Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Trek Fuel EX sizing
  • faint
    Free Member

Just taking an interest in a Trek bunners has for sale on the classified as I was thinking it might be a bit more trail friendly than my head down arse up anthem but looking at the Trek website they seem to have tremendously long top tube for the size of frame.
    what have I missed ?

bloodyshins
    Free Member

The sticker on the seat tube of the Fuel EX bikes quote two sizes for each frame. A virtual size (which is the one you should go off) and an actual size (which is what the frame will measure if you take a tape measure to it). I sell these bikes day in day out and have found them to be a bit on the small side compared with other manufacturers bikes. For instance an average 5'10 to 6' guy will probably want a 19.5" fuel, where as they would normally ride an 18" bike. I think you are probably reading the actual size which will be generally about two inches smaller than the virtual size, there fore giving a top tube length of a bigger bike.
    I hope this explains it

kevin1911

I'll be watching this thread with interest. I tried the 18.5 and 19.5 virtuals in a shop at the weekend, and really struggled to tell the difference from just sitting on them. I think the 19.5's top tube is about 1.8cm longer, which should be quite easy to sort with a shorter stem and sliding the saddle forward a bit. Still enough standover height for me and I'm 5'9" or 5'10" with 32" inside leg. I'be just ordered a 2nd hand 19.5 frame on that basis. Would love to hear of others riding the 19.5 who are the same height, just to ease any nagging doubts I may have 🙂

faint
    Free Member

bloodyshins that would add up with what bunners is saying
    at 5'11" the large would be correct but that top tube and wheelbase measurement is really off putting.

kevin1911 where do you order a second hand frame from? I'd be interested to see how you get on aswell being an inch or two shorter than me

kevin1911

Well, I say ordered – what I mean is bought – off here as a complete bike…

GTDave
    Free Member

My Fuel EX is the 18.5 / 17.5 size.
    I'm 5'11", 32" inside leg.
    Size is spot on for me & my style (lack of) of riding.
    I could barely tell the difference when testing this one & the next size up (19.5) for fit, but this one feels more 'chuckable' on the trails.

faint
    Free Member

GTDave
    that was the answer I was looking for (unfortunately)

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

6'1 and went for a virtual 19.5. Found the virtual 18.5 just a bit too cramped. Swapped the stem over from a 100mm, which was killing my lower back, to an 80mm which is spot on. Have a fair bit of post out for climbing, but if I drop it just a bit for the fun bits it's fine. Thought I'd made a really big mistake on sizing as it didn't feel right for a while, but swapping the stem made a big difference. Good all day bike, very comfy BUT getting the sizing right and moving stuff around is important. Can you find a dealer anywhere near to throw a leg over one ?

Rickos
    Free Member

*cough* I have a frame for sale – 17.5 inch medium though, not the 18.5 inch medium. *cough*

ampthill

I rememeber thinking that they looked mad long on the website but my 21.5 is fine for me, with an 80mm stem )I'm 6 foot 4 and rise with the pin almost all the way out). The bars are longish head ttube and fork make compariosn to my last hardtail hard. With the same bar and stem the bars are higher but further forward. Any way 3 short rides in and it seems to work OK

From memory my bike feels no more setched than an XL Anthem i demoed

Have you tried raising the bars on your Anthem or a shorter stem…

Its crazy cheap to try and a must before changing bikes.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Trek Fuel EX sizing’ is closed to new replies.