Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Trek Remedy 9.7 2011 chain guide – help
  • marsandback
    Free Member

Hi, just got a Trek Remedy 9.7 (carbon frame) and the chain slap is driving me nuts – never used a chain guide before but read it can help. So been looking at the Blackspire Stinger, removing the outer chain ring and sticking on a bash guard. Everything I have read so far says the carbon Remedy has no ISCG mounts and you cant use a BB mount cos its a press fit. The picture below is of the 9.9 frame and I have added an arrow to something I have on my frame as well – can you mount a chain guide to it? If not, what is it??? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Nibsy
    Free Member

I contacted Trek about this exact thing. They say that no chain guide is available at present. Apparently it’s to protect the BB shell from the chain. Hopefully we can read into the “at present” that they are developing one? Trek also mentioned that some people have made their own to connect to the Front Mech mount, though i don’t fancy connecting one to there.

meandyuk

nice frame!

marsandback
    Free Member

Dang – thats not what I wanted to hear! Thanks for the info tho Nibsy. I will have to get some ear plugs. Any body know if you can buy the Specialized Dangler?

Bikeradar-‘All of the standard Stumpjumper FSR models will also come with a new chain retention device called the Dangler – a low-friction, 30g chainstay slide glide built using composite plastic technology borrowed from KTM motorcycles. While the Dangler looks low-tech, during our rides at the launch it did an admirable job keeping the chain on and goes unnoticed while riding; it’s quiet and doesn’t add any perceivable friction to the system.’
    http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/specialized-2012-mountain-bikes-first-look-30937/

Nibsy
    Free Member

The 2012 replacement for the Scratch has a chain device but I suspect the frame is threaded Bottom Bracket. There are a few chain devices knocking around that clamp to the chainstay but I don’t want to do that with a carbon frame and they are a bit simplistic, think of the old Dave’s Chain Device or simialr with a Jockey wheel on.
    Fingers crossed that someone at Trek has noticed the demand and sorts something using that strange bit on the bottom bracket housing.

wagenwheel

I run a Remedy with an alloy frame and noise drove me mad, so I can sympathise.

Don’t laugh if i’m wrong, but If you convert it to a double chainset then shorten the chain and fit a medium cage derailleur won’t that help?

I know it’s not the answer your looking for and Just an idea, I have no experience on this.

leethol99
    Free Member

I have same problem, whilst in Alps this year i was forced to improvise by cutting an old bar grip in half, feeding the chain through it, then tie wrapped to rear frame. Worked a treat to be fair although slightly out of place on such an expensive bike! Steel ring on BB is for protection against chain damage, I suspect could work as bracket with some creativity. Only possible i have seen is the Dangler but theses are only on stumpies, part of frame protection. Still need one so will continue to search. Will let you know if i ever find one. PS. spoke to TREK, no joy, not interested. Good luck

honourablegeorge

This looks liek it’ll fit – http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=61255

Not sure it’ll sort chain slap though – you’ll probably want that new XTR mech with the wee clutch thingy.

neil853
    Free Member

I’ve had the same issue with my Blur LTc, I tried shortening the chain and fitting a short cage mech, didn’t help at all. Luckily I can fit a BB mount chain guide (fitting a MRP G2 this weekend).

Take a look at the new XTR trail mech, I looked at one up close at the Dalby WC and looks like it would work, bounced it around and chain slap was definately reduced. Not cheap though…..

dahwee
    Free Member

After spending an hour trying to figure out how to fit this $150 ISCG version of the MRP 2x chain guide this thread has confirmed that I’m an idiot. As a new owner of a gently used 2011 Trek Remedy 9.7 I was stoked to fit this chain guide for my run down Porcupine Rim (Moab, UT) later today.

Lessons learned. Only am 8mm Allen is required to remove the crankset. Don’t pay attention to the 16mm locking ring. The frame is NOT ISCG compatible.

FYI the SRAM gen 2 deraileurs are forecasted to hit shelves in August 2012 and will offer similar chain tensioning benefits to the Shimano XTR Shadow plus without the required maintenance.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Trek Remedy 9.7 2011 chain guide – help’ is closed to new replies.