Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • triple shot upgrade
  • onion
    Free Member

Anyone know a way to upgrade a cateye triple-shot to the latest gen LEDs?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I bet trout can. From what I remember of looking at one it looks fairly straightforward – you can take the front off to get access to the leds and they are mounted on star pcbs screwed down to the body which you can get new leds that are the same size – the difficult bit is going to be desoldering and resoldering the connections I guess. Might need new optics – you would need to see.

onion
    Free Member

Hmmm. thanks! The soldering bit is not a issue….more like how do i know that whatt i’m buying is better and won’t kill my battery life….questions questions….

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

What year is the unit? You should be able to find what LEDs are in it from the year. Originally they were luxeons at 120 lumen an led -modern ones can be 300+

If you don’t alter the electronics battery life will be the same as the leds will pull the same current – you will just get more light from the more modern leds

I think xpe are a direct swap and xpg might need new optics

try candlepower forums

onion
    Free Member

THANK. YOU. ! Good idea

bland

Let me know how you get on, i have been thinking this for some time as the unit and battery are all a really good solid unit but just lack in candles

Del

i think i’m right in saying that the more modern LEDs require a higher forward voltage than those likely fitted to your cateye so just swapping out the LEDs is not very likely to be the way forward.
    have a look at trout’s post wrt upgrading the hope vision 2 unit. that will give you a good idea of what’s involved, and from that, whether or not it’s something you fancy taking on yourself.
    trout/smudge and a few others offer very sound advice.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

My understanding is the xpe / xpg takes a similar forward voltage to the luxeons and older crees. the xml / mce / p7 is different

soma_rich
    Free Member
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘triple shot upgrade’ is closed to new replies.