Viewing 40 posts - 1,721 through 1,760 (of 2,732 total)
  • Tripster ATR finally built up – lush!
  • dodgy
    Free Member

I’m also not keen on the Spyres, I get loads of squealing from the fronts if there’s any humidity or rain.

I’m thinking of upgrading to Shimano hydraulics.

somafunk

Welcome newbie tripster owners 😀

Has anyone else found the TRP Spyres spongy, noisy, and ineffective?

Not in the slightest, ask around and find someone/bike shop who can set them up correctly, when i ran mine with drop levers/sti’s i could do rolling stops on the front wheel, i now run them with Paul Love Levers due to changing over to Jones loops and they’re every bit as good.

So how many stw’rs do we now have in the tripster club?, must be a fair amount.

brassneck

Has anyone else found the TRP Spyres spongy, noisy, and ineffective?

They aren’t XT hydros, but it might be worth a rotor clean and pad swap to something soft before jumping too far. It’s not a cheap option to upgrade….

brassneck

Well, [disc brakes not withstanding] I’m not sure i’d ride it in a crit.

No danger of that 🙂

majorjonnyd
    Free Member

Yeah – they cleaned the pads and rotors in the shop last time I was in. Still horrible. I used to have Avid BB5s on a different bike, and they were way better than these. Must be the set up. Anyway, it’s in the workshop with a trusted mechanic as we speak, so we’ll see how it goes. I got the impression he wasn’t a fan either.

But, on the plus side – it’s by some distance the nicest bike I’ve ever ridden. Its ability to maintain speed is insane – my average speeds (not that I’m a Strava nut) have gone up by about 1.5 – 2mph on long rides. And it feels like way less effort. I don’t know how they’ve done it. I haven’t had chance to ride it off road yet (it’s got 28mm Continental Grand Prix at the mo) but I’m looking forward to that. And it’s going to get me from Land’s End to JOG in September.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Make sure the cable runs into the correct side of the caliper bolt..
    They can be a bit squeally in the wet tho..

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I used to have Avid BB5s on a different bike, and they were way better than these. Must be the set up. Anyway, it’s in the workshop with a trusted mechanic as we speak, so we’ll see how it goes. I got the impression he wasn’t a fan either.

think that mechanic needs to consider a career change…

BB5s better than the spyres !!!

Daffy

Still interested in a Tripster if anyone is considering selling.

majorjonnyd
    Free Member

think that mechanic needs to consider a career change…

BB5s better than the spyres !!!

That’s not what I said. I said that I found them better. And they were.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I have hit a bit of a problem with my tripster 🙁

matts
    Free Member

Ha! 😆

I’ve entered the ballot for a place in the 3 peaks. I might need some of that. :mrgreen: 😉

How about some of these to mount the flask further up the seat tube?

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/elite/vip-bottle-cage-clamps-ec035478

curto80
    Free Member

The Spyres on mine took a while to bed in and a few tweaks of the barrel adjusters to get right but now I’ve nailed it they are superb.

bluesmartie
    Free Member

Curto80 – how long is a while to bed in please? Anyone running shimano hydraulic (r685) shifters/calipers?

somafunk

I’m not trying to arsey regarding some bike shop mechanics and their incorrect set-up of cable pull brakes but for every individual lever, cable, caliper set up there is a sweet spot to be found if you want firm but progressive stopping power, usually this will involve setting up the actuation arm of the caliper with the correct angle of cable attachment angle so that a minimal pull of the brake lever will produce the maximum amount of pad travel with the minimal expenditure of effort involved.

My spyres set up for my Paul love levers is different from how I set up my ultegra levers and also my bro’s 105 levers.

evilsovereign
    Free Member

started to ride Leah (my tripster) to work, and it’s like lightning with roadie tyres on instead of cx tyres. really fancying long days out on it this summer.

hummerlicious
    Free Member

First time I’ve used my @kinesisbikes_uk Tripster ATR for #bikepacking, it coped well as it got taken on some gnarly bits of trail! The @apidura bags are great too, switch between bikes easily too. by Jim Barrow, on Flickr

Early morning flatulence chorus causes #bivvy hilarity #surreyhills #microadventure #summer #sunrise by Jim Barrow, on Flickr

Having only last week got a sleeping bag small enough to fit between the drops this weekend I took mine on it’s first bivvy trip in and around the surrey hills. Did lots of the usual MTB trails fully loaded too, abba zabba, blind terror, barry’s, summer madness, it’s a capable fun bike for sure!

imnotverygood

I’ve just done my first 100 mile day on the road with my Tripster. Very comfortable and looks after you very well, ironing out the road buzz nicely. Pretty speedy for a bike which isn’t designed solely for the road (running vittoria open paves) You can feel the weight a little going uphill compared to a carbon lightweight, but it feels really secure and planted on the descents. Well impressed.

luddite
    Free Member

Anyone in south Leicestershire/north Warwickshire area got a 51 or 54cm Tripstet that they would be kind enough to let me try for size?
    Pretty please.

