you car? Most of the cheaper jacks won’t go high enough to get a 4×4 off the ground for example.

jools182
    Free Member

I use a trolley jack, axle stands and a couple of big logs on end before I will go under a car

even then I don’t like it

LoCo
    Free Member

Had similar thing happen to a cheap trolly jack when jacking my old BMW the frame that connected to the plate that goes on the jacking point on the car turned itself into a parrlelogram just as I bent down to put the axle stands under 😯

CountZero

Rockhopper – Member
    What’s you car? Most of the cheaper jacks won’t go high enough to get a 4×4 off the ground for example.

Needing to get one of these for general duties for car (mk1 octy vrs and forester) and boat trailers etc. Needs to be transportable in boot as emergency jack for boat trailer.

burko73

Sign up to machine mart site. They just sent me a vat free on all Clarke tools email. This happens fairly regularly and obviously saves 20%.

spooky_b329

Anyone found a not-to-pricey jack with a high lift and a rubber lift pad rather than the horrible metal ones with lugs?

nealglover
    Free Member

Sign up to machine mart site. They just sent me a vat free on all Clarke tools email. This happens fairly regularly and obviously saves 20%. 16.666%

Sorry 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

Depends what you call pricy. But arcan one has a rubber pad

How ever with my old metal one i just used a bit of wood to protect if needed

jeffl

I’ve got that halfords set. Jack and Axel stands are OK for the odd bit of work. Trolley and wheel chocks are pointless.

trail_rat
    Free Member

True that, i bought the wheel chocks instead pf looking for bits of wood….

Forgot they were there when coming off the ramps, my 31 inch tires meant i didnt even feel them coming off the ramp.

Flatter than pancakes

Ps top tip , never pay full price for halfords stuff…..its only really worth the sale price , the full price you can get better else where.

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

A couple of quid on ebay gets you a rubber hockey puck to use as a pad on top of any cheapo jack.

I cut a slot in mine so I can locate it on things and not have it slide out of place.

wideboy
    Free Member

Is this Halfords kit likely to result in death

I too have that jack, bought back int’ day when I was at uni. Used for over 10yrs now with no issue.

Beware though that I can’t get it under my front bumper on one of my cars, or the sills of another when on winter wheels(not terribly low), not sure how low your sills are.

Also fine for the WRX, so guess it’ll be grand for the forester.

Also: Think I paid £25 for jack and stands, but it was a while ago!

legend
    Free Member

Ps top tip , never pay full price for halfords stuff…..its only really worth the sale price , the full price you can get better else where.

Indeed. Annoyingly that kit was down to £50 last time I looked

Northwind

I’ve got a set of those halfords stands. They’re alright, but the chain broke on both of them so the locking bar tends to go missing, and they’re a bit short on adjustment. If anyone wants ’em and can pick up from Edinburgh they’d be welcome tbh, I just got a set of ratchetty ones to replace them

You get the impression there’s a massive factory somewhere in Indonesia stamping out a billion £20 trolley jacks a year, I reckon the only difference is that the halfords one is baby poo colour instead of red.

backinireland
    Free Member

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/ctj2qm-2-tonne-quick-lift-jack-cw-case-

That’s one I use
    Lifts disco 3 ok

When I had a defender I had a hi lift Jack but tended to just use a bottle jack for punctures.
    Bottle Jack much easier carried

backinireland
    Free Member

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/ctj2qm-2-tonne-quick-lift-jack-cw-case-

That’s one I use
    Lifts disco 3 ok

When I had a defender I had a hi lift Jack but tended to just use a bottle jack for punctures.
    Bottle Jack much easier carried

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Trolley jacks’ is closed to new replies.