Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Trek Superfly AL Elite 29er
  • vanlovestick
    Free Member

TREK say – ‘Superfly is THE choice for the speed aficionado seeking the ultimate efficiency of a hardtail and bigger 29″ wheels’

Assuming that this statement is true why does it feel considerably more sluggish and less engaging to ride than my 2009 Gary Fisher Cobia? Out of the box weight is a respectable 26.22 lbs. but the bike seems to have a real sense of inertia on anything other than a downhill gradient.

I’m convinced that the wide bar & mid-length stem combination is a major contributor to the dull feel of the bike; the steering feels nowhere near as snappy as my Gary Fisher or an On One Scandal that I have recently ridden (both of which run narrower bars & shorter stems).

Naturally I’m now looking for a cost-effective ‘quick fix’ (to sharpen things up and add a turn of speed) and would be grateful of any guidance / advice from anyone else who has experienced a little bit of ‘out of the box’ disappointment from there new 29er?

zippykona

Draggy brakes,tyres ,wheel bearings?
    I find 29ers ride different to 26. Namely on hills when you want to change down, change up apply more power and off you go. Found this out when I decided to ride my test hill in a high gear for a spot of leg strenghtening. Lots quicker than spinning

vanlovestick
    Free Member

No, no & no… It’s perhaps a little hard to describe but the bike just seems to have a bit numb feeling until you manage point the wheels in the direction of a downward gradient.

Thanks for the tip I will certainly give it a try!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Trek Superfly AL Elite 29er’ is closed to new replies.