Susie
    Free Member

Anyone know of any shops with a 54cm in stock? I ordered one this morning from Freeborn because their website said they had one in stock, but it turns out they don’t. I’ve tried fatbirds and it seems I just missed out, they were waiting for a customer to try their last one out for size this afternoon and it fitted, so she bought it 🙁

andyfla
    Free Member

Richard at Lovevelo in Derby has a 54 as their demo bike, could be worth a call for a demo ride Luddite

bikebouy
    Free Member

Theres a fully built 54cm in Prologue in Harrogate, last time I looked it had all nice things on it and was up for £2300

Rik
    Free Member

Anybody know how big a tyre you can actually get in the carbon fork? Mtb tyre?

matts
    Free Member

I reckon you’d get a 1.75 Smart Sam in the front. I don’t think it’d clear the chainstays out back though.

cloudnine
    Free Member

38c WTB nano race fits

Rik
    Free Member

That’s small fry I was hoping we’ll into the 50s

Susie
    Free Member

Thanks. I’ve emailed Lovevelo and Prologue. I’ve been following this thread for a while but have been travelling and was waiting until I was back before ordering. I’m sure I saw more than one shop with stock a couple of weeks ago, but now they all seem to have gone, I’m kicking myself. I’ve ordered one from Freeborn but it’s 4-6 weeks, so hoping to find one in stock somewhere. I’m NW Leics, so Lovevelo is fairly local, going to see if I can get a demo to make sure I’m ordering the right size (according to Kinesis, at 5’7″, it’s the right size for me, but a couple of people on here have made me a bit worried about sizing). I’m a bit unsure about drops, so a demo will help me decide if I want to go for drops or an alternative.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I am 5ft 10 on a 54 with 110 stem and online seatpost.

If your legs are long and/or you are not going to use it much offroad then it might be ok, as it is supposed to have a shorter stem. But for offroad it might be a bit tall?

I am in Surrey if you are near and want to try mine.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I have 40c roots but I think the clearance with 50s would be right and any mud would start grinding the carbon forks away.

40 is very nice though.

andyfla
    Free Member

Susie, I am 5’10 and I found the 54 was about bank on (not sure what stem size though) – If you are in the market Lovevelo will do a bike fit for the price, so worth travelling if you can

pryally
    Free Member

I’m 5′ 8″ and have a 54cm, wish I’d got a 51cm now, the front end is quite high. Would gladly swap for a 51cm if anybody wants to go the other way?

Susie
    Free Member

Thanks. I do have long legs. I’m not planning on any technical offroad, but sustrans routes and as many dirt tracks as possible to avoid roads. I’m quite tempted to do what Somafunk has done and put a Jones bar on it, I just need to have a go on my partner’s Spaceframe and see how I like the hand position. Prologue have still got the 54 and will sell it frame only, but its £150 more. Waiting for Lovevelo to reply.

llatsni
    Free Member

Finally got mine built up:

growinglad
    Free Member

Looks nice llatsni.

What seat post is that if you don’t mind me asking?

Also, are the calipers hydraulic, Shram, or another brand?

cinnamon_girl

llatsni – may I ask if you’re running tubeless and what’s the tyre and what width? Thanks.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

If you have long legs then the 54 might be OK – and probably better for running with a shorter stem.

I seem to remember from that video with Dom that he had in mind something like a 70mm stem, and as the HA is slack I can see that this is probably true – I found the 110mm stem a bit slow for me until I put the 40c tires on it.

and if you go drops get salsa cowbells…

birdage

I’ve had a 47mm Landcruiser in the front no problem. Any wider would have been a problem.
    I don’t think there are many bikes you can ride round Stanmer, change the tyres for slicks and then ride a comfy, nippy London to brighton!

llatsni
    Free Member

Sorry should have posted some spec!

As pictured:
    – 55.5cm frame
    – Stans Grails on DT240’s
    – 25c Schwalbe One tubeless
    – Sram CX1 hydraulic groupset
    – CK bottom bracket
    – Thomson 90mm stem (currently experimenting with 70)
    – 3T Ergoterra bars
    – EC70 seatpost (KCNC mod)
    – Bel Air Saddle

Commuting/Touring:
    – Tubus Airy Ti Rack
    – Ortlieb Sport-Packer Plus Panniers
    – Curana C-lite guards

brassneck

Hmm, my Ragley cheap carbon seatpost is going to have to go. Spoiling the look of the bike now, too garish.

Have got a set of H Plus Sons Archetypes on Novatech road wheels now (see http://www.spokesman.co.uk) and it’s really rather good. Clement Strada RC 25m tyres, some swapsies done on here for HD Spyres and it’s done bar that post for road and gnnnnarrmac duties. First camping trip needs booking now…

Rik
    Free Member

EC70 seatpost (KCNC mod)

– what’s the mod?

llatsni
    Free Member

Replace the top rail clamp with KCNC yokes and ti bolts. Saves about 50g and works out fairly cheap overall.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,721 through 1,760 (of 2,732 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.