Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Trek tapered headtube with 1" 1/8th fork
  • Wozza
    Free Member

Ok so as long as it’s not on fire when I get there i’m about to buy a 2010 Trek Fuel EX 9.8 frame with a tapered headtube but the problem is I run standard 1″ 1/8th forks.

What do I need to run my forks on this? Is there a way to adapt the current headset that’s in it? Or is the Hope £70 headset my only option?

I’d like to keep it on the cheaper side if that’s possible. Cheers for the help in advance.

z1ppy

Headset have turned in to a mine field, IMHO. A bloody right nitemare,
    I checked out the cane creek fit finder and your expected to know the headstock measurements… bloody useless (though the bike I wanted the headset for wasn’t listed in there guide).
    Give it a go and see if you can work it out – I may well have just been being stupid.

Wozza
    Free Member

It’s a nightmare but the people at Leisure Lakes just explained it to me. I think that the trek is 1″ 1/8 at the top and 1.5″ at the bottom. I can use a hope reducer cup at the bottom and all will be sweet.

I hope.

peterob

As another alternative (much cheaper), Trek provide an adapter plate for the lower 1.5″ headset cup to allow you use 1 1/8th forks, when they do replacement frame upgrades. It looks just like a big washer, albeit a bit burlier.
    I got one when they replaced a Fuel Ex frame this summer allowing me to use my existing fork. Works fine, you wouldn’t know its there. Will work until you need/decide to upgrade the headset.

Wozza
    Free Member

I like the sound of that, would I get that direct from Trek/Distributor?

peterob

Presume so (I went through local distributor here in Ireland), it can’t cost too much either.
    I requested it when they were organising the new frame, so it’s something they must do regularly when people are moving to the tapered headtube.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Hope pick and mix is your friend, just get the bits you need.

If you want to try a Hope 1.5″ step down to 1.125″ lower assembly I have a black one spare.

£15 to you. Mail in profile if its of use.

Wozza
    Free Member

YGM

stumpy01

peterob – Member
    As another alternative (much cheaper), Trek provide an adapter plate for the lower 1.5″ headset cup to allow you use 1 1/8th forks, when they do replacement frame upgrades. It looks just like a big washer, albeit a bit burlier.
    I got one when they replaced a Fuel Ex frame this summer allowing me to use my existing fork. Works fine, you wouldn’t know its there. Will work until you need/decide to upgrade the headset.

This is what I got from Specialized when they replaced my original aluminium frame (1 1/8 headtube) with the carbon version with a tapered tube.

chakaping
    Free Member

Hope make an item that does the same job FYI.

You pop the collar over your 1 1/8in steerer – which widens it to 1.5in so you can put the 1.5in lower crown race on.

Wozza
    Free Member

I think i’ve found the part!!! I have a tapered integrated hope headset in there now, so to use 1 1/8″ fork I need part number HS136

Link to Hope

Cheers

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Trek tapered headtube with 1" 1/8th fork’ is closed to new replies.