Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Trek road bikes with discs?
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

Trek say that MY2014 is the last model year so that they can introduce running changes when they need.
    The Boone cross bike is disc equipped.
    The Boone frame is essentially a Domane with disc mounts.
    Trek and have a very close relationship with Shimano and their R785 brake is about to become available to the masses.
    Keith Bontrager has just been talking about disc road wheels in a positive way.

So, when do we think it might happen?

STATO
    Free Member

MY2015

Onzadog
    Free Member

Won’t they be playing catch up by then?

mrmo
    Free Member

have heard that the new stuff will be hear in a couple of months, there will be no MY2015 bikes

As for playing catch up, who makes discs? From what i have heard Trek as a company haven’t been impressed with SRAM and the QC issues.

Hardly playing catch up when there are very few bikes out there, and you can argue that they have been dong disc bikes longer than most, Lemond Poprad anyone.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Couple of months could well be worth the wait. The sram situation wasn’t a great start but on the plus side for them, it looks like they’ll be releasing mkII before people get to play with Shimano mkI.

xanboy
    Free Member

Shimano road hydro discs are on bikes in shops. I’ve seen a cannondale and a BMC already.
    Had a test of them last week.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

I wonder if hydro discs will be to powerfull for the road with sudden stops??.I think my Hayes cable ones are just right for the road on my Trek crossrip.We will see!!

njee20
    Free Member

No, they won’t, just as they’re not off road.

Whether they are necessary is something else, bit like off road really – in perfect conditions a rim brake is perfectly adequate, but add in really crap conditions and a very predictable (and powerful) brake becomes more appealing. The 105s on my winter road bike are dreadful in the wet.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

xanboy – Member

Shimano road hydro discs are on bikes in shops. I’ve seen a cannondale and a BMC already.
    Had a test of them last week.

The trouble with Shimano hydraulic road discs is that at the moment you have to have di2 electronic gear system as they don’t make Hydraulic brake and cable gear shifters yet .

grantway
    Free Member

Maybe someone could come up with an handle bar air bag

Onzadog
    Free Member

Seems we didn’t have to wait that long. Trek have just released a Domane 4.0 disc and a Domane 6.9 disc.

Perhaps the autumn will see a 5 series with the 105 mech shifter/hydro brake.

Like the bolt through axles as well.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Trek road bikes with discs?’ is closed to new replies.