Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • tripe – EUGH!
  • philconsequence
    Free Member

eugh!

anybody eat it?

some of the new dog food we’ve got has tripe in it…. smells disgusting!

i have vague memories of my gran doing something with tripe, i dont remember her feeding it to our dogs…. maybe if she was eating it it would explain why she was such a monster of a woman.

joao3v16
    Free Member

My wife, who is from Brazil-land, has a native tripe recipe that she insisted on cooking once … somehow it made tripe just about palatable … I tried some to be polite, but it’s just too weird in general 😀

binners

My gran used to buy it for her cats. I’ve never known a human consume it

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I used to love it as a kid apparently, my folks couldn’t figure it out because they certainly didn’t eat it.

Turned out it wasn’t a type of fish so I went off it!

Drac

My Dad does serves it seasoned with salt and pepper swimming in vinegar. I use to eat it when I lived at home but don’t like the taste anymore.

philconsequence
    Free Member

see it wouldn’t surprise me if she served it swimming in a bowl of vinegar and hatred.

olddog

When I was a kid, in the 70s, my parents brought some home with the “we used to have this when we were kids, it’s lovely just try some” line. I managed about two mouthful, about one more than my parents – truly nasty. And I never have been prissy about food, perfectly happy with others sorts of offal as a kid, but tripe is just a slimy mess of pukeness.

You can tell it’s bad because none of the current nostalgianaut chefs are attempting to push it!

boxfish
    Free Member

My step-sister used to eat steamed/boiled tripe by the plate load. She also used to sleep with her eyes open, standing up behind the living room door. She’s also ginger.

She is not a cat.

KonaTC

anybody eat it?

Given its cheap, plentiful, doesn’t pose a health risk (it’s from animals) and can be disguised as ‘meat’, I bet 50p (not a gambling man) you’ve eaten some recently!

thx1138
    Free Member

Tripe? It’s offal.

portlyone

I can’t stomach it.

mogrim

Big in Spain, local speciality in Madrid for example:

Awful stuff, can’t stand it.

chakaping
    Free Member

I know it’s very fashionable among “foodies”, but I remember seeing a documentary about it (on BBC 4 I think) where they explained that it had to be bleached before it was safe to eat.

That didn’t encourage me to give it a go.

binners

That looks absolutely rank!!!

jock-muttley

When I was a callous yoof had a mate who used to eat raw white tripe and vinegar…. 😕

A small group of us were wandering round town one day during the summer holidays and he he bought some and proceded to eat it alternating between bites by waving it in my face finding my reaction hilarious (just the thought of it makes me retch)…. after doing this a couple of times he got warned by me not to do it again or I’d punch his lights out…. course being a typical teenage lad he just had to do it one more time… then wondered why he ended up sat on his butt with a bloody nose 😛

sunnrider
    Free Member

I make it sometimes.
    Recipe is:
    Ox tripe, boil it for three hours with salt. Slice it up and add chickpeas fried onions, garlic, chorizo sausage.
    Give that a sautee and then add some tomato, bring to the boil and simmer.

For most people, so long as they don´t realise what it actually is I can guarantee that it a tasty dish that will have them asking for more. Spuds and peas optional.

Should look like this:

ocrider

Tripes a la mode meridionale: Quite tasty
    Gras double Lyonnaise, check. When in Lyon…

Andouillettes: Smell and taste like blocked drains.

sunnrider
    Free Member

@ocrider

I have a small list of traditional foods that I just avoid.
    Top of that list is Andouillettes. It´s a pigs colon, that smell just isn´t going to be nice and no amount of Dijon will hide it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

RustySpanner

Jessies!

For god’s sake don’t try elder if you find tripe a bit much.
    I wouldn’t even google it if you’re that sensitive a flower.

Mind you I was served a whole, small octopus with my seafood starter on Sunday.
    Ate a bit, rest went back….
    Wasn’t sure what to do with it, tbh.

Tried Andouillette a few years ago.
    Not a fan.

Philby

My Dad does serves it seasoned with salt and pepper swimming in vinegar

My Dad used to bring it home regularly and had it with loads of vinegar and white pepper – used to quite like it. Remember once taking some back to uni and a few of my mates trying it – all retched or spat it out. Had it cooked in milk and onions a couple of times, but wasn’t too keen on that.

My Dad also used to bring home Chitlins (Chitterlings) which are essentially the intestines of a pig. Again excesses of vinegar and white pepper were the only accompaniment. Quite liked them, though some could be a bit too fatty.

I’m sure every other kid used to get sweets brought home!

Crell
    Free Member

I used to eat it raw with vinegar and pepper, but my mum used to fry it in milk with onions. I really liked it; but I’ve not had it for years.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘tripe – EUGH!’ is closed to new replies.